Decision time

Twistedrx7

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't the weight gain minimal, if any, when swapping the turbo rotary for a N/A LSx motor.

i'd go LSx---reliability, and overall potential being the main reasons--i know any motor can have potential, but not as easily as an LSx.

Thats correct, the weight gain is very minimal on a NA setup. The LS1/2/6/3 motor is all aluminum.

Until you build the bottom end in a lsx block you will be limited to 600rwhp. The easiest way to make 600rwhp in an lsx motor is to bolt on a turbo kit. try v8rx7forum.com for informaiton on the swap.

It is minimal, but it is still weight.

Were talking maybe 50-100lb weight gain, minimal change in weight balance and a good improvement in hp/weight ratio at least over stock. I think it's well worth it alone in the reliability department.

i say keep the rotary...to do an LS1 swap properly isn't a whole lot cheaper or easier than doing a 20B. it still takes a good bit of money and hassle trying to get all the parts, most places who pre-fab the parts are on back order due to the recent popularity of this.

unless you plan on doing everything yourself.

didn't you recently get that car tuned by the Rx7 Store? What happened, run a little more boost during the cool weather recently?

No it was tuned by defined autoworks.

I would do a large street port with a T04Z. That setup at 15lbs will give you 440 RWHP. The 500r is not going to give you anymore power and its $1500 more.

Dont do ceramic seals. Big waste of money

Jason

Why are ceramic seals not worth it? They rarely fail, only under extreme conditions? Also im looking at running around 20 - 23 lbs of boost on the 500r. so around 550rwhp to 600.

Plus the ceramic would come in handly since im running more than 15lbs and would only get the 2m seals since they seal better than the 3's.

The v8 motor swap will make it fast. It will also add weight and take away from the incredible sound. My reason for getting an rx7 would be to have a *quick*, light, turn machine. Not to have a bastard in the straight line.

A v8swap actually weights in more to 50/50 whereas a stock rx7 is around i think 49/51. This was taken from a ls1 and 3rd gen weight in at a autocross track.

I didn't know it was possible 2 run a Perphial port along with streetport. Enlighten me please. To be honest, a 20B swap is going to be 20K minimum, realistically, closer to 30K for the people not knowing how pricey it is. Good luck Jake!

Jackson

You can run a streetport with semi p port. (from my understanding someone correct me if im wrong) You just need to make up your own lim and possibly throttle body. Unless you can find a very rare lim that runs into your p ports thus you can keep it looking stock.

Thanks guys for your input. Jason if you want you can contact me on aim. Im usually not out of work until about 6 or so. That would probably be the easiest way to talk.

new front bumper FTW!

Your too late on that one. Plus the joke is getting old.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c168/twistedrx7/042407_19201.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c168/twistedrx7/042407_18361.jpg

The v8 motor swap will make it fast. It will also add weight and take away from the incredible sound. My reason for getting an rx7 would be to have a *quick*, light, turn machine. Not to have a bastard in the straight line.

If incredible = extremely shitty, you are on the right track.

LSx swap for sure. All these talks of "if you build this 13B w/ this motor, you'll make 440RWHP. Or do a heads/cam LS1 and make more power easily on pump gas, without impacting the handling much.

Ceramic seals are expensive and dont hold up to stress anymore than stock seals. Go with aviation seals if you are going to run a lot of boost as they will take the stress and resist some detonation.

I will send you a PM about your Power FC settings.

Jason

If incredible = extremely shitty, you are on the right track.

LSx swap for sure. All these talks of "if you build this 13B w/ this motor, you'll make 440RWHP. Or do a heads/cam LS1 and make more power easily on pump gas, without impacting the handling much.

What do you mean 'all these talks' .... It is well proven that that turbo will put down 420-450whp at 15psi all day long on a 13b.

I have a very similar turbo and made 420rwhp, with a smallish hotside.

A LOT CHEAPER and much less hassle than a LSX swap.

as to the swap question. Are you going to do the fab work yourself or pay someone/shop to do it? The LS1 swap requires a lot of work to be done right. While it can definately be worth it, if you can't do the work yourself you'd be far better off just selling your roller and buying a car with the swap done already. You'd likely have less money AND time into it that way.

obviously the quickest/easiest way to get your car back on the road is to rebuild the 13B, and of course fix the tuning issue that blew it up in the first place.

What do you mean 'all these talks' .... It is well proven that that turbo will put down 420-450whp at 15psi all day long on a 13b.

I have a very similar turbo and made 420rwhp, with a smallish hotside.

A LOT CHEAPER and much less hassle than a LSX swap.

I'm sure you can make that kind of power on the 13B...or just do a heads/cam NA LS1. Well, with a big heads/cam LS1, you'll make near or at the 500 RWHP mark on pump gas.

The swap may be a bigger hassle, but once it is done, you can mod that LSx to the moon. :)

You probably know which way my vote will go, lol...

Seriously though, REALISTICALLY pick your goals and budget. Do alot of research and go from there. This is your car and you only know what will make you happy. Good luck! If you need any insight on the lsx swap, PM me.

Hey roger take me for a ride lol. That will help with my deicision haha.

I would be doing a lot of the fab work.

You know... the last person I took for a ride now has a new rx7 in his driveway waiting for an ls motor, lol.

new front bumper FTW!

exactly, you need to update the motor.... that is a given.... but in the process, get that thing to 2007 spec aesthetically. and let me tell you, that cwest shit might get you to circa 2001.... still wont hack it bra!

people have put SR's in them before (i cant believe i said that)