A Gear Higher on Polaris

Science Abuse

Short: Buy stuff there.

Long: There are enough business owner here to know that only your faults are made public, and good practices aren't talked about. In an effort to change that:

My dad's bike needed wheels. It was a 1965 Schwinn Continental rolling on original hoops, so yeah it was a bit rough. I pick up some wheels at another shop, and head up to Lewis center where the bike is. Front wheel swaps lickety splits. The back...about 20mins after I get the wheel off, I realize I'm not getting that sprocket assembly off. "Only two people open the backs of watches; Fools and watchmakers."

So, off tot he nearest "watchmaker", A Gear Higher. My boy in one arm, two wheels in my other, I tug on the door; Locked. I look down at their hours, and I was 3mins late, they just closed.

As I walk toward my car, a head pops out; "Can I help ya?" I tell'm what I need, and says I can still drop the wheels off and pick them up Monday. We go in, and he calls back to a bearded fella of higher rank and asked how to ring it up. He comes out, looks at the wheels, looks at me, looks at the other guy..."That's it?...C'mon back". Two minutes and a twist of a tool I don't own later, I'm at the register again with my sprocket swapped, all fo the lofty sum three'fiddy. $3.50 for after hours service, can't beat it.

http://yellowpages.aol.com/business/a-gear-higher/ashley/oh/1,119854090/

good to hear theres still decent businesses in this world

if you didnt catch my other thread, i bought a car from a major dealership in april, 57k miles...2nd owner warranty expires at 60k. 2 weeks ago, 63k miles, out of nowhere, the rod snaps, puts 2 holes in the block, and a nice size hole in the piston. i get nothing. not even a "sorry". just a "theres nothing we can do"

good to hear theres still decent businesses in this world

if you didnt catch my other thread, i bought a car from a major dealership in april, 57k miles...2nd owner warranty expires at 60k. 2 weeks ago, 63k miles, out of nowhere, the rod snaps, puts 2 holes in the block, and a nice size hole in the piston. i get nothing. not even a "sorry". just a "theres nothing we can do"

Different story. There is nothing they can do. A Dealership cant warranty a manufacterers warranty. They can only do a little over not 3k

one would think that if i bought a car from them less than 6 months ago and it has a serious issue like what happened, they would try to do something to help. im not asking them to cover the thing under warranty so i dont have to spend anything

in the end, it ended up costing me about 800$ i didnt have

Back on topic, the guys at AGH are awesome. I went there several times test riding bikes. Yeah its not a car, but it is still a purchase thats damn near a grand or more. You have to learn to love a bike if it is going to get you 40 miles in a day. The owner fitted me for my bike and made sure everything was right for me. They gave me a great deal on a bike and it truly is an amazing piece of machinery. Nothing but great service and respect there.

I was told that the owner regularly commutes from Granville to the shop in Lewis Center on his bike.

Different story. There is nothing they can do. A Dealership cant warranty a manufacterers warranty. They can only do a little over not 3k

Not to mention its hard to compare a 3.50$ afterhours charge and an 800$ engine swap from a dealer. there was only one time I ever saw a dealer make an exception, the guy had an 03 mustang gt, barely 15k miles on it but the 3 year warranty had JUST elapsed on it but it had some tranny problems, Ford made an exception and covered the work under warranty.

Back on topic, the guys at AGH are awesome. I went there several times test riding bikes. Yeah its not a car, but it is still a purchase thats damn near a grand or more. You have to learn to love a bike if it is going to get you 40 miles in a day. The owner fitted me for my bike and made sure everything was right for me. They gave me a great deal on a bike and it truly is an amazing piece of machinery. Nothing but great service and respect there.

I was told that the owner regularly commutes from Granville to the shop in Lewis Center on his bike.

not Grandville Rick lives out in Utica.

Great shop with great people and service.