N/A vs power adder

V8 Beast

Guest ihuntv8

My best friend and i built his mustang 3 years ago, he purchased a Dart block, afr heads, bla bla, and a 76 trim turbo. Its a 93 mustang with 50k miles and has a AEM. Drives like a stock 302.

His best et is 9.97 @ 146. Its a 5 speed car.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive always been into the 4 bangers for a couple reasons...

1. If shit breaks, its less stuff to replace... the down side is, more often than not, its more expensive to get GOOD parts unless its one of our favorite Honda or mitsubishi motors that have a near unlimited aftermarket.

2. Fuel mileage is still 20+ even if it runs rich. When its turbo charged and your running more than 35in of boost on a T4+ turbo, your milage is going to go south of double digits... hell, i figured out that i get about 9mpg wide open on my little motor that only makes 200hp. Thats just to do with fuel pressure increases really.

3. DOHC. This makes life so easy, no need to explain.

4. If you have to pull it, you dont ever have to get under the car.

5. You cant beat 7000rpm with lots of pedal left. (exception to this rule is Tinman)

6. Weight. Most of these engines dont weigh hardly anything, which is most fo the reason for the good milage while not getting into the throttle... with the exception of my big iron block from the Z24 @ 181 lbs.

7. Finally, tauntability. How hard is it to get a guy with a small block to race you if you came at him with nothing more than less than half of his motor... answer, its not.

Guest ihuntv8

I will get you one...lol

Its funny my dad's a die hard v8 chevy guy, and i had that sticker on my old talon(which broke drivetrain parts all the time) he came and had to pick me up with the trailor one night and he is drunk, we load the car up, get inside, and he says "you know, that sticker on your car shoud say..."I hunt red trailor".

It was funny.

I will get you one...lol

Its funny my dad's a die hard v8 chevy guy, and i had that sticker on my old talon(which broke drivetrain parts all the time) he came and had to pick me up with the trailor one night and he is drunk, we load the car up, get inside, and he says "you know, that sticker on your car shoud say..."I hunt red trailor".

It was funny.

LOL, I have heard horror stories about talons. Oh yeah, my sticker will have to say "be back in 10 or 11 seconds" :D

Guest ihuntv8

I really liked my old camaro, i cant wait to turbo a lsx motor, Koolrayz and i where talking about it when he was up couple weeks ago, his and Sams cars are badass, i like there combos, but i would have to throw a single turbo on it.

I have not heard anything about Tilley's car, what's up with it? That car should f-ing fly!

Streetability should be good on a turbo'd V8. With a turbo, until it spools, you're running all motor. It doesn't restrict the power of the engine.

Actually it does. The turbine creates backpressure while the compressor (variying orfices) creates a flow restriction. There's also no scavaging past the turbine wheel which also creates a power penalty.

Ive always been into the 4 bangers for a couple reasons...

1. If shit breaks, its less stuff to replace... the down side is, more often than not, its more expensive to get GOOD parts unless its one of our favorite Honda or mitsubishi motors that have a near unlimited aftermarket.

2. Fuel mileage is still 20+ even if it runs rich. When its turbo charged and your running more than 35in of boost on a T4+ turbo, your milage is going to go south of double digits... hell, i figured out that i get about 9mpg wide open on my little motor that only makes 200hp. Thats just to do with fuel pressure increases really.

3. DOHC. This makes life so easy, no need to explain.

4. If you have to pull it, you dont ever have to get under the car.

5. You cant beat 7000rpm with lots of pedal left. (exception to this rule is Tinman)

6. Weight. Most of these engines dont weigh hardly anything, which is most fo the reason for the good milage while not getting into the throttle... with the exception of my big iron block from the Z24 @ 181 lbs.

7. Finally, tauntability. How hard is it to get a guy with a small block to race you if you came at him with nothing more than less than half of his motor... answer, its not.

a) you cant replace displacement

b)you'll have to spend alot of money on valve train and sealing to make most 4s rev and seal to see comparable numbers

c)have fun running c16/meth/alcohol

d)stress

a) you cant replace displacement

b)you'll have to spend alot of money on valve train and sealing to make most 4s rev and seal to see comparable numbers

c)have fun running c16/meth/alcohol

d)stress

i never siad there werent negatives... there are a lot... you didnt even scratch the surface.

a) yes you can, its called boost.

2) about the same as a after market aluminum head... one head, for a SB.

q) E100 is just fine.

z) you have twice as much weight flying around in a V8 so im not sure where youre going with that. If its the RPMS, well there are two arguments.

1. you dont have to rev high to make power on a 4 banger... you can run a .500 lift cam and rev to 6500 and still make 400hp relitivly easy.

2. The parts are much lighter, so you can rev higher and still induce the same stress levels as on a V8.

I know about compression ratios. I'm looking more into the feel from a personal standpoint. I know its going to be different from person to person, hell I think my 110 lsa cam feels fine for a daily driver. I was looking to see why the people that run huge blocks like the na power, and why guys like Trent prefer turbos.

Ok. I used to own a '98 T/A. It only had an exhaust, but it still made plenty of torque.

Between the two? It's tough to say. Chosing one motor over the other is like chosing Italian over Asian for me. Both are good with their pluses and minuses.

The big LS1 was great because I had the majority of my torque available at all points on the Tach. Power delivery was even and predictable. When you push down on the gas X amount, you got Y amount of accelleration.

The STI is very different. On boost, it's tough to tell the difference. Really, torque is torque. The difference is in the non-linerarity of it. You learn when driving around town how much pedal will give you how much boost. What I had to adjust to was the turbo spooling up and probably doubling my torque. If you push the pedal down X amount, you'll get Y amount of accelleration at first, but it'll build to Z amount in a hurry. Granted, it's not uncontrollable, but coming from a N/A car to a turbo car, I was surprised by the sudden rush of power at first.

For me, what I like about having a turbocharged car is the Jekyl/Hyde nature of it. If I'm conservative with the throttle and stay in the negative on the boost gauge, the car drives and behaves like you'd expect a 2.5L 4cyl car should. It's even quicker than my 70hp toyota. But all I have to do is push that pedal down a bit more and let more air into the engine and that turbo will spool up and it's like a different car. It's much like having the best of both an economy car and a sports car in one. (Granted having AWD keeps my mileage in the 'ok' range)

So Turbo or N/A? I like both, but I guess I lean towards the Turbo more. It's just more fun having the dual nature of the engine to play with. But it's a close decision.

Now, T/A or STI? STI, definately. But that's not the question under discussion here. ;)

i never siad there werent negatives... there are a lot... you didnt even scratch the surface.

a) yes you can, its called boost.

2) about the same as a after market aluminum head... one head, for a SB.

q) E100 is just fine.

z) you have twice as much weight flying around in a V8 so im not sure where youre going with that. If its the RPMS, well there are two arguments.

1. you dont have to rev high to make power on a 4 banger... you can run a .500 lift cam and rev to 6500 and still make 400hp relitivly easy.

2. The parts are much lighter, so you can rev higher and still induce the same stress levels as on a V8.

a)its called powerband

b)hah, 18 degree head vs a stroker kit? ok,,,

q)e100..riiggghhtt

z)half the airflow

1 youll need to rev that high for any useable powerband

2 dont need to rev an f/i eight, 600whp at 6500rpm...for an ls2 on 93..stock compression...

a)its called powerband

b)hah, 18 degree head vs a stroker kit? ok,,,

q)e100..riiggghhtt

z)half the airflow

1 youll need to rev that high for any useable powerband

2 dont need to rev an f/i eight, 600whp at 6500rpm...for an ls2 on 93..stock compression...

You dont have to rev a 4cyl out.. if you think you have to, you are just ignorant. I never, NEVER reved my Z24 out past 6400 and it made plenty of power to blow the tires off at 50mph at 3500rpm when it was on spray. You just think you have to rev them out becasue thats all youve ever seen... that just makes you uneducated. its a lot different building a 2.4 4 banger than it is a 1.8, but unless youve done it, you wouldnt have the slightest clue as to what NEEDS to be done to make the power. Hell, there were guys reving to 7000 on stock valve trains making over 400whp with nothing other than forged rods and pistons. Funny part was, they were falling off after 6600. you can build a 4cyl to do the same things as a V8, all the laws of physics still apply, its just half the pistions, and twice the cams.

Ive been in a few turbo cars and a large turbo 4 cyl usually have a 3k power band. I would much rather have a bigger cu.in. motor with a turbo, for instance my car pulls from 3000-7400 n/a.

Well thats what im getting at, the 4 banger can do the same thing, it just has to be set up propperly. When you have a small 4cyl with a short stroke that revs to high heaven to begin with, why not slap a big turbo and rev it higher! But when you have a big 4cyl that has a monster stroke on it (greater than 3.750), ou may as well use its stroke to get your power down low. Thats what we were doing... using long intake runner manifolds on the cold side, long tubes on the hot side, and 410 lit cams @ 220 and we were making power plenty low with the ability to run it to 7200 or higher with the JPB 268 cams if we really wanted to. Its just a matter of setup is all.

i'v seen 500ci bbc that spin 10,000 rpm all motor that go 6.600 at 211

I think Matt (tinman) said he could sppin that high if he wanted but if i remember right he shifts at like 8500... its been a while so theres a good chance thats incorrect.

I never, NEVER reved my Z24 out past 6400 and it made plenty of power to blow the tires off at 50mph at 3500rpm when it was on spray.

lol yeah blowing the tires off of a 205 fwd..wow...dont hold back now

you missed the point, the laws of pyhsics apply - you have to rev a 4 to get the turbo spooled to make comparabe numbers to a v8 - the same goes as a 6 to a 12, etc...

what the hell does it matter if it has twice the cams? I can run an 18 degree busch nascar head or 4.6 dohc head. both flow shitloads of air.

8>4 period. If you don't see that, well, shit, you drive a volvo nevermind.

Well thats what im getting at, the 4 banger can do the same thing, it just has to be set up propperly. When you have a small 4cyl with a short stroke that revs to high heaven to begin with, why not slap a big turbo and rev it higher! But when you have a big 4cyl that has a monster stroke on it (greater than 3.750), ou may as well use its stroke to get your power down low. Thats what we were doing... using long intake runner manifolds on the cold side, long tubes on the hot side, and 410 lit cams @ 220 and we were making power plenty low with the ability to run it to 7200 or higher with the JPB 268 cams if we really wanted to. Its just a matter of setup is all.

hey genious its called rod speed/piston speed.