diesel's

Sturg1647545502

How much are you willing to spend ? I like the new Duramax .

im really not in the market yet (ive got a 2000 camry that is doing great with 130 on the clock). But inevitably ill need a new car/truck and diesels are appealing.

the run forever, can repair easily(pull an entire cylinder out and rebuild it), good mileage and can be fun with a turbo.

Diesel truck. 20+ MPG with aftermarket goodies, can tow everything you want, good all year around, can be faster than most cars, and you can fit people in it comfortable. Re-sale value is insane on diesels aswell, you won't lose your ass in depriciation. Picking up an older cummins (aka Dodge 2500/3500) would be a good choice, and won't really break the wallet. Not to mention, it's common to see over 300K miles on them without need of a glow plug change. What's the budget you're working with?

im really not in the market yet (ive got a 2000 camry that is doing great with 130 on the clock). But inevitably ill need a new car/truck and diesels are appealing.

the run forever, can repair easily(pull an entire cylinder out and rebuild it), good mileage and can be fun with a turbo.

I posted this in the "regret selling your car thread" but its worth reiterating. I had an '84 VW Rabbit Diesel. Car looked like the biggest POS but damn it got great mileage and was a great beater. I kinda miss that piece. I agree if your looking at any diesel car look into a VW. If your looking into a truck your options open up but I dont know of any small trucks sold with diesel's. They did produce the Jeep Libery with a diesel for a while but not sure if they still do.

I have thought about getting a diesel in the future for my daily driver, but I don't feel I would get the full potental out of it. My drive to work is only 11 miles one way. I have thought off and on about the Jeep Liberty diesel's, but I have heard those normally don't last long on the dealership lots.

so i just spent the last 30 min talking to a good buddy of mine who works at buyers

from what he says the diesel engine in the Vw is titts but the car will fall apart around the engine. between it eating wheel bearings and breaks, the tranny going out..it has potential for being a headache.

he reinforced the pro diesel idea

regular compression ratios of 1 :15 plus 30lbs of boost. one hell of an engine

regularly seeing 400-500k mi engines

power gains/fuel economy with simple mods like freeing up intake, opening up the

exhaust and ECU mods

cons

injection pump problems. if it does goes you are looking at atlest a 3000 pricetag to repair.

for the most part, according to him, vws are crap.(engines good)

the jeep liberty 4cys diesel are terrible. they stoped making them and upgraded toa 6cyl which is amazing. has more hp than the hemi.

winter time youve got to keep it plugged in, or else running th risk of frozen fuel lines, and in theory spliting things open

he really likes the diesel trucks with emphasis on the powerstroke.

dodge trucks are junk, the engine is good but the transmissions are shit. and the front ends wear out like crazy tie rod ends and ball joints. straight axle, has u-joints that wear out offten too.

powerjokes only seem to have the front end issuse as well ball joints and tie rod ends. auto transmissions are kinda junk on the older ones.

duramax is what i had. i loved that thing. drive one for yourself and you'll agree. no issues with the 2004.5+ (LLY and i forget the new one)trucks but the 01-04.5 (LB7) had some injector issues. if GM already replaced them under warranty then your good to go.

i don't know who told you about pulling a cylinder out to rebuild it but they were on crack. they are not that fun to work on.

cons

injection pump problems. if it does goes you are looking at atlest a 3000 pricetag to repair.

I can only speak for Cummins pumps but the new fuel systems (High Pressure Common Rail) HPCR are much better. The old mechanical injection pumps were complicated, hence expensive. They controlled fueling, timing, and just about everything else. HPCR simply pounds out pressure and the injectors are electronically controlled.

If you want a car, I would tell you to wait for the Accord Diesel due to come out any time now.

i dont no shit about any of toyota's newer diesels, i had an 89 pickup with the 22r in it and my dad recently diesel swapped it and it runs damned good...he's put almost 50k on it since the swap with out any hickups and averages between 50-56 mpg depending on what he's using it for....great old diesels for the money

I can only speak for Cummins pumps but the new fuel systems (High Pressure Common Rail) HPCR are much better. The old mechanical injection pumps were complicated, hence expensive. They controlled fueling, timing, and just about everything else. HPCR simply pounds out pressure and the injectors are electronically controlled.

If you want a car, I would tell you to wait for the Accord Diesel due to come out any time now.

idk what your talking about the the comman rail pump costs more than the old mechanical ones do.

Diesel truck. 20+ MPG with aftermarket goodies, can tow everything you want, good all year around, can be faster than most cars, and you can fit people in it comfortable. Re-sale value is insane on diesels aswell, you won't lose your ass in depriciation. Picking up an older cummins (aka Dodge 2500/3500) would be a good choice, and won't really break the wallet. Not to mention, it's common to see over 300K miles on them without need of a glow plug change. What's the budget you're working with?

Cummins don't have glow plugs, so you can as many miles on it as you want and dont have to worry about that. I have 202,000 miles on my truck now with my third injection pump. I think I might have got a good one this time. I hope at $1,600 a pop.

Tranny's on my gen. truck suck stock but if your not modding it and new valve body and converter will help bunches. Injection pumps are junk. Never had any problems with front end issues.

The CP3 pumps do not cost any more than the problematic VP44 pumps do. The P7100 and VE mechanical pumps are virtually foolproof.

idk the part numbs but the common rail pump costs around 1250 while the older trucks are around 1000. this is what columbus diesel supply told me