Anyone work for the State of Ohio?

MrMeanGreen

I worked for the state for 30 years and retired. I first was with the Health Dept, then the OEPA. The state is a great place to work - most departments. If it hasn't changed, they have 5-6 "step" raises depending on the classification. Each step raise is about 5%. After 6 months you get a step, then after a year you get another. Then you get a step each year until you are in step X - the end of the step raises. Then you have to rely on the legislature to hand out raises, if you are management or the union to negotiate a raise. Plus you used to get "longevity" pay after a certain number of years. Also depending on the department, there are usually opportunities to get promotoed - and some jobs they only fill with internal applicants. Don't let anyone tell you the benefits suck, because they are really good. You get 2 weeks vacation after a year, up to 6 weeks after 20 or 25 years. Paid holidays, 3 personal days a year (if they still do that) a bunch of paid sick leave days each year, free life insurance, dental and vision insurance as well as healthcare. The healthcare costs have gone up, but it's a great plan. You get to accumulate unused vacation and sick leave. Then when you retire, you get paid 100% for all your vacation, all personal days and half your sick leave. Plus the retirement plan is THE best that I know of. They also have a deferred compensation program that is really terrific, and I'd advise you to get into it if you do get a job there - you can build a LOT of $$ in it fast. Many people I worked with had amassed >500k in it after 20+ years.

Don't underestimate the retirement plan either - many young folks think that's really far off - well take it from me, you get there before you know it. Very few places can you work 30 years, then you retire and have your take home pay stay about the same - for life - and I pay maybe $20/month for healthcare, dental and vision.

The state politics CAN get annoying, but what job doesn't have negative things. That's why it's called a JOB. I just did my job as best I could and tried not to worry about the crap.

Good Luck!

Don