Anyone deep fry a turkey?

SpaceGhost

He isn't lying when he says thaw it. If it isn't 100% thawed you will have a huge fire. I would suggest trying to find Alton Browns episode of Good Eats; he goes over the specifics of everything, it's very informative.

I fry one every year. Fill the fryer with water and submerse the turkey in it to find out how much oil to use. Mark the spot and fill the fryer with oil. I use canola and Peanut oil blended together, 3 gallons of Canola and 1 gallon of Peanut. Canola is healthier, if you don't care about that go with straight peanut oil. Heat the oil up to 375 degrees and try to keep the temperature slightly above 350 degrees while the turkey is cooking. Anything below 350 and the bird will start to absorb the oil. The temperature will drop quickly when you lower the bird in the oil hence why you need the oil to be 25-30 degrees above 350. Use a glove or you will burn your hand to a crisp, also make sure the bird is completely dry. I also recommend turning off the flame when you lower the bird in. The oil can splash everywhere. 3-4 minutes per pound and most people don't recommend frying a turkey over 12.5lbs. I always lift up the skin and rub Cajun spices all over the turkey. If you do put spices under the skin make sure you pin the skin back in place or you can overcook the breast part of the bird. Good luck!

deep fried turkey, if injected with flavoring, is always better than oven turkey

only do it on the grass, and away from the house. make sure if your kit doesnt come with it, to get the filters/spout, so you can save your oil

gander mountain has the best selection of the injectable marinades...personally, i love the rosemary garlic.

also, try to find something to keep the legs pushed somewhat away from the body, if possible, so the oil gets down in there. every time i do it, that part seems to come out uncooked. a digital meat thermometer will do wonders to keep it from overcooking

Tip 1: Do it FAR FAR away from your house and anything else flammable

Tip 2 (that i'm surprised no one else mentioned): If it's a very cold day, prepare to have to heat the propane tank up in order to keep it flowing properly. A bucket of hot water works well for this. If you get a cheap turkey fryer with a touchy regulator, this will become a requirement in order to keep the oil hot enough.

Just because it can't be stressed enough:

Get an outdoor propane fryer. DON'T do it on your stovetop!

Also, when lowering it, if you have the silly little coathanger hook, get a friend and use a 2x4 to lower the turkey in. It WILL splash.

Also, when setting up the turkey, put it NECK DOWN. Otherwise, the small neck hole makes for a geyser of oil.

Hmm, what else?

Dry Rub gets washed off by the oil.

Injections work, but the injection holes can turn black. Looks bad, but tastes fine.