Buying Long Range Rifle, Suggestions???

EVILGTP98

Well with tax time rolling around and money burning a hole in my pocket, I have decided to purchase a new weapon. I been doing some research and I am looking for a bigger bore rifle, 308 was 1 of my options I was really interested in, and I saw 2 decently priced 7mm Remingtons this evening. Any suggestions or ideas bout a rifle to try or look into or either of the 2 mentioned above? I am wanting a rifle to shoot pretty consistantly at 700 yards, why??? Because its what I want, lol. My other option that is on the back burner is a full frame Kimber Custom II, with the rail under barrel and the crimson trace grips. Discuss...

Lots of choices out there. I'd probably go with .308 for starters as well. I'd also go with a bolt gun. Why? I feel you'll concentrate better on making the shot, versus just lobbing lead down range. Also, you'll find you don't shoot as much ammo, making it cheaper, plus, you're making the shots you do make, count.

A couple things to note:

1. You're going to need a scope. Budget for it. A good rule of thumb I've always heard is plan on spending ATLEAST what you spent on your gun, on a scope/base/rings setup. Why? A good gun won't do you a damn bit of good if you can't see what you're aiming for. Leupold is probably where I'd start looking. U.S. optics, S&B, etc, if you REALLY want to spend some money. Decent leupolds can be had for probably $500+, depending on what you get.

2. Ammo. Don't skimp here. Inconsistent ammo = inconsistent shots. Federal Gold Metal Match seems to be the factory round of choice for .308 distance shooting. Precision reloading if you're really serious.

As for guns, well, that's personal preference. Again, I'm not a fan of telling someone to 'buy this gun.' Find what you like and roll with it.

Remington 700P and Savage 10FP would probably be MY two choices for starter .308s. They're decently priced, and upgradable (the Remington having more aftermarket).

P.S. There are better 1911s than Kimber for the $$$.

P.S.S Going to find a badass article I found earlier on practical distance shooting. BRB.

Well it was definatly goin to be a bolt gun, the ammo, will be reloaded, not at first, but after everything gets going and I like what I am working with, it will all be loaded by me. I have really been searching for a 308, I like the caliber alot, it seems from what I gather a very consistant hard hitting round, and 300 to 1000 yard shots seem to be obtainable with the right conditions and upgrades and practice. I threw the kimber in there for shits, I was really on the kick for 1 but I want a long range rifle.

I also heard that rule of thumb as well about a scope, leaupold was my 1st choice, I have found decent prices, guess it just depends on the gun. Keep the input coming guys, thanks.

Don't skimp on a mere 800-1000 yds, go for the the full mile shot lol, get a barrett.

truthfully, a worked remington 700 is a hell of a great long range gun, and check these guys out for some upgrades:

http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/cust_remington_700.php

I had them rework a mini 14 for me 7-8 years ago, and it was one of the most accurate assault rifles ive ever shot, all the way out to 600-700 yds.

I kicked around a 50 cal, but ammo is pricey, recoil is managable, i just like that 308 look and feel, plus is not a chore to lug it around in the field. But that article is very good, thanks for the link, I read bout half, I am gonna have to come back to finish it. Tons of info in there, lots of good knowledge.

thanks

why??? Because its what I want, lol.

ok, i have a serious question. why? like for real why. like, how often do you think youll use this, and what for, or is it cool just to say you have it, and can blast shit from 700 yards? (l admit, that is pretty cool) help a black dude from the city try to understand the mindset.

p.s. it sounds like youll be spending well over a grand on this whole set up, and i cant help but ponder what kinds of other cool shit i could get for that. trust me, i understand the whole "different strokes for different folks" bit, but id like to get some insight. not tryin to be a dickhead, im just curious.

It really depends on 2 things: How much money do you want to spend?

What exactly do you want to do with the rifle?

The 2 makers that I have had experience with and would recommend are Remington and Savage. Both have there pros/cons, really comes down to personal choice.

Scenario 1: A carry rifle that has the potential to reach 1000 yards but is lightweight and portable = Rem 700 sps tactical as Killjoy linked to or Savage 10FP, both in .308

Both should be had for under $700 (Savage usually cheaper)

Scenario 2: A long range rifle that can reach 1000 yards and is designed more for LR shooting than portability = Rem 700 xcr tactical/sps varmint or Savage 10fp/12fv, all in .308 Prices vary with Savage on low end, Rem sps varmint middle, Rem xcr high end, price wise.

If you are truly looking for a long range rifle and that is what you want to use it for, I would go scenario 2. Remington in scenario 1 is only a 20" barrel and fairly lightweight. The Remington xcr (scenario 2) seems like a good rifle but I don't have any personal experience with it.

I use the Savage 10fp in both scenarios, because it has a 24" barrel with a bit more weight. Also, the Savage will probably be the cheaper priced rifle. As far as that goes, I'll give specs on my long range rifle.

Savage 110fp (long action)

24" heavy barrel

Choate ultimate sniper stock

Bausch and Lomb Elite 4000 scope (6 x 24)

Harris bipod

I built this rifle only for stationary shooting, it certainly isn't lightweight and I would hate to have to pack it very far. It weighs in at roughly 17 pounds. However, weight is your friend in long range shooting, more stability and less felt recoil. Also, the longer the barrel the more velocity, velocity is your friend at 1000 yards. The choate ultimate sniper stock is awesome (imo), you either hate it or love it. It features aluminum bedding block, free floats the barrel, length of pull adjustment, etc. See it at http://www.choatestocks.com/UltimateSniper.html

I have personally shot my rig at 500 yards with very good results, using reloads. When you start getting out there in yardage, a lot of it is the shooter, so practice all you can. Correct distance and learning to read wind/elevation are key.

Anyways, according to today's prices, you could snatch up a Savage 10fp for say $500, Stock $200, then your choice of optics is up to you. That being said, the Savage IMO is a great deal for the money and will do all that the Remington will do, just cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, I have a few Remmy's, but since I built my Savage, I'm a believer. Let me know if you have any questions.

Don't skimp on a mere 800-1000 yds, go for the the full mile shot lol, get a barrett.

Skip the Barrett and go directly to 20mm. http://smiliesftw.com/x/jerkbowdown.gif

http://www.anzioironworks.com/images/20-mm.jpg

20mm vs 50cal

http://www.anzioironworks.com/images/20mmwith50a-1.jpg

Have any of you looked at the MOA on the Barretts? Not exactly what you want if you shooting at your standard military qualifying silhouette. The TAC .50 would be more suited for the application, where a Barrett with AP or SLAP would be wise for long range light armor shooting.

If you want reliable and long range effective - Tac Ops 700P package. .25 MOA, classic 700 action, around 1600$ + rifle. You won't find many rifles with that kind of MOA / $. Call Tac Ops, talk to Mike. He know's his shit (taking off the shelf rifles in the 1/2" MOA rating and guaranteeing 1/4" MOA when finished requires more then luck)

Not to be offensive about the topic, but have you shot from 800-1000m before? That's no stone throw, and .308 isn't exactly cheap. You might want to start with something cheap to operate to focus on breathing technique,form,etc.

Have any of you looked at the MOA on the Barretts? Not exactly what you want if you shooting at your standard military qualifying silhouette. The TAC .50 would be more suited for the application, where a Barrett with AP or SLAP would be wise for long range light armor shooting.

If you want reliable and long range effective - Tac Ops 700P package. .25 MOA, classic 700 action, around 1600$ + rifle. You won't find many rifles with that kind of MOA / $. Call Tac Ops, talk to Mike. He know's his shit (taking off the shelf rifles in the 1/2" MOA rating and guaranteeing 1/4" MOA when finished requires more then luck)

Not to be offensive about the topic, but have you shot from 800-1000m before? That's no stone throw, and .308 isn't exactly cheap. You might want to start with something cheap to operate to focus on breathing technique,form,etc.

Nate keep them quite :)

I can be safe to say, nobody here has fired or disassembled, let alone carry a Barrett M107 or equivalent. Heavy as sin, and not the most accurate of rifles to a point. Unless you're a serious shooter, leave the .50 BMG alone. Buy a Remington 700, throw a Harris bi-pod on it, and a nice 3X9 scope. You'll be tickled pink with a .308 or 300WSM, hell a .270 aint bad for what it is either.

Basic good shooting rifle

http://www.snipercountry.com/photogallery/Rem700PSS_SightronSII4_16x42MilDot.jpg

Skip the Barrett and go directly to 20mm. http://smiliesftw.com/x/jerkbowdown.gif

http://www.anzioironworks.com/images/20-mm.jpg

20mm vs 50cal

http://www.anzioironworks.com/images/20mmwith50a-1.jpg

1 MOA @ 100 yards...ok

10 MOA @ 1000 yards....hope your spotter can see the vapor trail

20 MOA @ 2000 yards.......Hope your target is atleast 20"x20"

30 MOA @ 3000 yards...................http://smiliesftw.com/x/ughusd.gif