From LS1 to.......

V8 Beast

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Max, aparently he is. Obviously he only knows about the "rumor" of the replace engine light. Rotaries are no where near as bad as what the ignorant make them out to be. It is all about the upkeep on the car, change the oil when you should and run good gas. When it comes to modding, do the reliablity mods first, such as radiator, downpipe, and some sort of fuel cut defenser or stand alone.

What a Jackass.

Nitrousbird, does your LT-1 even run?

Jackson

I don't own an LT-1. That's a reference to a motor from the 70's.

Glad you are happy to be in rotary denial. So when I look at adds for turbo FC's and FD's, there sure must be a LOT of people joking about the motor being blown, or it being replaced only a few thousand miles before hand. Of all cars made any time recently, name a car that has more non-manufacturer motor swaps done to it. Hell, ask how many current or previous rotary owners HERE have popped their motors. :)

So when I look at adds for turbo FC's and FD's

Forum post:

"Hey, I got an MBC, i set it to 25psi on stock everything"

week later...less maybe...

"OMG IS MY MOTAR BLOWN?"

It's usually ignorance, same with any turbo car...DSM for a fellow example. Actually any other car. Something stupid, like dialing the boost up insanely high on stock cars will blow it up eventually. Sometimes motors just get old and die, and need rebuilt.

Non-manufacturer swaps...light chassis, great handling, cheaply obtained.

Also, rotaries are put in everything as well. Bugs, civics, corollas, miata, hell, I think Alex from OhioRotaries is putting one into an Isuzu Impulse. They're usually thrown into lighter shells for race motors because they can last during endurance races at 8000rpm.

There are many good cars mentioned here...and you have to be almost stupid to argue against the C5 ZO6 or C6 ZO6...but I"ll throw another option out there.

Porsche 996 Twin Turbo? '01's are showing up in the high 50's to low 60's now depending on mileage...and with only a chip and exhaust they will make 400-425 at the wheels and drive like stock when not in the boost. The turbo / GT3 / GT2 all use the same "GT1" engine block configuration. Look at Cavin's car it's making >700 whp with the same stock bottom end that comes in the regular Turbo cars.

Just a thought.

Andy

Damn, Thorne beat me to it and got shot down. :p I really think an STI is a good choice. A used '05 with forged internals, big rotated turbo, FMIC, supporting mods, and you're at 400-450 at the wheels which is over 520-570 at the crank with a conservative and streetable tune. Meth injection and race fuel and you're looking at 500whp. Use an AP for your tunes and you can switch back and forth at will. Get a launch control map and it'll leap off the line like a startled cat.

And as it was mentioned before, you won't have to care about the weather. It could be a blizzard outside and you can still get out of the house and get some groceries. Just wave to the black STI in the 4 wheel drift that slides past you. That'll be me. ;)

Ok.. Hmm.. So if STIs are out, I assume Evos are too... So we're really back to something with a big motor and RWD. (Unless you find a Cyclone or Typhoon out there.) In that case, the FD w/ a LSx swap sounds like it might be a good idea. You can apply what you know about the LS1 in your car to tuning it, and structurally the FDs are pretty solid.

The 5.0 mustang idea wasn't too bad.. Reliability wise it may not be the best, but you'll never run out of mods.

EDIT: HP estimate was off.

The 5.0 mustang idea wasn't too bad.. Reliability wise it may not be the best, but you'll never run out of mods.

I disagree. The 5.0 Mustang is one of the most reliable platforms as well. My '86 has been one of the best cars I've ever owned and it's 21 years old... :eek:

We sat here for 2 hours last night thinking about cars and nothing popped out at us. I did find this article while we were looking though

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/johnhaag1/Corvette%20Muscle%20300ZX%20LS1/CorvetteMuscle300ZXLS1SportZsumm-1.jpg

PITA but sounds like fun

Glad you are happy to be in rotary denial. So when I look at adds for turbo FC's and FD's, there sure must be a LOT of people joking about the motor being blown, or it being replaced only a few thousand miles before hand. Of all cars made any time recently, name a car that has more non-manufacturer motor swaps done to it. Hell, ask how many current or previous rotary owners HERE have popped their motors. :)

im not in rotary denial, there's nothing to deny, my car runs, and runs well enough to wax plenty of cars on here. Im not saying there arent people who blow up rotaries, im just saying they're usually stupid. Also, the reason you see so many for sale is because no one wants a car with a blown motor. its the same case with the O.P. here, his car died, he wants something new. How is that rotary specific? You act as if every RX-7 out there is on its fourth or fifth engine becuase they just blow up, its simply not true. Also, plenty of SBC cars blow up engines as well, they arent some sort of invincible motor. just look at that 'guess whats in my oil pan' thread, or even the O.P.'s car!

as far as people swapping engines, its all in the chassis. its a cheap, light, amazing handling readily available chassis. not to mention its ginormous tranny tunnel and RWD set up that make it capable of accepting damn near any engine. as far as other people on here blowing up their engines, that's on them. I dont know what they did to their car or how they did it, but i know what I've done and what people i know have done, and I know these engines dont suck if you do it right.

Shelby GT500 SS. Let her have the T/A and get that. They come with 725+

Ford Racing Supercharger upgrade kit producing over 725 horsepower system.

6-speed manual transmission with a Ford Racing short-throw shifter and 3.73:1 rear axle ratio

JBA manifold and back system for the 725 horsepower option

Engine dress up kit including billet aluminum fluid caps and dip stick handle

Ford Racing suspension tuning including dynamic adjustable dampers, lowering springs, tuned stabilizer bars, and front strut tower brace

Exclusive Shelby- Alcoa 20-inch forged wheels with Super Snake center caps

Shelby / Baer 6 piston forged front brakes calipers with cross drilled and vented rotors all around

Front and rear brake cooling ducts

Side scoops, carbon fiber front fascia splitter, mirror covers and rocker panels

Classic Shelby design hood with functional scoops

Super Snake exclusive striping

‘Shelby’ lettering across the front edge of hood and rear deck lid and 'Super Snake' badges

Center cluster with Carroll Shelby signature gauges for boost, fuel pressure and oil pressure

Shelby embroidered headrests, Super Snake door sill plates, aluminum map light accent, floor mats and other exclusive components

Official Shelby CSM dash plate

Shelby GT500 SS. Let her have the T/A and get that. They come with 725+

Ford Racing Supercharger upgrade kit producing over 725 horsepower system.

6-speed manual transmission with a Ford Racing short-throw shifter and 3.73:1 rear axle ratio

JBA manifold and back system for the 725 horsepower option

Engine dress up kit including billet aluminum fluid caps and dip stick handle

Ford Racing suspension tuning including dynamic adjustable dampers, lowering springs, tuned stabilizer bars, and front strut tower brace

Exclusive Shelby- Alcoa 20-inch forged wheels with Super Snake center caps

Shelby / Baer 6 piston forged front brakes calipers with cross drilled and vented rotors all around

Front and rear brake cooling ducts

Side scoops, carbon fiber front fascia splitter, mirror covers and rocker panels

Classic Shelby design hood with functional scoops

Super Snake exclusive striping

‘Shelby’ lettering across the front edge of hood and rear deck lid and 'Super Snake' badges

Center cluster with Carroll Shelby signature gauges for boost, fuel pressure and oil pressure

Shelby embroidered headrests, Super Snake door sill plates, aluminum map light accent, floor mats and other exclusive components

Official Shelby CSM dash plate

Could you be a little more specific please :D

Honestly a cobra would be a good idea. Great driveability, and so easy to mod too. Don't let the problems you see with me car scare you away, she's kind of a bitch.

For the money you put into your car you could have a kb2.8, built motor, spray, solid rear, and possibly a 4r70W. That right there is a 9 sec car.

+1

my car has the stock headers, stock midpipe and cats, stock rear end, stock clutch, full-weight stock interior, and WELL over 500rwhp. if you didn't know any better you'd think the car was stock. it idles glass-smooth, and is VERY quiet. with a better clutch, catless midpipe, and more agressive tune, i could be knocking at 600rwhp.

and (knock on wood) i haven't had ONE problem with this car

I know it's been done. I was just curious if Sam was really gonna do it.

I already have some of the parts coming my way now. All I need to do is find a shell that I am happy with and then it will be build time. Which talking to Chris, who is goin to guide me through the build, seems to think we can knock it out in a weekend. Then it will be getting a nice turbo on it for a power adder. It should make its revealing in spring of 08..

I already have some of the parts coming my way now. All I need to do is find a shell that I am happy with and then it will be build time. Which talking to Chris, who is goin to guide me through the build, seems to think we can knock it out in a weekend. Then it will be getting a nice turbo on it for a power adder. It should make its revealing in spring of 08..

Damn! V8 with a turbo in a light car. What type of suspension is needed to get the tires to hook?