22RE Toyota, who knows them?

Science Abuse

I wanna know everything that I haven't already read. :)

What free mods are there for this engine?

What are the dimensions?

What do they weigh?

I want to swap a celica 22RE+trans in place of a 4AC in a certain 2000lb car, wondering how far forward/back/high it will sit. I'm not finding ANYONE who's done this swap, except Toysport in 1985, and I can't find any infor on the car.

You'd be better off doing a 3TC swap. If you go the 22RE way you'd have to get a GTS tank/pump, engine harness, ecu, etc. A 3TC swap would just need the engine harness and whatnot. You can make a ton of power with a 3TC.

3TC would be cheaper, and you can get more power. There aren't a ton of things you can do to a 22RE to get a ton of power. Although they did have a 22RTE in some 4runner/trucks back in the 80's. They are hard to find though. Swaping a 20R head will get you some extra power to the 22RE.

I'm hoping to get another Corolla this summer. Getting back to my Toyota roots. I start my job at Tansky Sawmill Toyota on Monday. :)

You'd be better off doing a 3TC swap.

I've run into this problem everywhere on AE86 boards. I'm not frustrated with you directly, I like you. But it just seems like EVERY time some one asks abou a certain engine swap, everyone replies with "No, you need to....". If I wanted to swap a 4AGE, I would have asked about one! lol

Anyways, back on point: It will most certainly not be cheaper to do anything compared to the 22RE, because I've found an entire Celica GT with a fresh rebuild thats been wrecked, $500 is the asking price. That gives me almost all of the things you mentioned, PLUS a set of wheels that will swap. ;) Junkyard warrior build, mang. ;)

Seeeeee thars a reason that I asked specifically about the 22RE. ;)

p.s. if you know of a 3TC somewhere for a similar price, I'd be interested. Back when Toysport was good, they sucessfully raced a 22RE AE86, layed to waste a pair of GTS's too. ;)

I had a cheap cold air intake, and full exhaust on my last truck, and it ran faily strong for what it was. For any performance parts check out http://lcengineering.com/ I can also measure my 22re and transmission I have sitting around. I will let you know measurements tomorrow or saturday.

I understand your reasoning and it makes sense. I've owned a Celica with one of the 22R's in it, similar, just not FI. I'm just suggesting the 3TC over the 22RE b/c it's a lot easier to find 3TC parts and they are alot cheaper. Just from my experience.

That LC engineering place is taxed. At least it was back when I was looking at parts for my Celica.

You could probably find a 3TC setup on toyota3tc.com

trd made factory turbo 22re's, so if you can find a kit or one of the trd pick up trucks rusted to death that would be a very cheap gain in power....not to mention thanks to the offroad world you can buy alot of internal performance parts for the 22re......try browsing jc whitneys website

I know some things about 22RE's. They are found in pickups from 1985 1/2 - 1995 1/2.

I pulled the one from my `92 pickup to swap in a chevy 350. The 22RE and all its gear takes up more space than the 350 does. I've never done them in a car though. I do know a guy who sends LC engineering blank checks though and he's got a really hot running 22RE from it:-)

Really if you want the best information on free 22RE mods you should check the toyota 4x4 forums. They are packed with guys doing anything and everything to those engines. I know a lot about them myself and might be able to help with some stuff.

Evan

The kabash, it seems, will come from the 22REs front sump, it just doesn't jive with the AE86 K member and rack. :(

Though not comfortable for the driver...what if we put the engine completely behind the K? Great for the COG. :cool:

don't you still weld?

cut off the front sump weld in a patch made from the rear of the pan and move the sump back....

then get some tube and move the pickup to the new rear location in the pan