HD Flat Screen TV Help

BloodRed

Ok, well on Thursday night, while driving home from the parents places for Thanksgiving, my wife says she wants to see about us getting a new, bigger TV. I am like, ok, no problem with me. Well with out doing much more than looking at prices on line, we went into Circuit City on Saturday and picked up a 40" Sony Bravia 1080p (biggest that would fit in our entertainment center) for $1200.

So we get home and I hook things up and I have been dissappointed in how bad things look on the screen. DVD's and the Wii look great (hooked up with composite cables), but regular TV sometimes looks really blocky. I have Insight digital cable and I have tried both using the coax cable and RCA hook up without much luck. My cable box does not have S-Video outlet or composite hook ups.

So any suggestions on what I should do to make my picture better? Should I upgrade to the HD service? My friends have the DVR box and they said that box has the composite hook ups? I really don't need the DVR, but if it is cheaper than HD service, I may go with that. So any other suggestions?

First of all regular cable service will look terrible on that TV. They don't tell you that at the store before you buy them. Secondly if you are using composite cables you are using right and left audio and then a single cable for video. All the the video is compressed onto the single cable resulting in poor video quality. Need to use at least an RGB video cable and separate audio. This is what I use and the picture in HD is great. Better yet use an HDMI cable for your video. The only reason I did not use HDMI is because I needed about a 75' cable for my custom install and I did not want to pay $300 for a cable that long.

i'm pretty sure you mean "component" hook-ups = red, green, blue

composite is rca = red, white, yellow

anyway, a box with component hook-ups will help, as well as calibrating your tv, and

i would also recommend that you turn on mpeg smoothing and noise reduction, for your cable input only, if your tv supports it, don't use them for your dvd or game inputs though

For the DVD and Wii, I am using the RGB video cables. They look great. But yeah, my cable box only has the 3 wire RCA (Yellow, Red, White) and that doesn't look the best. Unfortunitly, I live in an apartment complex and only have Insight or Direct TV as options for cable service.

For the DVD and Wii, I am using the RGB video cables. They look great. But yeah, my cable box only has the 3 wire RCA (Yellow, Red, White) and that doesn't look the best. Unfortunitly, I live in an apartment complex and only have Insight or Direct TV as options for cable service.

you need to upgrade your box

For a cheap fix, get a coax splitter and put it in before the cable box, then run a line into your TV's antenna/cable input. This will let you tune QAM (assuming your TV supports it) so you can watch the local OTA channels in HD by tuning them in with the TV. Then, go get an HD box from your cable co, preferably one with HDMI output.

HDMI cables? I missed that on the first pass. Monoprice.com is your friend, they have certified, in-wall capable cables at a fraction of the cost of retail stores. Also, HDMI carries digital audio along with the video, so you don't need a separate coax or optical audio line to get pristine sound. HDMI is well worth the investment (just spend your money at a place like monoprice, and NOT best buy or circuit city).

How hard is this with a calibration DVD? Anyone know?

Took me 2 hours! get it to look perfect on my t.v I just got the 47' lg best buy had for 1500 2 hours well spent though that was my first time so I'm sure a more experience person can get the t.v calibrated a lot faster

First of all regular cable service will look terrible on that TV. They don't tell you that at the store before you buy them. Secondly if you are using composite cables you are using right and left audio and then a single cable for video. All the the video is compressed onto the single cable resulting in poor video quality. Need to use at least an RGB video cable and separate audio. This is what I use and the picture in HD is great. Better yet use an HDMI cable for your video. The only reason I did not use HDMI is because I needed about a 75' cable for my custom install and I did not want to pay $300 for a cable that long.

This is a bit cheaper

I also have a 10% off code for that site if you are interested. I just ordered a 6 footer or something from them for my xbox.

Took me 2 hours! get it to look perfect on my t.v I just got the 47' lg best buy had for 1500 2 hours well spent though that was my first time so I'm sure a more experience person can get the t.v calibrated a lot faster

Where did you get the calibration DVD from?

not necessarily. I have a 42" 1080P Panasonic Plasma in our bedroom and it looks great even running straight from the WOW cable / wall into the TV. It's not HD up there yet, but I'm getting my 65" 1080P for the family room delivered this week and am waiting to do the HD upgrade to WOW until I get it set up.

Regular tv will always look horrible on a LCD tv because it is stretching the picture from a 4:3 letterbox picture into a 16:9 widescreen picture.

not necessarily. I have a 42" 1080P Panasonic Plasma in our bedroom and it looks great even running straight from the WOW cable / wall into the TV. It's not HD up there yet, but I'm getting my 65" 1080P for the family room delivered this week and am waiting to do the HD upgrade to WOW until I get it set up.

You think it looks great, but trust me, it really doesn't. It has nothing to do with what cable you have or anything, it is the ratio it is being broadcast in

Unless you are watching it in 4:3 letterbox mode

You think it looks great, but trust me, it really doesn't. It has nothing to do with what cable you have or anything, it is the ratio it is being broadcast in

Unless you are watching it in 4:3 letterbox mode

I never, EVER strech/zoom my picture. I hate the stretched out faces.

My g/f does it on hers, but her Sony LCD Rear Projection does some deal where it progressively stretches + slightly zooms, so it doesn't stretch the center as much. It actually looks pretty good as far as a stretch picture is concerned. My Sony doesn't do that, and I'd still rather watch my 4:3 programs as 4:3 programs (though the majority of my regularly watched programming is in HD).

BTW people, don't get too sold on the HDMI thing. I've seen TV's look WORSE with an HDMI signal than a component signal; all else being equal. I've seen it look slightly better before as well, and have seen off brand and older TV's that aren't HDCP compatiable not work at all thru HDMI / DVI.

Where did you get the calibration DVD from?

I 2nd that...

Digital Video Essentials (my personal favorite)

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-Essentials-Combo-Disc/dp/B000IHYY3Y/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1196230104&sr=8-1

and the other 2 i also use

Avia 2 - the original is what i use, but this update looks good

http://www.amazon.com/Avia-II-Guide-Home-Theater/dp/B000X4NJNS/ref=pd_bbs_5?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1196230104&sr=8-5

Sound & Vision Home Theater Setup

http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Vision-Home-Theater-Tune-Up/dp/B00005TRZA/ref=pd_bbs_9?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1196230104&sr=8-9

don't rent them through netflix or blockbuster, you need the color filters to fully setup

i have done enough t.v.'s for friends and family now that i tend to take about 30-45 mins

J.R.

Well last night I used the calibration set up from the website I listed above and it really helped a lot. Cleared up a lot of the problems I was having with it. I would suggest anyone trying out the set up they have listed on the website for your TV before I would attempt it on my own. Just my opinion.

I am still going to make the appointment for Insight to come out and upgrade me to HD service. It is only going to cost me an extra $10 over the extra I already pay for the digital box plus I get the DVR.