First car for a 16 year old.

Buck531

If you had a son who is two years away from (possibly) driving, what would you get them? Here's the stipulations.

Must be under $1000 (more like $500) I was thinking of getting something on the cheap and spending a year or so fixing it up. Possibly next year when taxes come back. That way I could take my damn good time on it knowing it's right and I can get him to help me work on it whille learning the car.

Maybe something that needed a motor. Or some massive work done it (body or what not).

V8's are out of the question. He doesn't need a RWD V8 for his first car. I dind't have one. neither should he :). I had an 84 Cavalier my parents bought for $500 from my neighbor that needed $300 in work to get it rolling. I had that car for a few years and sold it for my Corolla GTS.

Anyways. I was thinking FWD. Auto probably for a first time driver. 2-4 doors, doesn't matter. Something reliable.

Am I asking too much? I dunno. Just looking for opinions I guess.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Find me a Civic without 200000000000000000 miles that's under $1000.

Even if it does have

miles:

1. its easy to fix

2. parts are dirt cheap

3. they do well in crash tests

4. theyre good on gas

I am still in highschool and I feel that you are being a little strict. I mean yes he doesnt need 300 horsepower or anything of that nature. But if your parents paid $500 when you were in hs, $500 now would buy shit. You should make it $2000.

No. You shouldn't make it $2000. It sounds as though your plan will get you to $2000, when it is all said and done. I like your idea, I was treated that way growing up as well. I think, let him learn to drive in a car that is low power, auto, front drive. Let him prove his skill in a car that he can't get himself into alot of trouble. Teach him about "HIS" car fix it up, see how he progresses into it.

As for the car;

80's VW's easy to play with, cheap, mostly reliable, alot of them to be found in ok shape.

Good luck.

I'm sorry but as well as the AUTO thing goes, what is the point? Stick shift is much safer if you teach your son how to properly drive it. You can use your engine to slow you down by down shifting instead of braking, which is much better in snowy conditions.

Honda/ Toyota!

5 spd corolla or camry.

Early 90s Subaru or 90s civic. Both are reliable even at higher miles.

The other option is a 4cyl or 6cyl pickup truck. Dirt cheap to insure, maintenance is a snap, and even rusty trucks still have a coolness to them. Plus, it makes for a handy beater for the family when he's not using it.

I'm sorry but as well as the AUTO thing goes, what is the point? Stick shift is much safer if you teach your son how to properly drive it. You can use your engine to slow you down by down shifting instead of braking, which is much better in snowy conditions.

Honda/ Toyota!

5 spd corolla or camry.

Wrong... thats how i got pwnd by a fire hydrant. I down shifted thinking it would be better, untill i realized that the gear trasition made the tires skid... so i layed into it full blast with the wheels turned and it went right up onto the curb and into a hydrant.

Just use the brake pedal... very easy.

I am still in highschool and I feel that you are being a little strict. I mean yes he doesnt need 300 horsepower or anything of that nature. But if your parents paid $500 when you were in hs, $500 now would buy shit. You should make it $2000.

Car values are stupidly low. I have an '86 Corolla. If I were to sell it, I might get 500 for it at most. That won't even buy one wheel and tire for my new car. But it's a fully functioning car that'll run forever.

Car that Runs > One Wheel/Tire

Go fig.

Back OT: I say get him something with a stick shift. He'll learn more about the car and how to drive it better. I think everyone's first car should be stick. THEN if you don't like it, go auto. But at least you'll have a better grasp of how a car works.

I agree with zeitgeist57. Get him an old Subaru. The AWD is good for bad roads/weather. And Subarus tend to be a little on the underpowered side(with a couple noteable exceptions ;) .) I think an old Impreza or Legacy with a stick shift would be perfect.

Get an older Saturn. You can find them for under $500 that just need a little work. I could always help you and give you a discount on OEM parts.

I have an '86 Corolla. If I were to sell it, I might get 500 for it at most.

I'll take it.

But seriously, get a cheap slow car that he can learn about. My first car was an '87 Plymouth Sundance Turbo w/ a lot of work done to it. I blew it up in two weeks. I wish I still had it. :(

I like the ideas, but you are missing the big picture. I plan on possibly buying a car a YEAR before he even gets his license. Something we can work on together and fix up and get him going. Something he can learn on how to fix, get to know, etc. It's not like I'm going to buy him a car the day he turns 16 and say "here, go fix it". Hence the reason so cheap.

If I can get a halfway decent car for 1000 that has a few issues with it I'll just go to the junk yard and get a part and put it on. See what I'm saying?

Yes, If I were to get a car and give it to him the price would go up. But since I"m having almost a complete year to fix/repair the car in need then why not? I'm attempting to think ahead in life :).

I agree with most of your requirements, except for the auto part. I think a low horsepower manual car would be a great thing to start out with. Making him learn manual will teach him to pay attention to his driving instead of talking on the cell phone or trying to do other stupid shit that distracts from what he should be doing. It's much easier to talk on the phone and eat McDonald's when you don't have to keep a free hand for shifting.

My first car was the Miata, and while it's not what most would consider a "safe" car for a 16 year old, I've never been in an accident, and after my first speeding ticket in the car I decided to get smart. It's RWD, which taught me to REALLY pay attention when driving in snowy conditions, and it was a quick fun car without being too fast for me to handle safely.

BTW, I'd consider a late 80's or early 90's 4-cylinder Camry. Big enough to survive an accident, not fast, good gas mileage, and they run for fucking ever. I work at a Toyota dealer and seeing these things come in with 300,000 miles is not uncommon.

I like the ideas, but you are missing the big picture. I plan on possibly buying a car a YEAR before he even gets his license. Something we can work on together and fix up and get him going. Something he can learn on how to fix, get to know, etc. It's not like I'm going to buy him a car the day he turns 16 and say "here, go fix it". Hence the reason so cheap.

If I can get a halfway decent car for 1000 that has a few issues with it I'll just go to the junk yard and get a part and put it on. See what I'm saying?

Yes, If I were to get a car and give it to him the price would go up. But since I"m having almost a complete year to fix/repair the car in need then why not? I'm attempting to think ahead in life :).

Damn... If this was Massachusetts, I'd say to go to Helping Hands. They have a whole lot of semi-junk cars. I wouldn't know where to go around here.

A rough down shift is just like slamming on the brakes, since it causes the drive wheels to suddenly slow down. Believing that new driver is safer doing so than properly applying the brakes is a risky. Especially if they are young, inexperienced and among traffic that doesn't slow down in a controlled or predictable manner. Even worse is if they do it going into a turn.

If someone in front of them changes lanes or brakes hard, typically they will panic, and push in the clutch and then slam the brakes. Most cars on the road have ABS and thus I would recommend teaching them about threshold braking which will stop them in a shorter distance and in complete control with predictable results every time with two hands on the wheel. I'd also invest in a good Mid Ohio driving school safety course.

Then you need to learn how to down shift.

Braking is not good, skiddage for sure in bad conditions. I would much rather use my engine to slow myself down then by using my brakes in snowy/ rainy weather.