apartment lease question...

evan9381

so i had to re-sign my lease last year in late april/early may. they had a deal if i signed a 13 month lease that i got 1/2 off the 1st month. i really didnt want to get into another year, as i was month to month for 6 months prior to that. new management basically said sign a lease, rent will go up 10$, gave me the option of a 6 mo lease for 50$/mo more. so i signed the lease for 13 months

NOW, the lease that i have shows a lease start date as "5/01/07" and a lease end date of "5/031/07" (yes, thats how it appears). ive looked at it, and it does not state anything such as "13 month", it just shows those dates. it DOES have something showing i think they call it a "concession", which is the same amount they gave me off the 1st month

i have been wanting to move up to the westerville area, and have an opportunity to split a house with my brother and his g/f, which will put me closer to work, and save me some $ each month.

so how hard would it be to get out of the lease? they have the same lease i have (i got the copy), so its right there in black and white. if i do try to get out of it, what is the chances they will try to get the 250$ or so back from me they gave me off the 1st month, and if they do try, what are the chances i will legally be held to pay it?

TIA

So the only thing you would lose is your 250 deposit? If so how long would it take for you to make that up by moving to Westerville and cutting down on your transportation and cheaper rent with your brother? A month, 3 months, 6months etc..? I wouldnt be surprised if the only way to get that money back is small claims court or some sort of litigation, property management companies are real strict about their leasee policies and losing money, go figure right? :)

im not really worried about losing 250. its a 17 mile trip one way now, and even carpooling w/ my g/f who works around the corner, we're still going thru quite a bit of gas. moving within 2 miles of work, id ride a bike in the summer (no lie)

what my main point of the post was, is if the lease end date shows as "5/031/07", and says nothing about the term of the lease, if i just give them 30 day notice, what are the chances they could try to get me for leaving early. I know it was a 13 month lease, but whats on paper is on paper

I think someone messed up on your lease. But hey put in your 30 or 60 day notice (what ever is required per your lease) and if they tell you you will be breaking your lease and blah blah blah, show them the copies of the lease they gave you. Even if they won't back down, you can call back your notice.

I had a neighbor who wanted to get out and the same thing happened. The office put an end date of last June. My neighbor talked to a lawyer who said the most they could do was back charge them a "per month" rate which was $50 more per month from June till now. I think my neighbor is still considering this cause it's cheaper and easier than breaking a lease, and they want out that bad. Your office may not even think of back charging you, and to be honest that doesnt seem right to me. But you can definitely get out of the lease since it's written like that.