The Real Obama

Guest Hal

I don't think this needs to be in the kitchen, at least not now. It's just interesting to read.

Written by Ken Blackwell, an African American.

“[C]ivilizational war is real, even if political leaders and polite punditry must call it by another name.”

--Robert D. Kaplan in the December 2001 issue of the Atlantic Monthly

It’s an amazing time to be alive in America. We’re in a year of firsts in this presidential election: the first viable woman candidate; the first viable African-American candidate; and, a candidate who is the first frontrunning freedom fighter over 70. The next president of America will be a first.

We won’t truly be in an election of firsts, however, until we judge every candidate by where they stand. We won’t arrive where we should be until we no longer talk about skin color or gender.

Now that Barack Obama steps to the front of the Democratic field, we need to stop talking about his race, and start talking about his policies and his politics.

The reality is this: Though the Democrats will not have a nominee until August, unless Hillary Clinton drops out, Mr. Obama is now the frontrunner, and its time America takes a closer and deeper look at him.

Some pundits are calling him the next John F. Kennedy. He’s not. He’s the next George McGovern. And it’s time people learned the facts.

Because the truth is that Mr. Obama is the single most liberal senator in the entire U.S. Senate. He is more liberal than Ted Kennedy, Bernie Sanders, or Mrs. Clinton.

Never in my life have I seen a presidential frontrunner whose rhetoric is so far removed from his record. Walter Mondale promised to raise our taxes, and he lost. George McGovern promised military weakness, and he lost. Michael Dukakis promised a liberal domestic agenda, and he lost.

Yet Mr. Obama is promising all those things, and he’s not behind in the polls. Why? Because the press has dealt with him as if he were in a beauty pageant.

Mr. Obama talks about getting past party, getting past red and blue, to lead the United States of America. But let’s look at the more defined strokes of who he is underneath this superficial “beauty.”

Start with national security, since the president’s most important duties are as commander-in-chief. Over the summer, Mr. Obama talked about invading Pakistan, a nation armed with nuclear weapons; meeting without preconditions with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who vows to destroy Israel and create another Holocaust; and Kim Jong II, who is murdering and starving his people, but emphasized that the nuclear option was off the table against terrorists — something no president has ever taken off the table since we created nuclear weapons in the 1940s. Even Democrats who have worked in national security condemned all of those remarks. Mr. Obama is a foreign-policy novice who would put our national security at risk.

Next, consider economic policy. For all its faults, our health care system is the strongest in the world. And free trade agreements, created by Bill Clinton as well as President Bush, have made more goods more affordable so that even people of modest means can live a life that no one imagined a generation ago. Yet Mr. Obama promises to raise taxes on “the rich.” How to fix Social Security? Raise taxes. How to fix Medicare? Raise taxes. Prescription drugs? Raise taxes. Free college? Raise taxes. Socialize medicine? Raise taxes. His solution to everything is to have government take it over. Big Brother on steroids, funded by your paycheck.

Finally, look at the social issues. Mr. Obama had the audacity to open a stadium rally by saying, “All praise and glory to God!” but says that Christian leaders speaking for life and marriage have “hijacked” — hijacked — Christianity. He is pro-partial birth abortion, and promises to appoint Supreme Court justices who will rule any restriction on it unconstitutional. He espouses the abortion views of Margaret Sanger, one of the early advocates of racial cleansing. His spiritual leaders endorse homosexual marriage, and he is moving in that direction. In Illinois, he refused to vote against a statewide ban — ban — on all handguns in the state. These are radical left, Hollywood, and San Francisco values, not Middle America values.

The real Mr. Obama is an easy target for the general election. Mrs. Clinton is a far tougher opponent. But Mr. Obama could win if people don’t start looking behind his veneer and flowery speeches. His vision of “bringing America together” means saying that those who disagree with his agenda for America are hijackers or warmongers. Uniting the country means adopting his liberal agenda and abandoning any conflicting beliefs.

But right now everyone is talking about how eloquent of a speaker he is and — yes — they’re talking about his race. Those should never be the factors on which we base our choice for president. Mr. Obama’s radical agenda sets him far outside the American mainstream, to the left of Mrs. Clinton.

It’s time to talk about the real Barack Obama. In an election of firsts, let’s first make sure we elect the person who is qualified to be our president in a nuclear age during a global civilizational war.

---------------------------------------------

Mr. Blackwell is Chairman of the Coalition for a Conservative Majority, a Fellow at the American Civil Rights Union, and the Buckeye Institute. He is a columnist for the New York Sun, a contributing editor for Townhall.com, and a member of the NRA Public Affairs Committee.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If our Healthcare system is the best in the world then why is it that everyone agrees that it needs to be reformed?

And saying that his views are "California views" who put him in to office in the first place? Maybe its that people outside of California like his views but have never been confronted with a canidate that shared them?

I will agree on the issue of declaring war on Pakistan is scary though. On that issue ut sounds like another Bush all over again.

If our Healthcare system is the best in the world then why is it that everyone agrees that it needs to be reformed?

I think it needs reformed but for far different reasons than the majority. Most people think they have a "right" to free health care. The majority of the public think that Doctors should not profit from practice. M.D.'s and I will disagree on many subjects in health care, but one thing I think that we will agree on is a free market works in health care just like any other field. The advances we have in health care come out of free enterprise. If you put Uncle Sam in charge, you might as well put the brakes on.

And saying that his views are "California views" who put him in to office in the first place? Maybe its that people outside of California like his views but have never been confronted with a canidate that shared them?

I will agree on the issue of declaring war on Pakistan is scary though. On that issue ut sounds like another Bush all over again.

I think he is speaking about healthcare in a different sense. I think he is saying we have the best medical care in the world.

California is far more liberal than the rest of the country typically. Obama is about as liberal as it gets in mainstream politics. People have been confronted with plenty of candidates with liberal views, they tend to not be front runners.

I forgot that getting Saddam out of power was a bad thing like attacking Pakistan. I mean, he didn't have WMD's, but he said he was planning to start his programs again. And you must've forgotten that it takes congress to go to war.

And you must've forgotten that it takes congress to go to war.

no it doesn't they just call it a police action instead of a war to get around it.... I'd pay close attention when somebody says something like that most of us on this board are still young enough to get drafted

anyone else catch who it was written by? your former secretary of state in ohio and gubernatorial candidate, ken blackwell. for the record, hes a republican.

(and yes, i voted for him.)

i hate the idea of a bigger government. neither obama nor clinton will get my vote. the guy i wanted is out.

Just because Ken is black don't mean shit. Hes a fucking republican. Of course he's going to be critical of obama. Don't try and make this out to be something big just because he's black . Its nothing more then another attempt to smear obama.

From my reading the first few lines calling mccain a freedom fighter is absolute bullshit. Mccain don't want to do shit but the same shit bush has done which is revoke privacy and rights.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Blackwell

To be honest I don't know who I'm going to vote for. I need to read more on mccaine but from what I've skimmed over I did not care for him.

Just because Ken is black don't mean shit. Hes a fucking republican. Of course he's going to be critical of obama. Don't try and make this out to be something big just because he's black . Its nothing more then another attempt to smear obama.

enhance your calm, citizen. no one is making this a race thing. i just pointed out who wrote it, in fact, i didnt even mention that he was black.

i am critical of obama too, but it has nothing to do with his ethnic background. i am for states rights and liberty, and against big government. therefore, im am mostly a republican. (by definition, that is. todays republican is yesterdays democrat)

I forgot that getting Saddam out of power was a bad thing like attacking Pakistan. I mean, he didn't have WMD's, but he said he was planning to start his programs again. And you must've forgotten that it takes congress to go to war.

I won't get into the debate again, but WMD's are there BTW. We'll keep it at that. Saddam out of power, and both of his sons dead, mean we won't have to deal with the dictator fanaticism like we did. One way or another, the US invading Iraq was going to happen. I'm glad I went over so my children never would have to do such things. It's good we did this now rather than later, and not to mentioned had the utter balls to do so. The Gulf War should've done it, but never did. We just had to do it basically alone, and did one hell of a job.

I won't get into the debate again, but WMD's are there BTW. We'll keep it at that. Saddam out of power, and both of his sons dead, mean we won't have to deal with the dictator fanaticism like we did. One way or another, the US invading Iraq was going to happen. I'm glad I went over so my children never would have to do such things. It's good we did this now rather than later, and not to mentioned had the utter balls to do so. The Gulf War should've done it, but never did. We just had to do it basically alone, and did one hell of a job.

I disagree with you scott. Sadam admited he did not have wepons. I've got Miltary family I've talked to about this issue over and over. My cousin said when he was over ther ethe closet thing he seen were Ground to Air Missles.

I'm sick of your Bush lovin TRUST ME statesments. The wepons were not there. If they were we would have said something just to make the war loook legit and increase support for the war.

What reason in the world should we have to TRUST YOU. There was not WMD so stop your shame statements just because you <3 Bush.

I disagree with you scott. Sadam admited he did not have wepons. I've got Miltary family I've talked to about this issue over and over. My cousin said when he was over ther ethe closet thing he seen were Ground to Air Missles.

I'm sick of your Bush lovin TRUST ME statesments. The wepons were not there. If they were we would have said something just to make the war loook legit and increase support for the war.

What reason in the world should we have to TRUST YOU. There was not WMD so stop your shame statements just because you <3 Bush.

Easy....

Remember the public knows very little. My unlce as well is very high ranking officer, and he told me at dinner. It was now or never to take Iraq over, he said verbatem *there is some serious weapons over there*. I dont mine the war, the only thing you have to realize is that nothing comes with out sacrifice.

Saw them with my eyes, I was there. An Al-Hussein/Scud can be packed with whatever you want it to be. A task force of SF did find nerve agents/components to make VX and mustard gas. Reguardless of if he did or didn't we had to take care of him. A civilian's opinion on the matter really holds no weight to me, unless you've been in yourself.

I stopped reading when I saw "Ken Blackwell". That man maintains no respect, he's quite frankly a lying cunt bastard. Even Republicans dont like him. He's about as black as I am.

i am for states rights and liberty, and against big government.

You didn't vote that way in 2004. :p

Since all was above me, I couldn't tell you why CNN doesn't know this. There are some secrets people just don't need to know. Just because one pays taxes, doesn't mean that gives them the right to know anything. Operational security keeps people alive.

loose lips sink ships.