Big Ten Network

ShoMeSomeFun

Quick question on the BTN

Right now I live in georgia and my roommate order the ESPN Gameplan. But now I just read or misread that I wont be able to see any Big 10 games because of the BTN, unless they're picked up by ABC, ESPN, or ESPN 2, and the BTN holds the exclusive right to air the game if they show choose. Is this correct, I cant justify going half on the gameplan and not being able to see at least more than 1 or 2 games for the season.

Im really considering getting Direct TV just for the channel, just my roommate wont get rid of the cable.

I'm not a fan of the major leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, etc) because of the money. Its not about the game anymore, its about the money. Now they're doing the same shit to college sports. Fuck them. I say we start our own backyard football league. Anybody can play. We'll fucking video it and stream it over the internet for free. Sound good?

I'm not a fan of the major leagues (NFL, MLB, NBA, etc) because of the money. Its not about the game anymore, its about the money. Now they're doing the same shit to college sports. Fuck them. I say we start our own backyard football league. Anybody can play. We'll fucking video it and stream it over the internet for free. Sound good?

Dont forget their doing so without the "overhead" of actually paying athletes' salaries. They make rules banning monetary contribution's to players and their families but then turn around and sell the very product the player is giving them. Who benefits? Sounds like slave labor to me. In 10 years the NCAA will be just as profitable as any major league sport, all while not paying a single player what he is deserved.

Dont forget their doing so without the "overhead" of actually paying athletes' salaries. They make rules banning monetary contribution's to players and their families but then turn around and sell the very product the player is giving them. Who benefits? Sounds like slave labor to me. In 10 years the NCAA will be just as profitable as any major league sport, all while not paying a single player what he is deserved.

And charging us as home viewers to see it.

What happens to the mid-tier teams of the league when a supposed better teams will be playing, will they not get any air time? I thought the whole idea was to gain national exposure so said team has a better chance at playing for a national title, and making a better name for the conference to get at-large bids. I wonder if any of us living out of Big 10 areas will even get to see highlights of Big 10 teams.

what I don't understand is why Time Warner has a problems with the price Big Ten wants. Back home(Sandusky) Buckeye Express (a Time warner owned company) has the big ten network as part of thier basic cable package for no extra charge.

ABC and Fox HD will carry every game except the first 2

That isn't confirmed, you can bet your ass that an OSU vs Big Ten School game will be on the BTN... And FOX does not get Big Ten games

This is how the choosing goes

BTN gets 3 weeks of choosing tier 2 games

3 weeks of choosing tier 3 games

6 weeks of choosing tier 4 games

Tier 2 would be an ESPN, ESPN2 or ABC regional

Tier 3 would be like ESPNU

Tier 4 would be like an absolute regional game, like Indiana vs Northwestern

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/2007/BTNspin.htm

what I don't understand is why Time Warner has a problems with the price Big Ten wants. Back home(Sandusky) Buckeye Express (a Time warner owned company) has the big ten network as part of thier basic cable package for no extra charge.

Because BTN is making too much money off of it, their pricing is outrageous

ESPN - 2.91

YES - 2.15

NFL Network - .75

NBA TV - .35

Disney Channel - .79

TNT - .89

USA - .49

CNN - .44

Nickelodeon - .41

BTN needs to be in the .40-.75 range before it will get picked up I'm guessing

EXACT same thing WOW is dealing with. We are still trying to negotiate as well, but are dealing with the same crap as Warner. We heard Insight has pulled out of negotiations totally.

Not only do they want to charge $1.10/customer, they also want to force us to put it on the regular basic programming. Basic analog channels take up a lot of bandwidth, the same bandwidth can hold a number of digital channels.

Like that article said, because there is a stake in it with Direct TV, they get a good deal on it. Of course they won't offer any similar deal with any of the cable companies.

What we want: put it on a digital channel and be charged a reasonable rate for it. Is that too much to ask for?

However, Big Ten network is great for someone like me: a fan of a "non-premium" team (Illinois) that would allow me to watch more Illinois games on the network. I think Illinois has had maybe 1 football game per year on regular TV in the 6 years that I have lived in Columbus, and that includes the year they won the Big Ten.

The Big Ten network will also show all the coaches shows, plus CCHA hockey. I think the channel is a great idea *in theory*, but I think the BTN and the cable companies need to get the sand out of their vaginas, and stop holding the fans hostage.

Let's just say that I wouldn't want to be in the offices of either the BTN or the cable companies on the first day that fans won't be able to see games. Fortunately for me, the first Illinois game is versus Missouri and will be on ESPN2!