Question to those in the Service

DaddyBuiltRacing

Guest Scooter

I just find it funny that if an Air Farce soldier has to utilize an ARMY barracks, they get "substandard living pay" which is about $150 a month extra. Just for using the same building that other branches might find perfectly fine. But the Air Farce is so used to their hotel rooms with maid service...

Army Air Corps ftw!

I love hearing the little air force fags bitch about having to deploy for 4 months.. that and they don't even have to carry their weapons around. The incoming alarm sounded while I was in the chow hall a few weeks ago and all air force dweebs dove for cover under their tables :lol: and the chow hall has a harded enclosure. Anyways they get paid and treated a little better but god they're a bunch of pussies.

Join the marines or army if you want to man up, join the air force if your main concern in life is how much hair gel to use in the morning.

Who is doing 4-month rotations?

We are doing 6-mo or 1-yr tours last time I checked but it depends on your career field and mission. You are talking about a small majority of the AF not everyone is doing 4-month tours... :nono:

Not to mention some jobs will never require you to pick up a gun. Score higher on your ASVAB and you won't have to either... :p j/k

I just find it funny that if an Air Farce soldier has to utilize an ARMY barracks, they get "substandard living pay" which is about $150 a month extra. Just for using the same building that other branches might find perfectly fine. But the Air Farce is so used to their hotel rooms with maid service...

Army Air Corps ftw!

The difference is the AF normally takes care of there stuff better and keeps it for a long period of time. Not to mention the AF takes money from there budget to keep the living standards high.

ARMY spends there money on new tanks and equipement long before they spend it on there housing. Nothing wrong with that but not how I want to live. If your base house isn't any nicer than your deployed trailer, why even go home in there eyes.

Where are these hotel rooms with maid service? I've never been on a deployment like that. It's been a tent everytime and MRE's 25% of the time. I've deployed with US Army, Navy, Marines; Canada, French, Korean, Australian, etc...etc... and a human is a human. Some just more hard headed than the others... :cool:

I've only been to two horrible mess halls in my entire 8 1/2 years Active Duty. Columbus AFB, MS and a German Army Base in Germany. I've been to probably 60 chow halls. I'd say basic training and Keesler AFB MS were the best. Nothing wrong with deployed food but the same 7-day rotation GETS OLD QUICK when you are there for 1-month let alone 6, 12, 15+.... :(

Yea I bitch about the 4 months every year cause were always either getting ready for a deployment, coming back, or preparing to prepare for one. And its not like we just go ourselves we pack up all our equipment, from a laptop to M-923s everytime gets old, and if we dont have enough to do in the AOR we have an exercise over there too. And we had to do site defense, im tellin you its just the nature of the squadron im in most other AF units dont do the same and I envy there jobs, well I envy being on the non-operational side of the air force. Its sucks not having a local mission in the states. But yea it could be worse I couldnt imagine the long deployments the other branches do.

Ive spent time on a army post 8 months at Ft. Gordon, and 3 up in NJ for training with the army and its pretty much the same to me. Keesler AFB wasnt bad at all though especially since I was there through out mardi gras pre-Katrina.

I think its interesting that every soldier I talked to who was CURRENTLY in the Army said to join the Army. While every retired soldier I talked to said to join USAF if I wanted to go into a service.

If you really want to man up... join the French Legionaire's. It doesn't sound like you want this to be a lifelong commitment, just something to help you get a step up. I would say USAF could give you that.

Guest Scooter

The "dorms" in Volgelweh, Germany, had maid service. Their rooms were like hotels. Large beds, private bathrooms, a full array of furniture. Carpet...

Very nice, actually. If you are single.

If you are married, it just gets better. You get on OR off base housing. The on base housing isn't bad, but you get like $2000 a month for off base housing. Same if you are in for a certain period, you get hooked up with off base housing. Some soldiers had 3 bedroom apartments all to themselves in Germany. Life of luxury?

And while I was there, they had 6 month deployments. But it was 6 on, 6 off, 6 on, etc etc.

The Army is now "supposedly" 12 month deployments, 10 months boots on ground, but they can be deployed as often as the military wants them to be. It used to be X months, with Y boots on ground, but you got a decent 2-3 year break between deployments. Unless you were critical, like MPs or Combat Engineers...

Scooter,

An overseas location is completely different than anywhere else in the AF. I've still never heard of a maid service in the dorms unless you are TDY in the VOQ/VEQ. Plus, you get a lot more money and better housing overseas BUT it isn't like that ANYWHERE else... :nono:

As far as deployments, even that wouldn't be bad. We are getting the 15-months home 6-12-months gone bit now. I'm sick of it. Lots of changes that I didn't mind when I was single. Now that I have a family it gets old quick since I'm not as flexible when it's more than myself to worry about. I can't just pack up my shit in storage last minute and pocket the BAH while I'm away.

Every former Marine, Navy and Army guy I have talked to has all said go Air Force if your going to go in. They said the treatment the AF gives thier soldiers is much higher then that of the other branches.

I've heard that many times too.

Like I told you on OH. Basically, go where the job you want is. It's ok to make choices based on other things. But don't join the Air Force if you wanna do infantry. Or the Army if you wanna fly a jet.

Go where the job you want is.

My brother is Navy as a Helicopter Mechanic. He loves most of it, cept he hates the boat. He's stationed in Japan and actually has life going pretty well.

On the other side, I got a friend who's in Iraq with the Marines.

Myself, I'm doing Army ROTC. So I'm in a bit of a different boat. I got a 4 year scholarship for college along with a monthly pay. In return I just got to take a couple classes, do pt, and some labs.

I couldn't decide on college or the military, so this worked out well for me. Though I wish we at least went through OCS like Marine ROTC.

Final thing. Like I said on OH. My bro says, choose your rate, seal your fate. He's been trying for 2 and a half years to make E-4 and hasn't got it yet. One of his other friends is in Afghanistan with the Marines as Corpsman. He's had 2 news articles written about him and he is still an E-3.

Goodluck. :D

I loved most of the time in the Submarine Force. You have to know, when you are the new guy in the military it is a bit different than if you are the new guy anywhere else. I need to know very quickly your temperament and how you will handle stress, so I will make your temper flare and your stress level will elevate quickly. In the submarine force we need to know if you are going to start fighting the fire or start burning in it, will you combat the flooding or drown, if you want to save the lives of your brothers you combat the casualty.

Some days are peaches, some days are pits and you will make some of the best friends you have ever known.

I've heard that many times too.

Like I told you on OH. Basically, go where the job you want is. It's ok to make choices based on other things. But don't join the Air Force if you wanna do infantry. Or the Army if you wanna fly a jet.

Go where the job you want is.

My brother is Navy as a Helicopter Mechanic. He loves most of it, cept he hates the boat. He's stationed in Japan and actually has life going pretty well.

On the other side, I got a friend who's in Iraq with the Marines.

Myself, I'm doing Army ROTC. So I'm in a bit of a different boat. I got a 4 year scholarship for college along with a monthly pay. In return I just got to take a couple classes, do pt, and some labs.

I couldn't decide on college or the military, so this worked out well for me. Though I wish we at least went through OCS like Marine ROTC.

Final thing. Like I said on OH. My bro says, choose your rate, seal your fate. He's been trying for 2 and a half years to make E-4 and hasn't got it yet. One of his other friends is in Afghanistan with the Marines as Corpsman. He's had 2 news articles written about him and he is still an E-3.

Goodluck. :D

I don't know what they are doing wrong but in the AF E1-4 is automatic. Some branches you can put the rank on sooner but in the AF, you will get E2 at 10-months, E3 around 16 and E4 at 36. Unless you are screwing up you are promoted automatically by the time requirment.

The thing that sucks in the AF is you can't get them any sooner. You can make BTZ and have E4 at 30-months but any rank after that you have to test for. You won't get field promoted like you can in other branches.

All branches have there good/bad but like most have already stated, "Pick a branch based off of the JOB you want!" There are some cool jobs but sometimes things don't work out and you can't retire in the military. Because of that, I always recommend getting into something that is marketable on the civilian side. Infantry is cool but you won't get many jobs with "Can kill people" on your resume... :(

While active got sick of the 1 year home, one year deployed shit. You come home get maybe a month off, then back in the field, back to ranges, training and straight up balls to the wall work. You don't get much of a social life if you're in combat arms in anyway shape or form. (Combat engineer, scout, infantry, tanker, gun bunny arty) Granted I got out of active duty having put 2 tours of Iraq in not so friendly areas Tikrit aka Sunni Triangle back in 03' during the begining to 04, then in 05' took the very tip of Sadr City then moved to an Al-Qaeda infested AO. Can't hear for shit anymore, knees are kinda shot, have no short term memory for shit, and a few other things. But I'd go back and do it again and again if I need to. I ain't volunteering, but I'd do it again. I got out this past March from active duty in 1BCT 4th Infantry Division @ Ft.Hood. My ass joins the National Guard a month later and kinda plan on stayin in another 14 years and get my retirement check. Army's got it's ups and downs, but I wouldn't trade it for any other service. Fuck being easy, if I ain't got sleep, food, and something cold to drink, I'm in my prime ;)