Little known, but good....movie recommendations

baron_

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How Obscure do you want to get?

"C'est arrivé près de chez vous" (Man Bites Dog): a mockumentary about a French serial killer. (Film is in french)

"Pan's Labyrinth": A film from Spain which was marketed as a fantasy/Narnia type movie which it definitely is not. (Film is in Spanish)

"Happiness": American Beauty type movie which is far more disturbing and raw.

"Cashback": One of my favorites. UK artsy film about beauty and aesthetic... It is a total panty dropper if you watch it with a girl or memorize some of the lines.

"Thumbsucker": An indie about thumbsucking and rittilin

"Pi": This movie will fuck you up.

Honorable mention:

The Usual Suspects

Lucky Number Slevin

Murderball

Why We Fight

Spellbound

Jesus Camp

A Clockwork Orange

Reservoir Dogs

Fight Club

That should last you through the winter.

Damn, I was going to suggest the Warriors, Equilibrium, Into the Wild

Anything remotely having to do with Hunter S. Thompson is good.

SLC Punk, 1991: The Year Punk Broke, Last Days, Downfall (really good movie about Hitler's Bunker), er, can't think of any others I've seen.

A few people mentioned "Into The Wild"

*SPOILER ALERT - DON'T READ*

I watched last week and starting reading up on the details of what happened and found it disturbing that Chris was only 6 miles from a bridge that could have taken him back across the stream he had crossed earlier in the year. Also, that he was only 20 miles from an actual freeway that could have taken him back into town. But probably the most odd part is that he was found in August, summer in Alaska where many residents say he could have made it without much effort.

Just bought the book and am anxious to start reading it to see how close the movie came.

A few people mentioned "Into The Wild"

*SPOILER ALERT - DON'T READ*

Just bought the book and am anxious to start reading it to see how close the movie came.

Read the book it will make much more sense. I read it in high school, it wasnt so much that he could've made it out I think it was more ofthe fact that he gave up wanting to. Its a good read.

If you can get into Anime I really like "Appleseed".

I'm trying to find this new one called "Vexille" that came out in Japan last year, I stumbled on the soundtrack which was put together by Paul Oakenfold and is badass!! Movie looks pretty good.

"Fist of Legend" was an early Jet Li movie and badass.

"Sunshine" is a newer movie and was really good but I don't think it was very popular.

I watched last week and starting reading up on the details of what happened and found it disturbing that Chris was only 6 miles from a bridge that could have taken him back across the stream he had crossed earlier in the year. Also, that he was only 20 miles from an actual freeway that could have taken him back into town. But probably the most odd part is that he was found in August, summer in Alaska where many residents say he could have made it without much effort.

I heard that too. But supposedly it was because of starvation, and he had been surviving on roots. BTW, the soundtrack is great, all Eddie Vedder, and I'm not a Pearl Jam or a fan of him.

Oh, there's a movie I've wanted to see for a while called "The Band's Visit", and Israeli movie about an Egyptian brass band. Looks really good from the trailer.

Gone in 60 Seconds (1974)

The Spy Who Came In From the Cold (loved the book as well)

Runaway Jury

If you can get into Anime I really like "Appleseed".

Well, if we are talking about anime...

The CG Appleseed remake was pretty good.

Akira is a classic, as well as Ghost in the Shell.

And there is Intial D Third Stage, which is a great movie.

Non Anime:

The World's Fastest Indian

Kung Fu Hustle

Hardboiled

UHF

Tank Girl

Ronin

The Replacement Killers

Renaissance: Paris 2054

Anime:

Initial D (First and Second stage are cheap at Best Buy.)

Samurai 7 (also short money at BBY for the whole series.)

Riding Bean (if you can find it.)

^Not familiar with it, cliffs and would blockbuster have it for rent??

Pat, I think most people(at least car people my age and younger) have heard of Initial D!! Also, season 4 of it owns the rest, the CGI it 10 times better.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138704/

^Not familiar with it, cliffs and would blockbuster have it for rent??

Pat, I think most people(at least car people my age and younger) have heard of Initial D!! Also, season 4 of it owns the rest, the CGI it 10 times better.

Fourth Stage was definitely the best, but when some people hear Initial D, all they can think about is that stupid Chinese movie that has little to nothing to do with the actual plot.

Oh and if you liked Fourth Stage, check out Wangan Midnight. The same studio that did the new style of CGI in Fourth Stage did the CGI for Wangan Midnight.

Its kind of like Initial D, except its about roll racing....kind of.