Trailer tire question...

Boost-n-Juice

I have a 21' Cuddy boat that has a single axle trailer and it's the trailer that was purchased new when the original owner bought the boat. I'd have to get the paperwork out, but I think the boat weighs around 2500lbs, the trailer is made of steel and has an extra long tongue (longer than most I've seen anyway), I'd say the trailer weighs maybe 7-800lbs. To be safe, lets say the total package weighs 3500lbs.

With that said, the tires I have are rated at 1800lbs (@ max psi). So if my numbers are right, I'm right at the max. Most boats my size, the trailers usually have dual axles with smaller or equal size tires that I have.

Ok, sorry for the rambling (and probably will some more), here is my question...

When I tow the boat for more than 30 miles or so, I notice the tires get REALLY warm, almost too warm to touch, you can actually smell hot rubber when you stop after the longer trips. The furthest I've towed it is maybe 60 miles non-stop. I've already had one tire failure (belt broke and created a knot on the tread area), maybe it was from a pothole, I don't know but the tires are less than a year old.

A few things/problems you should also know that could be potential reasons for the tires getting hot is the trailer only has maybe 150lbs of tongue weight. I forget what the % should be, maybe adjusting the trailer to create more tongue weight, in return putting more weight on the truck would help? Also, from turning too tight someone bent the receiver on the tongue, it's maybe 1" off center. I would think this could be causing some of the problem and I will be replacing/fixing it.

Upgrading to dual axles would cost about $800. I don't have the time or want to be out in the cold right now doing the upgrade.

The ultimate question...

I'm about to pull this thing 1100 miles to Tampa, am I setting myself up for failure here?

Yes you are.

What ply are the tires? For the weight you have calculated you are 100 pounds from the limit. With what you are saying its sounds like you are really pushing those tires. I think my boat weighs in at 1800 and the trailer is 600. I run 8 ply tires on mine. I would definitely bump up your ply. I have towed my boat 100's of miles and never had a problem.

Check your ply and go from there. I have seen boats your size running only one axle. Its really not that uncommon, but its one of those things I always question.

Your tongue weight should be 5-7 percent of your total trailer weight. This should have been taken into consideration when the axle was installed on the trailer. There is really nothing you can do about that.

However, do you know what your tire pressure is? It shouldnt be at say 35-40 like a car. You need to have it to the max pressure that is listed on the side wall of the tire. This could be part of your problem.

As an example. The tires on my truck call for 80lbs of pressure. When I haul a full load in the bed. They are at 80 and to tell you the truth the thing rides so nice when there at that.

I believe my trailer tires are at 55lbs of pressure. I would have to double check when Im back at the shop tomorrow.

The damn boat is up at alum in storage, wish I had the correct info. The tire I just replaced was $125 from goodyear.

we hook people up on more than just car tires playa, call me when you get the specs off your current ones, I stock some trailer tires.

That is odd. I have a very similar setup. 20' cuddy on a single-axle heavy trailer. I also have very little tongue weight (I can pick the tongue up and walk the boat around in my garage, no problem). I am running Goodyears at less than max pressure.

I do not have any overheating issues. Are your rims getting hot, causing the tires to heat up from the inside-out?

Bearings in good shape + lubed?

EDIT: I just read your 1" out of alignment issue. I think that could be causing a lot of the issue. My S-10's 9" housing was 3 degrees off on one tube and ate countless parts for years before Slip-Tech finally built a new housing.

Good luck man.

Rims don't get hot, bearings are good to go. It really makes sense that it's the tongue/receiver being off center. I'm just in denial, or atleast wanted to see what you guys thought. I'm 90% sure that is the problem. I mean, it's basically trying to pull the trailer down the road side ways! hahaha!

We'll see I guess. Thanks guys!

BC

If I remember correctly you had passenger car tires on your trailer. I can get you hooked up on trailer tires if you need.

Well that could be part of the problem.

If the tongue is off center that should not affect the tires. All that will do is make the trailer track differently. (it wont be square behind your truck) but the trailer itself will still go down the road straight.

Well that could be part of the problem.

If the tongue is off center that should not affect the tires. All that will do is make the trailer track differently. (it wont be square behind your truck) but the trailer itself will still go down the road straight.

Think of a box with a string tied to it and the string is not tied to the center, when you pull the string the rear of the box will kick out to the one side and then go straight but still be sideways . So basically, that would cause friction on the tread of tire because it essentially is trying to go down the road sideways but the forward motion and pull of the truck will not allow it.

If I remember correctly you had passenger car tires on your trailer. I can get you hooked up on trailer tires if you need.

No, they are some heavy duty trailer tires, Carisle or something like that. They are huge! I forget the exact size, but they are about as wide as a 235 and have a serious side wall.

Just found this quoted on tire rack...

"If the tires are hot to the touch from operation, add three psi to the max inflation. "

"The combined capacity of all of the tires should exceed the loaded trailer weight by 20 percent."

Also found out they have a 3yr warranty. Damn.

Looks like I need to hit up a weigh station and probably go with some ST's with a higher load range.

Think of a box with a string tied to it and the string is not tied to the center, when you pull the string the rear of the box will kick out to the one side and then go straight but still be sideways . So basically, that would cause friction on the tread of tire because it essentially is trying to go down the road sideways but the forward motion and pull of the truck will not allow it.

Brian I see what your saying. Not to debate but I could show you on a trailer at my shop. The tires will center theirself on the road no matter the angle of the tongue. The trailer v's after the tongue correct?

Using your example. Tie a string to both corners of the box the one string centered on that and pull it. No matter where the center string position is the other side is always centered.

:)

five on 4 1/2 is mustang or ford truck bolt pattern isn't it?

get a couple of take off cheapy wheels in 15 or 16 then you can step up from a cload tire to a d or an e

I have a couple spare 17" tri-spokes...hmmm

Hell, they worked on Bart the Bronco...

http://img2.putfile.com/thumb/1/815542494.jpg

Brian I see what your saying. Not to debate but I could show you on a trailer at my shop. The tires will center theirself on the road no matter the angle of the tongue. The trailer v's after the tongue correct?

Using your example. Tie a string to both corners of the box the one string centered on that and pull it. No matter where the center string position is the other side is always centered.

:)

Yeah, that makes sense.