Anyone been watching Barrett Jackson discuss

BDHG940

barret sucks, just a bunch of people with more money then brains ruining a hobby.....since all these auctions became popular everyone thinks there pre 1970 junk is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.....meow

Wow, you've insulted me twice in as many days. First, the inbred f-body guy, and now with the pre 1970 is junk comment. Were there any 81 Marquis at BJ this year? Or any auction for that matter? ;)

My dad's friend at work sold a restored 428 Cobra Jet Torino to a guy out of state for around 30 or 35k a while back.......He recently saw his car, as well as the guy who bought it from him, at barret jackson on tv......it sold for 100k!!!!!!! 1 of 200 made in the color, apparently not rare enough already. I couldn't believe it.

Barrett-Jackson is as much of an "event" as it is an auction. People that are players in higher end collector cars want to be seen there as it affirms their position in the collector car world. With high wealth individuals, it is another forum or stage on which they compete with each other. To many of them its more about personal ego and winning, and not so much about the cars. Hence, prices there are among the highest at any auction.

We find ways to entertain ourselves and this happens to be a way that high wealth individuals enterain themselves. I don't begrudge anyone for having money and spending it, although to an earlier point the prices at Barrett Jackson tend to distort the rest of the market that most of us play in. Every guy with a '60's muscle car thinks it's worth at least 10 grand even if it's a basket case.

I am also tired of Speed showing "motoring lifestyle" types of shows rather than the racing it used to. Kind of like when MTV used to play music videos most of the time. But, whatever it takes to pay the bills, I suppose.