Happy Veterans day

Scotty2Hotty

As a vet I just have to say, the Marine Corps is part of the Navy....discuss.

BTW, I am just jabbing at Marines because it is what grunts and squids do. If you haven't been there, you don't know.

My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment- MARINE

I still like US ARMY backwards, Yes My Retarded Ass Signed Up

Or Uncle Sam Ain't Released Me Yet.

All services deserve this day :thumbup:

(But nothing can be done without combat engineers)

http://www.belvoir.army.mil/images/history/engineer.gif

So just a little history for anyone who would like it:

Veterans days is celebrated on the same day as Armistice Day or Rememberance Day in other countries. It should be celebrated on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month (November 11th for us, though generally 'officially' observed on other days.)

It is a anniversary to the signing of the Armistice that ended WWI or the 'War that would end all Wars.' (They had no clue what was to come ...)

It was made a legal holiday May 13th, 1938 -- A day dedicated to world peace.

I believe it was made official as 'Veteran's Day' on June 1st, 1954. After WWII happened, the day was no longer to be known as 'Armistice day.' Instead it was a day to honor all veterans of the United States in all wars. President Eisenhower issued the Veterans Day Proclamation.

1968 Veterans Day joined the Uniformed Holiday Bill, which ensures three-day weekends for federal employees. (Washington's Birthday, Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, and Columbus Day.) Because a 3 day weekend, encourages traveling, recreational and cultural activities in order to generate greater industrial and commercial production. However, many states continued to celebrate the day on it's original day.(Nov. 11)

So after a little confusion and the first time it being celebrated under the new law being October 25th, 1971. President Ford signed into law September 20th, 1975. That Veterans Day will be celebrated on it's original date, the restoration of the observance of the day helped to preserve the original historic significance of the day. This was widely accepted by all state legislatures, veterans associations, and the American people.

Veterans Affairs was made a cabinet level position in 1989, along with the Secretary of Veterans Affairs.

So many changes and alterations to the day itself but it is now pretty clear why we celebrate it. I'm personally glad we do, and it was odd when my little sister called me to ask me questions that her school had for veterans. Never have really considered myself part of the veterans group. I'm just proud to serve and do something that doesn't involve what I was into years ago.

Hell, I supposed I'm even proud to have Duty on the observance on Veterans Day today. :) 46 days till I'm home :).