Those with CCW

XChris1632X

I have been real interested for a long time now about my concealed carry. I just got back home from active duty orders a couple weeks ago and I am ready to pursue obtaining a permit. My question is, I've heard some people say it can be a little different getting your ccw if you are in or you are prior service military. Is this true? Some have told me that the only difference is that I wouldn't have to qualify seeing as how I am certified expert marksman, some people have told me that they don't recognize military training and I have to take the same things everyone else does. I have also been told that I don't have to go through any training at all due to the fact that I have completed weapons training courses including safety and qualifications. Just looking for anyone to clear this up for me.

I would suggest calling up the places that hold the classes. The person that does the training should be able to tell you or find out for you. I know all the indoor gun ranges hold the classes, so give Blackwing/Powder Room/New Albany/Ohio Valley Outdoors a call. They should be able to let you know.

Even if you don't get anything off of your class, it is only a 12 hour course.

I have been real interested for a long time now about my concealed carry. I just got back home from active duty orders a couple weeks ago and I am ready to pursue obtaining a permit. My question is, I've heard some people say it can be a little different getting your ccw if you are in or you are prior service military. Is this true? Some have told me that the only difference is that I wouldn't have to qualify seeing as how I am certified expert marksman, some people have told me that they don't recognize military training and I have to take the same things everyone else does. I have also been told that I don't have to go through any training at all due to the fact that I have completed weapons training courses including safety and qualifications. Just looking for anyone to clear this up for me.

Your training did not cover the ins and outs of the Ohio CCW law, so I would guess you will have to take the class.

Your training did not cover the ins and outs of the Ohio CCW law, so I would guess you will have to take the class.

Yeah that is a very good point, almost all the training is just going over the Ohio CCW laws. So it may get you out of the 4 hours worth of range time, but I doubt it is going to get you out of the 8 hours of training.

According to this you may not have to take the class,

"A document that shows the applicant is an active or reserve member of

the armed forces, or was honorably discharged within the past six years,

or is a retired highway patrol trooper, or is a retired peace officer or

federal law enforcement officer and who, through the position, acquired

experience with handguns or other firearms that was equivalent to the

minimum educational requirements"

Here is a link to Ohio Attorney Generals Page and the CCW booklet they publish.

http://www.agohio.org/le/prevention/pubs/cc_booklet20070314.pdf

740-368-1890 is the number to the Deleware County Sheriff.

Call your county sherrif's office and see what documents they require for proof of training for current military. If they won't accept anything you have easy access to, then call the adjacent counties.

The last I was aware, there was a slight variation in the County sherrif's offices to what type of documentation of training they'd accept from active military. Some stipulated that it be current handgun certification and they require specific documents.

I called blackwing and one of the instructors of the course cleared a lot of things up for me. From what I understand is that the decision is up to local sherrif departments. You can either go to your residential county sherrif department or any county sorounding you. Basically the descresion is up to them and it is all based on my DD form 214 and what training is listed. Seeing that I have some of the most extensive handgun training the Air Force offers I don't see why anything would be an issue. He explained to me that some people who just show Basic Military Training weapons safety on their form 214 may not qualify enough to get a permit, considering you don't even touch a handgun. I just need to find my form 214 and make an appointment with one of the counties department.