Hocking Hills / Tar Hollow / BFE

thorne

HAHAHA I just got back from the rally run. At one point we had to all stop and wipe off our headlights because we had zero vis. I will post up the shots we took later but I had a blast.

The course definally required some skill. I will say I only got scared one time and only for a brief second. I was coming over a hill into a sharp right descending. There was this odd compound of ICY MUD that is some nasty ass shit to drive on. I slid a little bit but was able to power threw.

There were 5 cars. Not a single bump/wreck/ditch. Everything went well.

Hocking Hills is not nearly as bad as I was told it was and warned by a few members on here. Tarmac = easy. Tar hollow on the other hand. a good part of the course was gravel/dirt/ice/sand. With a fall down a very large hill on one side. I had a hullva time.

We kept a good pace and adjusting according to conditions. This course was definally not for everyone, Got pretty wicked at some points but 1 mistake and well. Were calling life flight for you and your car is stuck in a tree.

One of the legs we did was from a old WRC Rally Crystal something i believe.

I took my wife today she was nervous at first but once she relized it was under control she had a good time.A bit jared around but a good time.If someone wants a ride some time let me know. God forbid something happen but there is always the posiblity so be aware of that warning.

I <3 Rally.

I <3 Subaru.

Drag racing is still fun but god damn this kind of driving is awesome as shit.

so are you going to bring the car out and autocross it this year?

I'm planning on it. But i prefer this Dirt shit honestly. You'll see me out. Not competitive just for fun. My car is so out of class hahaha.

I just got some rims for summer tires. I just need to get some more bushings and stuff.

I'm planning on it. But i prefer this Dirt shit honestly. You'll see me out. Not competitive just for fun. My car is so out of class hahaha.

I just got some rims for summer tires. I just need to get some more bushings and stuff.

Can you give me more direction as to where this place is? I'd like to drive through it once it gets nice out.

+1 on rally. I wish I had a car adequate for it because it's one of the most appealing motorsports to me.

unless your AWD the parts we were at your money is not going to be able to take it. I will see if i can pm you some GPS Cords for a couple of the spots. There are tarmac sections your car would do fine on though.

I go threw with a experianced person because he sets the pace thats brisk yet still consertive. The tar hollow stuff is pretty much off limits to anything not awd/4wd and not low to the ground.

I'm getting diff guards as I bottomed my diff out 1 time today.

The Sun Riser Rally ran down there for a number of years.

I have VHS tapes of the Sunriser events my dad ran. I even have a Sunriser bag that, put up for sale on the right SCCA forums, I could probably make a lot of money from lol

(I will never sell that, btw)

During the nicer months, I've made plenty of day long trips down there. I've found some out of the way roads that put the common HH roads most people use to shame. Including some fun dirt roads, that yes, I took the Supra down. Not anything too crazy, though. Sounds like it was a blast.

If someone wants a ride some time let me know. God forbid something happen but there is always the posiblity so be aware of that warning.

I <3 Rally.

I <3 Subaru.

Drag racing is still fun but god damn this kind of driving is awesome as shit.

Bill i will seriously take you up on this offer, whenever you are ready to go down again let me know

J.R.

If you could pm me a tar hollow route its possible I know of at least 1 road that your AWD's would enjoy. My 4x4 has no trouble on it at all idling in 2wd, but its got 38" boggers aired down to 15 psi and a spool. We use it as the weenie trail (read that shinny new expensive 4x4's that don't want damaged) on our novice trail rides. BTW our novice ride is coming up in a couple months.

Evan

I was one of the five cars on this ride. I use my WRX for dirt and I knew this would be a muddy run. We have some routes that are 90% tarmac, those I take the STI out on. :D

The person organizing these rides is keeping the number of cars down because every now and then we need to turn around, and getting a larger convoy around would be nigh impossible. The time before last we found 3 roads that were on Federal maps but were closed/non-existant/impassible.

The roads were great, a lot of forestry roads with some fun tarmac here and there. Unfortunately, a lot of the good stuff was inches deep in snow/slush, so we couldn't go as fast as we'd have liked. And my tired are CRAP on tarmac so I couldn't push as hard as the others either. Though I did get all four off the ground at one part. ;)

There are definately sections that I have trouble seeing anything short of 4WD/AWD making it through. Usually iced or loose gravel up a steep incline. One run had a section of road that was washed out with 1'-1.5' deep streams. It felt like we were rock crawling for some of it. ;) But there are also a ton of roads that a 2WD car could handle.

I often have trouble getting my 'navigator' to clear up his schedule for these rides because of the short notice (usually only a couple days). So I'd have no trouble with a ride-along if someone would want to come. The person who organizes these rides wants to keep things on the DL and the car count to 5 or less, so while passengers are OK, additional cars are out. Sorry.

Here's the "Epic Run" we did the other day. Out route changes every time so it may not be accurate in the future.

Thorne: mark March 1st on your calendar. It's the next RallyX. You better be there!