best way to stop smoking

88lx5oh

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think cold turkey is the best way to go. I decided to try and quit for the first time last sunday, and so far I haven't had one nor have I wanted to have one. The mints idea works well too, keep some altoids or something tasty in your pocket, and have one everytime you think about having a cigarette. Also, a neat thing to do is take the money you would spend on cigs every week or two, save it up and buy yourself something fun.

It's not easy to do, but it is definitely possible. I'll probably be an irritable ass for the next month or so, but I already feel better health wise and it's only been a few days.

You just changed you signature so don't act like you didn't. Before it was the quote right out of an AA meeting. There is nothing wrong with an AA meeting for the record...

ROFLMAO!!!!

That is hilarious. You have no idea who I am..ask anyone who knows me. I don't drink. I got that from Mr. Brooks <-- a movie. And everyone else who knows me still thinks its funny becuase I am Athiest.

Try again retard.

OMG you just made my day.

ROFLMAO!!!!

That is hilarious. You have no idea who I am..ask anyone who knows me. I don't drink. I got that from Mr. Brooks <-- a movie. And everyone else who knows me still thinks its funny becuase I am Athiest.

Try again retard.

OMG you just made my day.

And again you say from a previous post ..."I think I just figured out what is wrong with you..."

How can you figure me out when you never have met me in real life.

I think you should try again before you judge someone.

And again you say from a previous post ..."I think I just figured out what is wrong with you..."

How can you figure me out when you never have met me in real life.

I think you should try again before you judge someone.

You promoted the substitution of a legal substance with that of an illegal one.

That says pages....

;)

You promoted the substitution of a legal substance with that of an illegal one.

That says pages....

;)

I offered a solution to a problem. I am promoting nothing. One of my friends from high school used this to quit smoking. All he does is drink alcohol now.

You can interpret it anyway you want though. At the end of the day I still don't care.

Yes, but thats certainly a piece of the puzzle.

If you really want a clue on my problems go read the thread in the senior member section. The one that you tell something about yourself. Maybe then can I start you going in the right direction.

chew gum. Oral fixations are one of the sensations.

Eat food all day. Eat small meals, multiple(4-5) times a day and healthy. try eating food you normally dont eat. hunger is just one more craving you dont have to worry about and possibly confuse for a cig. craving.(as well as the added benefit of ramping up your metabolism.)

Start working out. You will notice how much you suck at anaerobic and use that as motivation.Dont get down on yourself for not being able to run like a pro...be persistent and hold yourself accountable for going to the gym3-4 time a week(include weekends and incerease the # of days as you progress). Dont make excuses and go in the morning if you can so you dont have all day to put if off. Working out can help relieve the stress of every day life and the added stress of not smoking.

Maybe think of it as a life style change...getting healthy in general, not just by ceasing smoking. Hitting your life from all angles(no smoking, eating right and working out) might take the lone emphasis off of smoking.

I didnt start cause I thought I looked cool. I grew up around my mom smoking and I wondered what it was like. I liked it when I tried it and that is that.

All of this statement especially the bold was :bs:

Nice try MR. 17.

The ONLY reason you start smoking as a teen is that you think you look grown up and cool. Yep when I was 17 I drank beer and got hammered because my parents drank a few beers here and there. :rolleyes:

I hate to ruin your Marlboro moment, but those wrinkles did not come naturally. Smoking causes bad wrinkles!! Just think what is doing to your organs. Also I hardly ever see a non smoker have a disc problem, it is almost exclusively a smokers problem.

The best way to quit is to not buy anymore.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1029/685401229_edd62bad4f.jpg?v=1183315194

Wow, weed is not even bad for you, nor will it help you stop smoking. Your body craves the nicotine, there is none of it in weed. Just try cold turkey, see how long you last. Honestly, I would say just start rolling your own cigarettes. Get a roller, some filters, papers, and a bag of tobacco. It is cheap as hell.

Well, I quit around 1 year and 5 months ago, and I smoke from the age of 14 to 24.

I believe in the cold turkey method, because that's how I did it and it works well. There is one other mind of thought to it, that I discovered somewhere here: http://whyquit.com/

It's a no frill website that give you loads of information. It made a great comparison to drug addicts and smokers. Prefaced with the thought that smokes are as addicting if not more than a heroin habit. When someone is addicted to Heroin, they don't try to ge off of it by cutting down on their daily doses....they quit/go into rehab.

Don't toture yourself by cutting down, because anything worth doing is worth doing all the way. Just as alcoholics can't have "just a couple", smokers cannot do the same.

It's really in your head 100%. And YOU have to decide that you've had it, you are tired of smoking, and that you are 100% ready to quit. If your not sure........don't do it. Don't waste your time, because smoking is a choice.

But the triggers are THE hardest thing to get over. Not smoking in the car SUCKS, not smoking on break SUCKS, no smoking after a meal SUCKS.........quitting overall SUCKS for about the first two days. The 30-60 second intense cravings felt like hours.

But I remember the first day I woke up and forgot that I used to smoke.......I was amazed that after a couple of weeks, it wasn't a battle anymore. Sure I would have loved to have one, but I CHOSE to quit, bottom line.

On top of this, my wife still smokes to this day. She even smoked inside at our previous address.......so I was still constantly around them on a daily basis. But I decided to quit, I didn't want it anymore.....she still smokes to this day and I have no desire to mess up all that I've worked for.

I thought of three things that made me quit: my health, my finances, and my future children.

Quitting smoking also made my life simpler....and I didn't expect that. I never have to worry about where my smokes are, or if I have a lighter around. It's just one less thing I have to forget.

If your ready to do it, don't wait, just do it.....because if you want to quit.....you will.

Reminds me of an old friend of mine. When I was a kid I rode a bicycle everywhere. One of my friends smoked like a chimney and he's go riding with me. He was a real competitive sort so he's start racing me. Naturally I won every time, and he's come huffing and puffing up behind me saying, "No fair, you don't smoke." And then he'd light a cigarette. :D

Of course, now he'd probably beat me..

Anyone know the best way to stop eating? :mad: