NHL Trading Day

HotCarl

• 3 weeks later...

It will be any exciting off season for sure! We've got $$ to burn.

The boys aren't out of the play-off race until the fat lady sings. Yeah, it's a pretty slim chance, but who knows? After so many years of empty promises from the Ego One (Doug MacLean), it's great to see how well the boys are doing this season.

Keep the faith!

• Confused 1

I will believe it when I see it. My guess is we pick up a weak center and a couple 2nd line defensemen. Dont get me wrong the bluejackets will call them first liners but those of who know will see what they are doing. All in all look for about 12million spent.

The biggest problem with the Jackets spending money, from what I see, is two fold:

1. There just aren't any top centers out there that will be available as UFA's. Daymond Langkow and Brendan Morrison are the only two I'd even consider going after, and they aren't true #1 centers. They'd play #1 center for the Jackets, only because they don't have one, but they are better suited to being on a #2 line. So until Derik Brassard is ready for that #1, they'd have to do with one of them.

2. Convincing a free agent to come here will also be a challenge. Outside of one of those centers, the Jackets should also pursue a #1 puck moving defenseman, such as Brian Campbell or Wade Redden. But can you convince one of those guys to come to Columbus? Perhaps, but that might be only because they'd offer them more money because the Jackets now have that money to spend.

I had called the Brad Richards trade almost a year before it happened. I knew he was gonna be moved and I named the Jackets as possible suitors. Maybe I'm close on this one as well, but I think the Jackets will make a play for either Patrick Marleau or Olli Jokinen as their new, #1 center. Poaching someone's RFA is also a possibility, like P.M. Bouchard of the Wild. I'd also like to see the Jackets make a move for a steady, stay at home guy like Jason Smith or Marek Malik. We'll see how close I come to these predictions... :)