Columbus area snipers!!!

R1Limited

Maybe that title is a little mis-leading...

But

How many of you guys enjoy long distance shooting?? Anyone know of a decent range to shoot 400-500 yards safely?

Also- Any recommendations for quality gunsmiths? (preferably less than 50 miles from Columbus) I tend to avoid the gander mountain/ weekend guys- its a comfort issue.

Thanks for the input.

Also- Any recommendations for quality gunsmiths? (preferably less than 50 miles from Columbus) I tend to avoid the gander mountain/ weekend guys- its a comfort issue.

Personally, I don't know anything about guns, aside from how to shoot one straight.

My dad's been into benchrest for longer than I can remember though, and has been shooting at/buying guns from/friends with the owner of Kelby's for a long time. Apparently their stuff is very good. The range is a nice place too; I've been there many times. I know it's further than 50 miles, but I'm avoiding going to bed so I figured I'd mention it and kill some time :p

Thunder Valley is the place for long distance in Ohio. I've shot my .338 Lapua & .50's out there, and it's awesome.

Can't recommend a 'smith, I do my own work....probably forced myself to learn out of frustration at the lack of good smiths in the area. Gunsmiths are notoriously slow and/or expensive, and if they're good both.

Hey.. this post couldnt have come at a better time.. My long range build should be complete within the next week or so.... hopefully. :)

Big Darby has a 100,200,300 yard range and they are about 20 min from you. To shoot farther then that you will have to find some private land or head to Thunder Valley in Coschocton or up to camp perry.

Im all for finding some other guys to shoot with.. Im hoping to enter at least 1 F-Class competition next year for 600 and 1000 yards.

As fas as Mcmillian stocks go.. They are awesome.. I have spoken to a couple of other long range shooters and they say the A4 and A5 are tip friggen top. Eventually I want to put an A5 on mine.. If you want a McMillian, I have a way for you to get $100 off of one of their stocks. Let me know.

Edited by flounder

Thunder Valley is the place for long distance in Ohio. I've shot my .338 Lapua & .50's out there, and it's awesome.

Can't recommend a 'smith, I do my own work....probably forced myself to learn out of frustration at the lack of good smiths in the area. Gunsmiths are notoriously slow and/or expensive, and if they're good both.

I want to shoot a .338 at 1000 really bad... Ive already shot a bolt 50. And +1 to doing your own work.. of course depending on the complexity. When it comes to blueprinting an action, installing custom barrels, etc, you need a true reputable gunsmith.. preferably someone that specializes in accurizing competition rifles. You can bed a rifle on your own if you take your time. I will be doing it to my new build after getting some time on it. I want a good baseline to work from before I bed it or anything so I know my true results from doing the work.

Edited by flounder

Big Darby has a 100,200,300 yard range and they are about 20 min from you. To shoot farther then that you will have to find some private land or head to Thunder Valley in Coschocton or up to camp perry.

thunder valley is that on 541? :confused:

If you want a McMillian, I have a way for you to get $100 off of one of their stocks. Let me know.

I haven't found the one I want yet but I may just go with a flat black and add my own paint. Any suggestions to where to look for different patterns/designs?? Their website seems very limited.

I haven't found the one I want yet but I may just go with a flat black and add my own paint. Any suggestions to where to look for different patterns/designs?? Their website seems very limited.

http://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan-stocks-finishes.php

From my understanding, if you go with a multi paint finish from McMillan, you actually get to specify the percentages of each color you want in the design. Example. 20% grey, 60% black, 20% OD - Finish = Marble, camo, etc.

I want an A5 really bad. Figure about 600 in a A5 stock by the time you have all the bells and whistles you want. I think the base model A5 goes for around 495.

You should also check out HS precision, and Bell and Carlson and see if you like them. They are cheaper, especially if you plan on painting it. Im not sure I could bring myself to spray an A5 myself. I would probably cry.

If you are set on McMillan, then give them a call. I hear he is great to deal with and can probably send you some pics of customer guns with their paint jobs.