Show me heating options for a garage

Buck531

I have a heater in my garage now. It's older than I am. It's gas. It backfires 2 ft flames. And only the bottom half heats up. It works great, but it's just old and sitting on a pile of cinder blocks (yes.. blocks).

What are my options (cheap preferrably) to get a heater out there that's run by gas (natural plumbed into my house) with a thermostat?

I was thinking one of those industrial types. Can't think of the name right now. I was hoping to grab one for $100 bucks or less.

The one in your first link would not cut it, especially in a garage with any drafts. I would look for another Reznor, or have yours serviced, or pick up a regular residential forced air gas furnace. There are a lot of people stepping up to high efficiency furnaces in their homes and discarding there still working old units. That is where I got mine, 80,000btu heats up my 720sq.ft. garage quickly and for the cheap. If you do go with a house furnace make sure to keep the return air off the ground at least 12", maybe more check you local codes, to prevent gas fumes from entering it, and vent it to the outside with double wall flue pipe.

Guest 614Streets

That Renzor is a bad boy with a fan which will help , I have a renzor style unit in my shop in hillard, the first one though will definetly get the job done. I installed one of these about 5 years ago in a garage and it definately will do the job. Check out the pic of the one I installed. The Renzor style units with a fan will be much more efficent but the first one will work for sure.

http://614streets.com/garageheater.jpg

The one in your first link would not cut it, especially in a garage with any drafts. I would look for another Reznor, or have yours serviced, or pick up a regular residential forced air gas furnace. There are a lot of people stepping up to high efficiency furnaces in their homes and discarding there still working old units. That is where I got mine, 80,000btu heats up my 720sq.ft. garage quickly and for the cheap. If you do go with a house furnace make sure to keep the return air off the ground at least 12", maybe more check you local codes, to prevent gas fumes from entering it, and vent it to the outside with double wall flue pipe.

Thanks.

That also reminds me. If you stay in the garage for like more than an hour, you start to get light headed from the fumes..lol. Got knows this fucker isn't up to code. IF anyone came over You'd freak.

Here's the pic of what I got.

http://bucky.kicks-ass.net/stuff/garageheater.jpg

It's a decent heater. If it's good enough to keep, I'd rather just move it in the corner and have the piping re-done and have it serviced.

Anyone know of someone who can do this? (clean/whatever to the heater). It would probably be cheaper than buyinga new one.

I'd like to pay to someone come in, clean it, and possibly move it to the left of that spot and hang it in the corner. That's what I wanted for the past 8 years I've lived here.

I'm also in the market for an inexpensive heater, but my garage is a bit different:

- 576 sq/ft

- Not insulated

- Known to be drafty at times

I have a wall A/C unit that keeps about 1/2 the garage semi-comfortable if it's under 90 (decent sized unit).

There is gas plumbed out to the garage, but gas or electric would work. Any ideas of how big I'd need to get?

Joe, I thought you had a big gas thing in the corner of your garage?

It hung off the rafters, and was a total POS. Major fire hazard and put off very little heat. Threw it out a while ago. But I still have the gas piping into the garage.

Seeing how cheap those wall units are on e-bay, I may just buy one regardless, and see how well it does.

I have something very similar to the picture that 614Streets posted. It is in my house though. It came with the house. I can't get the damn burners to light though. The pilot light works fine but it will not trigger the burners to light. I have taken apart the whole thing as the manual says to clean it out. It doesn't help matters. This thing is just taking up space.

If you are certified to remove a gas line or know someone that is you can have it for free. I am just worried about removing it from the gas line myself. If we can cap the gas line I have running to it inside my wall that would work for me. I just want it gone. You can come over to my house if you want to see it yourself. Like I said I have the original manual it came with somewhere in my house. I will have to look for it.

Let me know.