Easy car payment question

dragknee66

It's best to send a separate payment and mark principal only on the payment stub and on your check.

I do this on my home mortgage and have never had a problem. The paper trail is very simple to pull up should there ever be a question then too.

I like to put extra money towards my payments each month..

Should I just make the REQUIRED payment to that amount, and then a seperate payment aside from that marked "PRINCIPAL ONLY"? I heard this was a good thing to do. Anyone?

It's best to send a separate payment and mark principal only on the payment stub and on your check.

I do this on my home mortgage and have never had a problem. The paper trail is very simple to pull up should there ever be a question then too.

Agreed.

If you have a payoff penalty, this amount should be clear as it is the difference between your balance and "today's payoff"

Maybe switch to an online account with your lender and make electronic payments?

To cover yourself, make that extra payment separate. The best thing to do is talk to the lender and see how they apply it to the account. Banks don't all do things the same way. And there should never be a pre pay penalty on a car loan after 12 months.

on my mortgage it is interest only for 10 years, but i pay the normal mortgage price every month to pay down some principle, i have the interest only because if things are ever tight all I have to do is pay the much lower interest payment, plus the interest amount goes down every month, it's pretty cool. But where I am headed with this is that I always make an extra payment for the principle amount separate because they may take it as an extra payment rather than a principle payment

Depends on the loan terms. Some banks have penalities for early pay offs. I know on my monte carlo it just shows me like 1 payment ahead right now.

If your bank is doing it this way, you are still paying the same amount in interest as if you would just pay the correct amount. The bank is just sitting on your money until the following statement date and making money off of the gift you gave them.