Went out for milk.....and came back with this. *PICS*

Minty Fresh

http://www.mintyfreshproductions.com/pics/eight1.jpg

http://www.mintyfreshproductions.com/pics/eight2.jpg

Finally picked up my Eight. :cool:

I'm really liking it so far....it's a totally different animal than the TA. And it's taking some getting used to. The Powerband is nice though....it's got a pretty even pull, 'round 4,500 it opens even more....it's pretty crazy hearing it scream at 7,000+ RPM's too. It's balanced VERY well....and handles incredibly. Makes the TA seem extremely sluggish, like a boat...handling-wise.

More impressions later....just thought I'd post a couple pics.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much is your monthly oil bill? :D

I can only assume that any recent production rotary's oil metering system has been designed such that it uses a negligible amount of oil between oil changes. Otherwise you'd run low on oil, by design. That's not a way anyone would design a production engine. It would be a nightmare from a warranty/customer compliant standpoint. The 3rd gen engines don't have the issues with the oil metering system that the second gen's had. So they've not had an issue with that design since the early 90's.

What year TA are you talking about. And I'm assuming your meaning "Trans Am". I've yet to see an RX-8 that makes a TA look Sluggish. Granted for handling its a no brainer for the RX-8 but not acceleration and speed.

What year TA are you talking about. And I'm assuming your meaning "Trans Am". I've yet to see an RX-8 that makes a TA look Sluggish. Granted for handling its a no brainer for the RX-8 but not acceleration and speed.

PSS....don't tell anyone I told you, but TA's handle like crap compared to the RX8, or most other things that aren't minivans.

II ain't gonna go out and race right now cause of a broken ankle but they handle pretty decent.

:lol:

I have a broken RIGHT ankle, Torn ACL and MCL and mangled Meniscus in my left knee, and a broken Right wrist with 4 pins and and a plate in it. I could race easy and did the other day. :o

They don't make STIs with automatics...... :cool:

I just got out of a cast Tuesday after 3 months and ain't about to risk another few months of hell just for a race, especially when I have another surgery coming up in two weeks. And by the way, broken fibula, broken tibia, broken tarsal, torn tendon, torn ligament, torn cartilage, 6 inch plate, 5 short screws, 2 that cross my ankle, and wire to hold the tendon in place.

I like it. I've liked them since day one. Kinda design that will always look good IMO. I just wish they had a bit more torque and grunt. I loved my S2000 and it was a fun ride, especially in comparison to my GXP, but I always missed the torque and low to mid range power when I drove it.

I like it. I've liked them since day one. Kinda design that will always look good IMO. I just wish they had a bit more torque and grunt. I loved my S2000 and it was a fun ride, especially in comparison to my GXP, but I always missed the torque and low to mid range power when I drove it.

I won't argue on the fun factor, RX-8's are fun as hell to drive. The handlings awesome, I just like having the torque and grunt. A buddy has one and its a blast to drive on back country roads.

And my bad, I didn't catch the sluggish in handling area part. I apologize

I can only assume that any recent production rotary's oil metering system has been designed such that it uses a negligible amount of oil between oil changes. Otherwise you'd run low on oil, by design. That's not a way anyone would design a production engine. It would be a nightmare from a warranty/customer compliant standpoint. The 3rd gen engines don't have the issues with the oil metering system that the second gen's had. So they've not had an issue with that design since the early 90's.

Mazda issued a recall on the oil consumption for the Renesis engines. Some were burning three or more quarts between changes. Automobile magazine actually took theirs back after a few thousand miles from demo'ing it because of the consumption problems.

http://trends.autoblog.com/2006/08/24/mazda-to-recall-the-rx-8/

Google "RX8 oil consumption recall" and you'll see a long list of problems.

IMO: overpriced, underpowered POS. Good looks, nothing else.

In August 2006, Mazda announced that it would recall its 2004, 2005 and some 2006 Mazda RX-8s due to a miscalculation with oil metering of its RENESIS engine.

Mazda reported that this had led to the engines in some RX-8s to experience problems with severe power loss and rough idle, most notably in warm climates and those exposed to high traffic conditions.

Mazda�s recall allowed the models to be tested for the power-loss problem, and that all engines that failed a vacuum test were replaced at no charge, even if the car was out of warranty.

The replacement engines also corrected other issues ranging from flooding, hard starting and complete loss of compression. Mazda said that only about 1% of the RENESIS engines needed to be replaced.

However, on all the vehicles that did not require an engine replacement, Mazda said that the ECU was reflashed to provide for more oil injection at idle and under low rpm driving.

Under the recall, the catalytic converter and leading spark plugs were also checked and replaced as needed. Mazda then extended all recalled vehicles� drivetrain warranty to five years/60,000 miles.

It should be noted here that full synthetic oils should not be used in Mazda rotary engines, which have unique and specific lubrication requirements. Always check the vehicle owners manual.