Anyone know exhaust laws?

mkent93

I'm about to the point where I can start driving the car and working on part throttle/cruise/idle tuning. However, I just have an open downpipe and the turbo did not muffle the sound as much as I originally thought it would.

I need to find out if its LEGAL to dump the exhaust out the side in front of the rear axle or if I have to run it out the back of the car.

I know on trucks the exhaust must dump behind the cab and I would assume the law is the same for cars...which means a tail pipe at the rear bumper... My 3" banks after-cat pipe and muffler doesn't flow very high HP so I'm hoping I can just run a high flow 4" bullet muffler and dump it.

This is a custom front mount kit made by RealQuick (a board member at cz28.com). It's not pretty but it seems like its going to work! I'm just running a T70 right now because I have not come across anyone giving away a T76 yet.

I do like the STS systems but this kit was cheaper. I have watched some FAST track cars with the STS.

I'm not so much worried about the noise thing--as long as it looks like you have an exhaust they don't seem to bother people no matter how loud it is, but when there is clearly no exhaust past the rear of the oil pan, I'm probably going to get harrassed. I would like to install a cut out off the down pipe and run run exhaust before the axle.

Should I just buy some 3.5" mandrel bent pipes and weld/clamp them together or should I take it to a shop and have them bend it? Who can bend 3.5"?

I run mine out the sides in front of the rear axle. No problems here.

That's exactly how I'd like to do it. What size pipe are you running and what muffler? My buddy just gave me a 6' section of 4" pipe so that should get me started if I can find a deisel shop to bend it.

That's exactly how I'd like to do it. What size pipe are you running and what muffler? My buddy just gave me a 6' section of 4" pipe so that should get me started if I can find a deisel shop to bend it.

2.5" w/ bullets, true duals.

When I get around to it, I'm gonna upgrade to a 4" as well, but back to a y-pipe configuration..

i have 3.5" with race bullets, and it loud as hell no matter what.

didnt have a issue at all last year.

before that i had 3" x-pipe with 2 chamber flows....not as loud, but stilll no issues!

Cool deal, guys. I took it for a drive with no front bumper and just the front mount shining in all its glory. It sounds pretty good with open downpipe while cruising around but it smokes pretty bad on start up and when i rev it up at idle. I'm thinking I must have damaged some valve seals when I installed them because I had alot of trouble getting them on. ....either that or I have oil going through the seals of the turbo

Guest RoundIIRacing
What's up michael ?I saw you were wanderin if it was me on here,you guessed it right!I got the "big stuff" put on my car!You got any experiance in that field?I'm currently facing some wiring issues,cause the shop that installed it didn't hook everything up!That "big stuff" is some crazy shit!Your car is lookin real good!How does it run?You ready to line them up.....?I can probably help you out on the exhaust issue,pm me sometime!