New World Bench press record

fattyona12

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Halbert, do you compete? Where do you train?

Not anymore. I did compete APF, SLP, AAPF, etc...

I trained in my basement and at a high school gym where I coached powerlifting.

What do you weigh and what are you pushing...

My usual competition weight is 181. My usual raw bench is anywhere around 405-450 depending on placement in my training cycle. I don't compete in sanctioned meets raw. My shirted bench is 550.

I haven't trained in a while, so I would need about 1.5-2 months to back up those numbers. There was a pic or vid around here a while back of me doing something like 600lb board presses.

not a freak its very common for guys that small to bench alot now 400 is a large number but not comparitivley to a guy that weight 300 that can bench 5 or 6 somethign raw and with a shirt like 7 almost 8

besides who wants to be known as sir bench alot anyway

the reson hal can bench so much is due to his being short (now let see who belives this)

not a freak its very common for guys that small to bench alot now 400 is a large number but not comparitivley to a guy that weight 300 that can bench 5 or 6 somethign raw and with a shirt like 7 almost 8

besides who wants to be known as sir bench alot anyway

the reson hal can bench so much is due to his being short (now let see who belives this)

:cool:

Not a freak no. At the age I was competing I was the strongest drug free teen in my weight class. Now that I'm getting older, and no longer training for max effort, I'm nothing more than above average.

There is a guy in my team that competes @ 164, and tossed up 410 at the last lift. He looks like a mini triple H with his pony tail. He is about 5' 4". All natural.

Being short is not advantageous, but having SHORT ARMS is. I am not blessed in this area with my ape arms. :(

*Serious question*

Isn't it bad to arch your back way above the bench like that? I've been told that you could severly injure yourself benching like that, but obviously those guys weren't benching half a freaking ton...:confused:

*Serious question*

Isn't it bad to arch your back way above the bench like that? I've been told that you could severly injure yourself benching like that, but obviously those guys weren't benching half a freaking ton...:confused:

Yes, it is bad for your back. Furthermore- at competitions (at least up here) your but has to stay on the bench for the entire lift, or your lift is disqualified. I

*Serious question*

no it isnt bad for your back to arch your back, its actually better for your shoulders to do that.

for a legal lift your shoulders and butt have to be on the bench and your feet on the floor.

no it isnt bad for your back to arch your back, its actually better for your shoulders to do that.

for a legal lift your shoulders and butt have to be on the bench and your feet on the floor.

What he said.

Tell me that when you 50+. I will gladly push you around in a wheelchair. ;)

It may not be THAT bad, but its nothing I would recommend to do in your daily workout.

It may not be THAT bad, but its nothing I would recommend to do in your daily workout.

ha, by the time i'm fifty ill probably be in better shape then you were in your prime, and deadlifting about as much as your former colt weighed.

Ok, should I have my dad call you now or later? Arching your back like that won't hurt you. It takes a long time to even be able to do it.

My usual competition weight is 181. My usual raw bench is anywhere around 405-450 depending on placement in my training cycle. I don't compete in sanctioned meets raw. My shirted bench is 550.

I haven't trained in a while, so I would need about 1.5-2 months to back up those numbers. There was a pic or vid around here a while back of me doing something like 600lb board presses.

wow. i never quite made it to 405. got to 390, when i weighed 235lbs, but i can't afford to get hurt at all, so 315's the highest i go now.

for someone at 180lbs, that weight is insane

ha, by the time i'm fifty ill probably be in better shape then you were in your prime, and deadlifting about as much as your former colt weighed.

Its good to have goals. BTW-when will I be in my "prime", and why dont you just get to that point now? No need waisting time right? :lol:

Ok, should I have my dad call you now or later? Arching your back like that won't hurt you. It takes a long time to even be able to do it.

Later is fine. Im working in the garage right now.

Its good to have goals. BTW-when will I be in my "prime", and why dont you just get to that point now? No need waisting time right? :lol:

Later is fine. Im working in the garage right now.

you are already probably past your prime :p

i have been arching my back like that for about 16 years since i have been benching. also have hit 405 in the gym two different times raw at a 175lb bw, so im pretty sure arching your back when you bench wont hurt you. ;)

you are already probably past your prime :p

i have been arching my back like that for about 16 years since i have been benching. also have hit 405 in the gym two different times raw at a 175lb bw, so im pretty sure arching your back when you bench wont hurt you. ;)

Again-IMO its not worth the chance of issues down the line. While I am 60+, retired, and loving life, you "may" be going back to the hospital to see what surgery they can do to help with your deteriorated discs.

I will stick to benching flat back, thanks. :cool: