I know its a litle early

Mr. Jones

All wheel drive blah blah. I can't wait till someone posts a pic of there awd when they get stuck in a drift with a tire off the ground. 4wd ftw:-) Oh and 38" tars don't hurt either.

Evan

Why in dear god would having A tire off the ground result in getting stuck ?

F' this cold. I still haven't winterized my boat yet (looks like I'll be doing that tomorrow), so a freeze is a very bad thing.

Avalanche is 4WD + fresh set of Nitto Terra Grapplers on it, but I'd still rather it be warm and sunny. I hate the cold, so screw this snow stuff...bring on the sunny, warm weather!!!!!

With an AWD vehicle nothing is 100% locked so if you have 1 or more tires off the ground all power goes to the tire that is not on the ground. Of course I'm not sure how the smarter systems using ABS and other neat traction aiding tricks would work. Even the power transfer between front and rear is not locked. It also uses a differential system to put power were its needed and mechanically it will think its needed on the floating tire on the floating end of the vehicle.

In a 4x4 system having one tire off the ground is not an issue and is actually fun in what I do:-) In this situation the power is supplied to the tire off the ground on that end of the vehicle, but at the same time power is applied to the opposite end of the vehicle and one or both of the tires on that axle can spin to get you free.

In a fully locked vehicle like you'll find in the offroad world 100% of the power goes to all 4 tires 100% of the time. Its tricky on slick roads, but you are as unstoppable as a 4 tired vehicle can be.

I'd be curious to see if a really smart AWD would work as I described. Any takers? I know all brand new AWD vehicles I saw down at the outer banks, NC where completely useless on the sand. They were all getting towed back to pavement by anyone who would help them or having to pay the tow guy 50 bucks:-)

Evan

F' this cold. I still haven't winterized my boat yet (looks like I'll be doing that tomorrow), so a freeze is a very bad thing.

Avalanche is 4WD + fresh set of Nitto Terra Grapplers on it, but I'd still rather it be warm and sunny. I hate the cold, so screw this snow stuff...bring on the sunny, warm weather!!!!!

+1 Fuck the cold.

With an AWD vehicle nothing is 100% locked so if you have 1 or more tires off the ground all power goes to the tire that is not on the ground. Of course I'm not sure how the smarter systems using ABS and other neat traction aiding tricks would work. Even the power transfer between front and rear is not locked. It also uses a differential system to put power were its needed and mechanically it will think its needed on the floating tire on the floating end of the vehicle.

In a 4x4 system having one tire off the ground is not an issue and is actually fun in what I do:-) In this situation the power is supplied to the tire off the ground on that end of the vehicle, but at the same time power is applied to the opposite end of the vehicle and one or both of the tires on that axle can spin to get you free.

In a fully locked vehicle like you'll find in the offroad world 100% of the power goes to all 4 tires 100% of the time. Its tricky on slick roads, but you are as unstoppable as a 4 tired vehicle can be.

I'd be curious to see if a really smart AWD would work as I described. Any takers? I know all brand new AWD vehicles I saw down at the outer banks, NC where completely useless on the sand. They were all getting towed back to pavement by anyone who would help them or having to pay the tow guy 50 bucks:-)

Evan

Audi has had a manual differential lock button for years which is nice.

However, mine uses audi's Electronic Differential Lock. It uses the braking system to automatically grab and lock any tire that is free spinning and shifts the power where the grip is. I know last year I was able to climb around on snowmobile trails with huge inclines and a foot of snow on the ground.

Of course, once the belly of the car is highsided, theres nothing that I can do, but around here, thats highly unlikely

:)

I'd be interested to see it in action. Even the newer jeep SUV's that were AWD were completely unable to drive on the beach. I even got in one of them and looked around for buttons/levers to engage the center diff and found nothing. They would spin only one tire and that was all. I thought that was very odd for a jeep.

Evan

I'd be interested to see it in action. Even the newer jeep SUV's that were AWD were completely unable to drive on the beach. I even got in one of them and looked around for buttons/levers to engage the center diff and found nothing. They would spin only one tire and that was all. I thought that was very odd for a jeep.

Evan

I have never driven on sand, I'm not saying that a huge lifted 4WD wouldn't have a distinct advantage with giant snowdrifts and 3' of snow on the ground. Or on a giant sandy beach , but for just about anything nature can dish out in this part of the country, I'm fine. :)

Hehe even my wifes daily driver `05 Taco dbl cab 4x4 has the electric locker option. That was fun. I got to use it last winter when I drove off the side of the road to see if a dude that just wrecked in front of me needed help. I ended up driving right into what looked like a nice flat spot, but this was on SR 61 in morrow county so it turned out to be a 3 foot drift. The locker saved my ego that day for sure:-)

Evan

3 LSDs FTW! And I can lock the center one if I want to. ;)

I just hope the snow holds off until begining of december.. There's some roads in MA that need carving.

Well 3 LSD's still won't do crap if one tire is lifted. Though they help a lot in slick conditions. I want snow measured in feet. I'm tired of this 3" shuts down the city crap.

Besides I got a 1700 ft driveway I wanna clear with my tractor:-)

On a side note with 3 LSD's using your break pedel or parking brake while pressing the gas is a great way to get unstuck from snow.

Evan

I'm pretty sure it'll still move with one tire up. Car and Driver wanted to know how good the Subaru AWD system was. So they went to a test facility where there is a stretch with a special surface that when wet, has the same CoF as sheer ice. They put one side on that, the other side on dry pavement. I think the 0-60 time was still 5 something. :)

I really don't think having one tire up is going to mean anything.

Unless you mean enough snow under the car to lift it up.. But if the weight of any car is on the chassis instead of the wheels, it isn't going anywhere, regardless of the drive system.

My old neighbor's Saturn Vue was awd and she got stuck backing out of her parking space.. only one wheel was spinning, it was weird.

same thing happened with my dads but it was fwd and we got stuck trying to back out of are drive way. once we got it on the road though, it plowed through shit.

Unless you mean enough snow under the car to lift it up.. But if the weight of any car is on the chassis instead of the wheels, it isn't going anywhere, regardless of the drive system.

I really don't think having one tire up is going to mean anything.

Well I definately don't agree with you here. In my club we routinely have our vehicles high centered (part of the frame/axles planted firmly into dirt) to the point that 1 or more tires is in the air (meaning there are inches or feet between the tire and ground) and if the vehicle has one or more locker in one of the axles this situation is no problem at all.

I'm pretty sure that an AWD system can not handle that. The system (unless they are programmed somehow to figure out whats going on) will assume that the tire that is free spinning in the air has all sorts of traction and will apply power to that tire not realizing the vehicle isn't moving. Now if the newest AWD systems do in fact have programming since I"m sure they have sensors all over them and monitor whats going on then it would be a matter of writing a program to apply a lot of breaks to that free spinning tire until the others start to receive power.

Now that would definitely be cool.

Anyone wanna test it out? My club has one vehicle limitation and that is that you cannot show up to our events with an AWD vehicle because AWD WILL NOT WORK OFF ROAD.

Evan

Well I definately don't agree with you here. In my club we routinely have our vehicles high centered (part of the frame/axles planted firmly into dirt) to the point that 1 or more tires is in the air (meaning there are inches or feet between the tire and ground) and if the vehicle has one or more locker in one of the axles this situation is no problem at all.

I'm pretty sure that an AWD system can not handle that. The system (unless they are programmed somehow to figure out whats going on) will assume that the tire that is free spinning in the air has all sorts of traction and will apply power to that tire not realizing the vehicle isn't moving. Now if the newest AWD systems do in fact have programming since I"m sure they have sensors all over them and monitor whats going on then it would be a matter of writing a program to apply a lot of breaks to that free spinning tire until the others start to receive power.

Anyone wanna test it out? My club has one vehicle limitation and that is that you cannot show up to our events with an AWD vehicle because AWD WILL NOT WORK OFF ROAD.

Evan

That is the descripton of EDL

"detects wheelspin via ABS sensors and applies brakes to spinning wheels thus transferring torque via open differential to another wheel which has more traction"

Lol good now lets see it work with a tire off the ground because that would be pretty cool and would then be effective offroad, but you'd wear the shit out of your brakes, trans, and really over work your engine if used for any extended period of time.

Though for its intended purpose of driving in adverse conditions I know it would be very nice. My `05 Taco has a good bit of electronic stability control built in and its neat seeing it work during breaking, but if the rear diff locker is engaged it turns off all safety features including the ABS and airbags to ready itself for some real offroad work.

Evan

Lol good now lets see it work with a tire off the ground because that would be pretty cool and would then be effective offroad, but you'd wear the shit out of your brakes, trans, and really over work your engine if used for any extended period of time.

Though for its intended purpose of driving in adverse conditions I know it would be very nice. My `05 Taco has a good bit of electronic stability control built in and its neat seeing it work during breaking, but if the rear diff locker is engaged it turns off all safety features including the ABS and airbags to ready itself for some real offroad work.

Evan

I'm in agreement. It was never meant to replace a true 4X4 in any way. But for the dingus who drives through a bit too deep of a drift now and then it works fine.

:)

Evan

If you've got a setup that drops one wheel, I'll be happy to give it a try. I'm certain I'll move (with a lot of driveline noise).

Bonus: If you know a relatively flat area with dirt I can play in, I'd liek to know too.

Evan

The WK's have 3 different 4WD systems. As cited here http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_4x4.htm, the quadra driveII utilizes 3 electronic LSD's that have the ability to completely lock if the need arises. Also dropping into 4Lo forces it to lock the center. (someone should come up with a chip that would allow you to selectively lock each diff) I have driven a WJ with quadra drive on rollers that simulated one wheel getting zero traction. The jeep handled flawlessly.

I don't like the electronic transfer case engagement in the new WK's, Up til then we had always had a direct linked lever for peace of mind. However we all know the worst offroading 99% of them will see is the mall parking lot, so it should work fine.

Well your car would most likely lift a tire driving only one side of it onto my trailer. That would probably be about the only thing a car could get up on without hitting body parts first. Or you could try out the clubs RTI ramp (30 deg angled ramp about 6 feet high used to measure vehicles flex) That would be interesting:-)

As for the WJ's they are still part of the real jeep family in my book. TJ's, XJ's (the best IMO), and ZJ's (the old WJ name) are the good ones remaining. The Libertys (KJ) so far doesn't seem to live up to the jeep name at least not in the models I saw on the beach. They were the things out there with 1 wheel spinning out of everything else except for Subaru's and the occasional BMW car (yes car.) It was quite a show watching people try getting onto the beach with cars. Funny part is if they'd just gunned it and got out of the 1/4 mile of loose stuff they would probably have been fine till they had to get back.

Evan