Embarassing question... Car title

Science Abuse

It's been 6 or 7 years since I last bought a car from a private party, so I really haven't had to futz with much paperwork....so I kinda forgot some things.

What do I do with this title now? :o

I'd like to get it tagged and on the road this Saturday morning, do I have to do all that stuff at the BMV in my county, or can I do it at any BMV?

Some of you guys buy another car every seasons, could ya help me out a bit? :)

Any BMV can get you taken care of. Just take the title, a current insurance card(not for the new car, just showing you have car insurance) and license. I don't think they actually ask for the insurance card, but you never know. Also if you purchased the car from out of state they will want to inspect it.

Jason

It's been 6 or 7 years since I last bought a car from a private party, so I really haven't had to futz with much paperwork....so I kinda forgot some things.

What do I do with this title now? :o

I'd like to get it tagged and on the road this Saturday morning, do I have to do all that stuff at the BMV in my county, or can I do it at any BMV?

Some of you guys buy another car every seasons, could ya help me out a bit? :)

Is it in your name already? If so, just go to the BMV and get it registered. You can go to any State of Ohio BMV.

Also if you purchased the car from out of state they will want to inspect it.

Jason

I bought it in Dublin, but the title say "East coast foo". (Srsly, it does!)

Do inspections have to be scheduled? Do they have to be in your county? Or can it be done right there?

Edit, just read on the BMV site, they can inspect it for $3.50 at any deputy registrars office.

Now, getting the car there. It doesn't have tags on it, would they be a bit pissed if I showed up with tagless car? "Did you drive it here like this?"

Would they beleive me if I told them that the previous owner dropped us off and took the tags home with him? :)

Make sure you have a second form of id, IE social security card. They are real assholes about that. When i had a salvage title inspection to get a rebuilt title i had to drive my K5 to the bmv with no tags. Thats what they said to do and if i was pulled over present the paper for the inspection.

Get it notarized and bring out here with you. The Johnstown BMV is very friendly and easy to deal with, they are never busy either. They can issue a temp tag to roll around on untill you get the title transfered, cost around 10 bucks.

As in, I show up at 8am and get the temp tag. Then go put it on the car, and drive it back to the BMV?

Google shows them just up off of 62, right?

Correct for the most part. Johnstown's BMV can't do title work, only issue tags, driver's licenses, and such. The nearest title agency is in Pataskala, about 10 miles south of here. Or you can just sport the temp tag untill you get a chance to transfer the title, you'll have 30 days to do so.

Some places don't do title work. The one in Gahanna here does. I just did this today.

Bought the jeep yesterday. Took the title and my license to the Gahanna BMV, signed my name a few times and $30 later I was out with a temp tag and a registration. Too bad I can't drive the jeep lol.

As long as the title is notarized and the person/company signed their name on it you shouldn't have a problem.