Conspiracy theorists' check in...

HotCarl

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/space/02/20/satellite.shootdown/index.html

Ive been reading about this since it was posted on CNN.com and it seems very interesting. But doesnt anyone else think its odd that the governement would be so willing to destroy a multi-billion dollar satellite simply because it MIGHT fall over a populated area and it MIGHT spread its liquid propelent gas over an area roughly the size of two football fields?

Earth is, what maybe 80% water and 20% land mass. Of that 20% something crazy like 2% is populated. Take this into account and 2 football fields isnt so bad. Now if there were a nuclear reactor on that satellite, then yeah I can see a problem with that. So really... what are the chances? There's something in/on that satellite that they dont want anyone to know about or they cant fully garantee what ever confidential information contained in that satellite can be contained before someone else gets their hands on it.

So... what if we miss?

Ive been reading about this since it was posted on CNN.com and it seems very interesting. But doesnt anyone else think its odd that the governement would be so willing to destroy a multi-billion dollar satellite simply because it MIGHT fall over a populated area and it MIGHT spread its liquid propelent gas over an area roughly the size of two football fields?

Earth is, what maybe 80% water and 20% land mass. Of that 20% something crazy like 2% is populated. Take this into account and 2 football fields isnt so bad. Now if there were a nuclear reactor on that satellite, then yeah I can see a problem with that. So really... what are the chances? There's something in/on that satellite that they dont want anyone to know about or they cant fully garantee what ever confidential information contained in that satellite can be contained before someone else gets their hands on it.

So... what if we miss?

I doubt a nuclear reactor, it would be way to heavy to get into space. Nuclear war heads are completely possible. I am sure there is more to this story than we will ever know.

I doubt a nuclear reactor, it would be way to heavy to get into space.

Really? It's been done.

This is a pissing contest, plain and simple. If there is a hunk of solid enough material in there to survive planetfall, then our missle isn't going to break it up.

This is just a response to China's test, it just took us a lil while to make an excuse to shoot down a satilite. If there were warheads, they would be able to destroy them in space (yes without causing a reaction).

I hope they tag it at night, it would be neat to watch.

hydrazine is some nasty shit, I wouldn't want it anywhere near me or anyone else, not to mention 1,000lbs of it. This is a test of our systems in the real world, something we don't get to do often. If we miss it will look VERY bad, but they said they will consider a second shot if we do miss.

The funny part is the system in infrared based and the satellite is pretty cold.

hydrazine is some nasty shit, I wouldn't want it anywhere near me or anyone else, not to mention 1,000lbs of it. This is a test of our systems in the real world, something we don't get to do often. If we miss it will look VERY bad, but they said they will consider a second shot if we do miss.

The funny part is the system in infrared based and the satellite is pretty cold.

No, the funny part is humans spent a crap load of money to build and put a satellite in orbit that is now in danger of harming humans so we have to spend more money to try to destroy it. Eventually the entire human race will win the ultimate Darwin Award. Natural selection is inevitible. :)

I could think of better target with a 60million dollar missle launch project

I would like to be confident that our missile defense system functions correctly, testing it when its needed and having a failure would be bad. I would rather them work the bugs out now.

So really... what are the chances? There's something in/on that satellite that they dont want anyone to know about or they cant fully garantee what ever confidential information contained in that satellite can be contained before someone else gets their hands on it.

Given that it's such a new satellite I'm sure there is sensitive technology we don't want Russia or China getting a peek at... I don't think anyone would deny that.

This is a test of our systems in the real world.

Real world as in, targeting a satellite which we are tracking directly because its sending a beacon signal to us? :)

When we're going after Chinese Missle satelites in WWIII, I doubt they'll be transmitting "NIHAO, OVA HEYAH!" to our computers. :)

Really? It's been done.

This is a pissing contest, plain and simple. If there is a hunk of solid enough material in there to survive planetfall, then our missle isn't going to break it up.

This is just a response to China's test, it just took us a lil while to make an excuse to shoot down a satilite. If there were warheads, they would be able to destroy them in space (yes without causing a reaction).

They were sure to try to discredit that assumption in their intereview with CNN saying that they had air to air missle (aka, air to satellite at 80,000ft) capability and made an example of this in 1989 with the distruction of another satellite from a jet using an A+A missile.

So, here's another conspiracy theory. Maybe instead of this satellite having some sort of secret government information on it, maybe its the opposite. Maybe its just an empty, big tin can floating in the sky as target practice? Oh and Ric, Im almost there are nuclear powered satellites.

I could honestly care less about what the true meaning behind all of this is. What scares me more is the fact that the media seem's to be accepting everything their spoon fed. What ever happened to people questioning if it was a spy satellite? yeah that story dissappeared.

I wouldn't believe anything the Gov't and press talk about, especially when presented as openly as this, as fact. There's always another story hiding there somewhere.

IMO, the talk about hydrazine thing could be true....

This is likely a test of our military systems as well....

It's also likely protecting some confidential data/technolgies.....

This will definitely be sending a message as to our capabilities and perhaps our intentions towards someone.....

Again, all of the above are likely true to some extent. However, if it's pretty open and provided to us as a public....I am not sure it's likely to be the entire reality of the sitution.

We are all on a need to know basis and what we do end up knowing is often fed to us by those that don't want us to actually know anything.

....maybe its the opposite. Maybe its just an empty, big tin can floating in the sky....

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude that's a good one! The Gubmint pulls asside a billion dollars for the Uber Satellite, tells us they built it when IN FACT it just an empty can. They pocketed the unused cash!

Many satellites have been nuclear powered. All the voyagers were and that is one area of nuclear treaties which the US decided to violate again in the recent past. To my knowledge they didn't have a reactor, but instead a nuclear battery. Its likely a uranium type battery, but they could be using krypton due to it being much less toxic. The batteries have a half life of 30,000 years so they are very good for use in long range space missions. Voyager and pioneer satellites are still sending back data regularly.

Evan