Fuel Pump Question

Linc5.0

My Rx-7 sometimes has trouble starting...it will crank, fire...but then die out...then tonight this happened and I could not get it started. Then I heard a high pitched kinda squeek coming from the rear of the car as i tried to turn it over...after i stopped trying i still heard this noise...any ideas, suggestions?thanks

ps...i did finally get it started...

Just got the car...No cus its at my house and not at my shop with my tools...I will have to wait till tues when I get back in town...just seeing if this is most likely it...dont know what else could be making that noise from back of car....did you get your motor out?

Could very well be the pump. The leak may or may not be related. You need to locate the leak.

If it is leaking from the rear, probably related.

If it is leaking on top of the engine, not so much, but you MUST fix the leak. The leading cause of engine fires are the pulsation dampener located at the rear (firewall side) of the primary fuel rail. You will NOT be able to see it unless you take the upper intake manifold off.

yea I was doing my research on the matter this evening...its coming from the back side of the motor...it has stopped.. but yea do i have to replace the pulsar or just eliminate it?there is alot of people saying things both ways on the rx boards....i do not have a regulator...I live in the Polaris area. Any help would be appreciated...im gonna have to pull the Intake manifold at some point..Im gonna have to go back out and plow tonight...so prolly not tomorrow. If you would be willing to help that would be great..and id like to help you pull that motor...so i know for future reference :thumbup:

No problem. If it is coming from the back of the motor towards the firewall, it could be as simple as the lines right there are split or have a small hole. It could be the FPD since they fail easily. You could eliminate it, i still havent and i have a FPR.

Are you still seq or non seq? Just be careful when you pull the vac lines. twist off dont pull. Ill help you out, no problem.

by the way mike you dont happen to have a passenger side mount?

okay so I pulled the cover off to access the fuel pump...and there are two electric lines(not factory) running from the wiring of the pump to a toggle switch under the dash....what the fuck is that for??very confused///

Fuel pump cut off switch, which was probably installed for a cold start problem. the switch could be the problem if it is wired in directly to the pump. It may not be able to handle the amperage. It seems that a previous owner may have had some starting issues as well.