MazdaSpeed6

JaSSon

They are direct injection. I have a friend that has one. It's a nice car and has a good balance of handling/comfort/power. They have a very "touchy" clutch that makes them a bit hard to drive at first and because of the 18" wheels your winter tire choices are limited (almost required because they come with summer only tires).

I thought about buying one for a while, but the one that my friend owns tends to eat up front tires even though the alignment is fine and it has been to the dealer to check out twice for this same issue. That and the fact that I didn't notice much by way of aftermarket stuff made me shy away from them.

There's a fair amount you can do to boost the power on those. There are quite a few on teh Mazda Forum that are putting down decent power. It also helps that the MS3 shares the engine. There are turbo upgrades out there for them and it seems that they have some piggyback tuning (and possibly one company with re-flash capability).

the subaru legacy GT is a far better car.

Any reasons why you think so?

There are a lot of people and magazines that would disagree with you. The Mazda 6 is one of the best handling sedans on the market. It continuously gets praised in the mags for its ride and handling, comfort, NVH, etc. You add the AWD and DI turbo 2.3L and it's even better.

I was not impressed with the Legacy GT I drove. Then again, I hated the salesman and he didn't even bother to pull trash out of the interior or clean the bird shit off the widshield when he gave me the keys. I thought there was a lot of turbo lag and the transmission was slow to react (auto tranny...it was going to be a car for my mom). The ride wasn't as nice as I expected and there was more road noise than I would have liked (possibly the tire choice). Maybe I would have been more impressed with the manual.

There are a lot of people and magazines that would disagree with you. The Mazda 6 is one of the best handling sedans on the market. It continuously gets praised in the mags for its ride and handling, comfort, NVH, etc. You add the AWD and DI turbo 2.3L and it's even better.

I was not impressed with the Legacy GT I drove. Then again, I hated the salesman and he didn't even bother to pull trash out of the interior or clean the bird shit off the widshield when he gave me the keys. I thought there was a lot of turbo lag and the transmission was slow to react (auto tranny...it was going to be a car for my mom). The ride wasn't as nice as I expected and there was more road noise than I would have liked (possibly the tire choice). Maybe I would have been more impressed with the manual.

He's just saying that because I have a Mazda 6 and he says they're old people cars :rolleyes: Just ignore him...

Jason if you are considering a ms6 you may want to look at the Legecy GT. It's in the same class of car plus it has a better aftermarket support.

When I test drove one at Sawmill the dealer told me most people end up going next door and buying the Legacy GT.

I'd rock the new 6's coming out in a year or two. Total exterior restyling and they're coming with Ford's new 3.5 Duratec. They're also supposed to be a lot lighter.

I've heard from many people the AWD system on the 6 is not very responsive and weak when more power is sought. The legacy GT is an STI underneath and if you went with the 6-speed version I would imagine its a great car. I've never drive either, nor do I care to drive either. I was just saying that from reading about both I felt the legacy GT to be more stout. Ride quality and comfort are not what I was refering too, seemed to me like he was looking at it at a performance related topic.

My rich ass powell friend lets me regularly launch his at 6000plus rpm slipping the clutch launching like a fucking bullit. I may try to make a video sometime. I dont have any numbers but he has a intake and im gonna say 13.80s The funky clutch i believe is to prevent you from dumping it. Ive powershifted it atleast 20 times and it has taken it flawlessy. Cobb tuning is working on a accessport as we speak, also check out corksport. They have turbobacks for it.

The Mazdaspeed 6 does not handle as well as either the B7 A4, Legacy GT, BMW 3 x etc. It is in the lower rung of AWD sedans handling wise. The weight of the AWD adds alot to the already heavy front end.

With that said, I have driven 4 of them, and like it. Yeah it pushed a little, but had good power, which absolutely died after about 5k rpms like the speed3. A few negatives, the hood is a little bogus, the rear exhaust tips are finishers that dont connect to the exhaust-ugly, tires are 215 on a heavy AWD car-not good, and the interior materials are not up to subaru/VW standards. Just my opinions, you should drive one, I like them overall.

20k will get you a 5k mile 2007. Horrible initial depreciation. great for used car market.

Jason if you are considering a ms6 you may want to look at the Legecy GT. It's in the same class of car plus it has a better aftermarket support.

Oddly enough that's where my search led me. A 2005 LGT non-limited (or a 2006-07 limited at the right price) has been at the top of my list for many months. The problem is finding one that's low-miles, manual and clean that's not priced outrageously - or for that matter finding one anywhere near Ohio at all... It seems few owners are parting with them, which seems like a good sign at least. Buying a house recently has put a temporary damper on the car buying bug, so I'm probably going to have to wait a few more months.

I have also been swayed toward the Audi S4, which "feels" a little more solid to me and I like the cool factor of twin turbos... but I'm not liking the idea of a car with a double-firewall and so much added complexity that you have to pull the nose of the car off to do damn near anything. Also, they still push my budget a little as compared to the LGT which is also a few years newer.

I would stay away from the B5 S4 if you don't have a healthy maint budget. They tend to be an expensive car to DD. They have frequent oil leaks, trans sincro issues, and of course the turbos are always a potential 3-5k problem. Its hard to find one under 75k miles, and when you do, they pull a premium.

I would stick with the LGT, seeing as they are at least 3 years newer, and are as fast if not faster stock. I dont know much about their reliability engine wise, but as you stated, they have good resale value, and are hard to find.

The legacy GT is an STI underneath
Um, No.

and if you went with the 6-speed version
No:

Automatic 5-speed with SPORTSHIFT and VDC ($1,500)

Manual 5-speed (Standard)

I've never drive either, nor do I care to drive either.
Apparently you don't read well either or know anything about either car.