No reviews on our dealership???

35RFTW

Here's a real time illustration of a price quote I just gave a member:

Voltage Regulator/Rectifier. After market options - no legit options right now (Parts unlimited shows a price and a part # in their book, but the website says won't fit, none available in other suppliers).

New List - $165, Used Retail we've sold 3 in the past for $85/ea, Ohio Rider Price - $75. Greater than the standard 10% yes, quality tested good part cosmetically and functionally. Ebay shops 2 selling for less, 6 selling for around $99.95, and some aftermarket ones for sale (I'd be a little wary since our 3 catalogs show 0 for the bike).

There's more to our shop than just price. We help with service after the sale, I can't tell you the number of times people call us back and claim the part is bad when its improperly installed or another related issue. We can't trouble shoot over the phone, however if someone has a charging problem we can present the battery, stator, voltage regulator as the primary causes and help people repair their bikes one part at a time (usually the least expensive).

Many Salvage Shops have a 'sold as-is no returns for any reason policy'. We do our best to get our customers the right part the first time, however if we make an error, we make it right - shop credit, exchange, or what have you.

I'm not usually a name dropper, however we've been doing business with John McElfresh for years. Very nice guy to work with, we've helped him out with putting some very nice clean repsol ltd edition parts on his cbr1000rr he just sold. We're working with (satan) taking measurements and helping find a single sided swingarm setup to graft onto his ZX10R.

Right now, I'm the primary parts salesman/manager and when I'm gone, the general manager tries his best to help. Lizard, you may have called on a Saturday I was out of town and if you got him, that sounds like his M/O.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a real time illustration of a price quote I just gave a member:

Voltage Regulator/Rectifier. After market options - no legit options right now (Parts unlimited shows a price and a part # in their book, but the website says won't fit, none available in other suppliers).

New List - $165, Used Retail we've sold 3 in the past for $85/ea, Ohio Rider Price - $75. Greater than the standard 10% yes, quality tested good part cosmetically and functionally. Ebay shops 2 selling for less, 6 selling for around $99.95, and some aftermarket ones for sale (I'd be a little wary since our 3 catalogs show 0 for the bike).

There's more to our shop than just price. We help with service after the sale, I can't tell you the number of times people call us back and claim the part is bad when its improperly installed or another related issue. We can't trouble shoot over the phone, however if someone has a charging problem we can present the battery, stator, voltage regulator as the primary causes and help people repair their bikes one part at a time (usually the least expensive).

Many Salvage Shops have a 'sold as-is no returns for any reason policy'. We do our best to get our customers the right part the first time, however if we make an error, we make it right - shop credit, exchange, or what have you.

I'm not usually a name dropper, however we've been doing business with John McElfresh for years. Very nice guy to work with, we've helped him out with putting some very nice clean repsol ltd edition parts on his cbr1000rr he just sold. We're working with (satan) taking measurements and helping find a single sided swingarm setup to graft onto his ZX10R.

Right now, I'm the primary parts salesman/manager and when I'm gone, the general manager tries his best to help. Lizard, you may have called on a Saturday I was out of town and if you got him, that sounds like his M/O.

No worries on my end. I'll call again should I need a part. You all are local and easy to get to from where I am...

Not to beat a dead horse, but you're prices are to high. I called Mike about a set of 04 R1 calipers and he quoted me a price of $100 EACH! W/o pads.

I found a set on ebay for $110 shipped to my door with a set of Vesrah pads. It wasn't just an isolated case either, I can find those parts all day for that price.

Again this is just one instance, and not necessarily representative of other parts/services.

Not to beat a dead horse, but you're prices are to high. I called Mike about a set of 04 R1 calipers and he quoted me a price of $100 EACH! W/o pads.

I found a set on ebay for $110 shipped to my door with a set of Vesrah pads. It wasn't just an isolated case either, I can find those parts all day for that price.

Again this is just one instance, and not necessarily representative of other parts/services.

I remember this deal - unfortunately we didn't have them in stock so I had to put them to our dealer network, that's where that pricing came from. We still give a preferred pricing structure to Ohio Riders members - that was the best we could do given we were working with another dealership dictating prices to us.

I've got nothing against the ebay community, we have an ebay store with about 1800 of our 15k items that we have in stock. I'm glad you were able to get a deal, unfortunately it wasn't from us. Maybe next time.

If we had the correct calipers in stock I would have been able to price match and also see about the pads. Our best pricing comes from having the correct used parts in stock.

:)Also many Ohio Riders callers wait until checkout to tell us they're members, that's fine, its also cool to let us know at the beginning of the conversation.:)

We're working with (satan) taking measurements and helping find a single sided swingarm setup to graft onto his ZX10R.

Wrong....person....

Satan/Casper=Ben

BornSinner=Whitey

Whitey was the one you have been helping.....:D:D:D

Edited by BornSinner

I think the biggest thing here is needing to classify comments into two sections. Bikes and parts.

Bike:

I think they are too high. Sorry. Truth sometimes hurts. Saw the disco list and the wholesale price is higher than average. I've been in the motorcycle industry for over 14 years and know what channels to run through for salvage bikes. There are a LOT cheaper places.

That being said, there is obviously a price to be had on being able to drive there and look them over before buying. Typically, it is a series of pics, talking on the phone and then driving 2 plus hours one way to get the damn thing. However, I can save a lot more than I would expense on driving and such.

The problem is that these salvage places bid the shit out of these bikes. The insurance companies send them to auction and typically get 1/2 of retail for them. That's fine, but the salvage guys need to make money, too. Business is about making money - not giving shit away free or at cost. Look at the number of car dealers going BYE-BYE... They have to make money to stay around.

I just think maybe the auctions they go to are loaded with too many dealers and the prices get jacked. Maybe look in other places or something... Whatever the case, you wholesale prices are higher than the norm...

Parts:

Again, higher than almost anywhere I have checked. I only checked once, but know a few others that have bought from you and they paid a lot more. Now, that isn't an indicator as I suspect that if someone needed a certain part, you all can negotiate a bit. Relying on a dealer for parts is silly. Knowing that, someone should go to the local dealer and tell them you are buying from Cycle Search and ask for a discount. The thing is that I think Cycle is getting a 10% over dealer cost on parts OEM. Then, they obviously need to make a margin and probably ask 10% over that minimum. That takes a $100 dealer cost part to be $110 for them and then $121 for you. That's over 20% over dealer. You can find a shit pile of places that will offer that or even less.

The used part prices need to be less than 50% margin. They are used and off whole units. Take a subframe from a GSXR1000. No more than $150-$200. That's the going rate whether guys look at WERA, Ebay, etc. That's the going rate. You could be maybe 10% higher and justify that due to being able to come and see the part and buy. However, being $300 for the same part is insane.

I think it gets blown out of proportion and I think CS would negotiate with ANYONE should that customer become educated and ask. Too often, customers are NOT educated and buy at the asked price. The asking price is fair and is set in a manner that the shop can help maintain a certain % or profit throughout the store. If you are educated and ask and show a lower price, they probably will adjust it. But again, how many people buy first and THEN check out prices and think they got "ripped off"?

You can't have it both ways. I probably won't buy a bike there unless I see a good deal. No worries. On parts, I am willing to try them out again and from the positives like customer service, close/local, and the fact that they can test them and physically show me the part BEFORE I buy, I am willing to pay extra for that. Know how many wheels from Ebay I have seen come bent when stated as perfect???

Give them a chance and see where the negotiating goes. If they stand firm and do not lower prices when you bring it to their attention, move on and try someplace else. I bet they work with ya.

I think the biggest thing here is needing to classify comments into two sections. Bikes and parts.

Bike:

I think they are too high. Sorry. Truth sometimes hurts. Saw the disco list and the wholesale price is higher than average. I've been in the motorcycle industry for over 14 years and know what channels to run through for salvage bikes. There are a LOT cheaper places.

That being said, there is obviously a price to be had on being able to drive there and look them over before buying. Typically, it is a series of pics, talking on the phone and then driving 2 plus hours one way to get the damn thing. However, I can save a lot more than I would expense on driving and such.

The problem is that these salvage places bid the shit out of these bikes. The insurance companies send them to auction and typically get 1/2 of retail for them. That's fine, but the salvage guys need to make money, too. Business is about making money - not giving shit away free or at cost. Look at the number of car dealers going BYE-BYE... They have to make money to stay around.

I just think maybe the auctions they go to are loaded with too many dealers and the prices get jacked. Maybe look in other places or something... Whatever the case, you wholesale prices are higher than the norm...

If you have input as to where you are finding the the prices so much lower than ours, I would like to see it. I am also curious of the quality of their salvage. Do they test every bike? Spin the wheels and forks? We are not the typical salvage shop. As I stated earlier in the thread, we are not here to be the cheapest. Quality is our game. Does that not justify a higher price? Seriously, chime in people. If it is not worth it to you as a buyer to KNOW that you are getting a bike with good engine and inspected forks, wheels, and frame, let me know. We can stop doing it and lower our prices. For the most part, people want the quality though. I am interested though to see who's prices are considered norm, while ours are high.

If you have input as to where you are finding the the prices so much lower than ours, I would like to see it. I am also curious of the quality of their salvage. Do they test every bike? Spin the wheels and forks? We are not the typical salvage shop. As I stated earlier in the thread, we are not here to be the cheapest. Quality is our game. Does that not justify a higher price? Seriously, chime in people. If it is not worth it to you as a buyer to KNOW that you are getting a bike with good engine and inspected forks, wheels, and frame, let me know. We can stop doing it and lower our prices. For the most part, people want the quality though. I am interested though to see who's prices are considered norm, while ours are high.

Honestly, with Ebay out there and forums like WERA has, getting parts that I need is really cheaper than what I have priced with you guys. I understand the whole worth a higher price as I stated in my posts prior. However, being off by over 2x as what Ebay charges isn't what I'd call worth it.

I'll say this - if Magnifest says you all will negotiate and talk over price, that's good enough for me to try again.

Do this. Get me a price on the following:

07-08 GSXR1000

-Subframe complete.

-Radiator

-Tank with front cover - no dents.

-Set of wheels.

What I will do is if you are higher, show you where I found them cheaper. It will hopefully help you understand where a lot of these guys source those types of things. Now, again... Ebay is a sketchy place for wheels. Everything else? Pie.

I also appreciated the fact that Cycle Search has helped sponser some of the OhioRiders events.

Everyone here is always looking for the best price on any piece for their bikes...times and money are geting tight....

It also doesn't help that we all have an pricey hobby....

I also was in need of a part that Cycles Search had and they give me a higher price than want I found it on Ebay....

But you also get the part in hand with a local shop....and you can see what you are buying....

Its sucks that everyone is ragging on a sponcer here, but I see where they are coming from....People are trying to save some cash....But they are trying to run a business also.....

Ebay and forums are a HUGE source of parts now....but you always run a risk of a dead beat buyer or seller....

Just my 2 cents

I also appreciated the fact that Cycle Search has helped sponser some of the OhioRiders events.

Everyone here is always looking for the best price on any piece for their bikes...times and money are geting tight....

It also doesn't help that we all have an pricey hobby....

I also was in need of a part that Cycles Search had and they give me a higher price than want I found it on Ebay....

But you also get the part in hand with a local shop....and you can see what you are buying....

Its sucks that everyone is ragging on a sponcer here, but I see where they are coming from....People are trying to save some cash....But they are trying to run a business also.....

Ebay and forums are a HUGE source of parts now....but you always run a risk of a dead beat buyer or seller....

Just my 2 cents

A valid & well spent 2 cents is was to.

Everyone's comments are appreciated. We can only get better by being told where we are falling short. I(Justin) will be at the Christmas party and we(Cycle Search) will be doing something for all of the members of OR that are there!

So... how 'bout that list of parts and I can compare prices??

We're updating our website to have the current prices and parts avialability, the current list is in beta and some parts are NLA, some are not yet shown. http://www.800390bike.com/parts.asp

You did chime in on a list of specials we ran couple weeks ago.

http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=17513

Honestly, with Ebay out there and forums like WERA has, getting parts that I need is really cheaper than what I have priced with you guys. I understand the whole worth a higher price as I stated in my posts prior. However, being off by over 2x as what Ebay charges isn't what I'd call worth it.

I'll say this - if Magnifest says you all will negotiate and talk over price, that's good enough for me to try again.

Do this. Get me a price on the following:

07-08 GSXR1000

-Subframe complete.

-Radiator

-Tank with front cover - no dents.

-Set of wheels.

What I will do is if you are higher, show you where I found them cheaper. It will hopefully help you understand where a lot of these guys source those types of things. Now, again... Ebay is a sketchy place for wheels. Everything else? Pie.

We are currently out of these parts, sorry.

• 1 month later...
Seriously? We say that we are appreciative of constructive criticism and that means we are giving a :bj: ? I missed where that was included in the fall special. lol

I'm pretty sure that a BJ at the christmas party, depending on who was actually on the giving end, would have worked wonders for your reviews. I'm just sayin'.:rolleyes: