Holy shit, how can people do this stuff?

excell

My two cents; Cliffs at bottom:

If there was ever someone who deserved capital punishment (i.e., the death penalty), then it's this guy.

Some have commented/implied that this guy faces a serious risk of being assaulted (physically, sexually) by fellow inmates in prison. That is likely true. I completed my doctoral internship at a federal prison, so for an entire year I got to see how these things work. The inmates pay close attention to the media - watching TV, reading the newspapers - to see who is getting convicted of what. So, if you're this guy - a very high profile case involving the brutal murder and sexual assault of a girl - then by the time you get processed and enter the prison everyone knows your story, everyone knows your coming, and there are inmates getting in the proverbial line to administer to you their own form of punishment. Those who sexually offend against children are the most reviled amongst criminals. So, I'd imagine that there's no less than two dozen guys waiting at whatever prison he ends up at to sexually brutalize, torture, and even kill him. If he's released into anything similar to a general population atmosphere, then he'll likely die (or wish he was dead) before they even get to his first appeal. Remember, in prisons like the on he'll go to there are plenty of guys that aren't getting out, ever. Guys that have been convicted of murder and are serving life for no chance of parole. What's it then to those guys to kill one more person, say, some despicable inmate that deserves to die? Nothing, really - I mean, what are they going to do, sentence the lifer that offs him to another life sentence? LOL. Yeah, so, this guy will get it one way or another, I'd put a good sum of money on it.

Cliffs: He deserves to die and will be put to death, either at the hands of the government or at the hands of vengeful inmates.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Exactly. I worked with a guy that spent 11 years in prison and he told me about many things that happen inside those walls. A lot of those guys in prison have kids themsleves and this is one of those situations that is not tolerated by them. He will likely go driectly into PC but I was told even that is no gaurantee of safety for the guy.

Tilly, if you were called to court as a psych expert would you be able to defend the 'Lexapro cliam' that they are insinuating? Can you redirect to any studies of the effects of Lexapro? I'd be interested to see.

Thanks,

Jenn (aka PonyPimpstress)

Would I let he man off because of that no. But it can trigger mania.

Mania is a severe medical condition characterized by extremely elevated mood, energy, and unusual thought patterns. There are several possible causes for mania, but it is most often associated with bipolar disorder, where episodes of mania may cyclically alternate with episodes of clinical depression. These cycles may relate to diurnal rhythms and environmental stressors. Mania varies in intensity, from mild mania (known as hypomania) to full-blown mania with psychotic features (hallucinations and delusions).

Manic patients may need to be hospitalized to protect themselves and others. Mania and hypomania have also been associated with creativity and artistic

Tilly, if you were called to court as a psych expert would you be able to defend the 'Lexapro cliam' that they are insinuating? Can you redirect to any studies of the effects of Lexapro? I'd be interested to see.

Thanks,

Jenn (aka PonyPimpstress)

Here are my thoughts; again, Cliffs are provided at the end.

No, I would not be able to defend that claim, as it is my opinion that there is presently insufficent evidence to support such a claim. Of course, there are plenty of studies that demonstrate an increase in particular symptomatology in association with the initiation of a psychotropic agent. For instance, there is an increased likelihood of seizure in those initiating Wellbutrin, an antidepressant medication. That increased likelihood, while statistically significant, is still clinically unlikely (i.e., while, statistically, you are much more likely to have a seizure when on Wellbutrin than when not on it, even when you are on Wellbutrin it's still highly unlikely that you'll have a seizure).

The issue implied here is whether or not the Lexapro had some causal effect in him doing what he did - predatorily murdering, sexually assaulting, and cannibalizing a girl. Regardless of whether or not Lexapro is associated with an increased risk of experiencing sexually explicit, violent fantasies, I can assert with confidence that there is absolutely no evidence to date to definitively support the notion that Lexapro causes irresistible urges to engage in sadistic, sexually assaultive, cannibalistic behaviors. If there were, then I would almost guarantee that his legal team would have entered a plea of not guilty by reason of insanity (NGRI) or perhaps some defense related to diminished capacity (i.e., they would have said, "Jury people, yes, our guy did it, but he really didn't know what he was doing was wrong because he was on this drug - Lexapro - that makes you do crazy things"). Why didn't they do it? Case and point: there is no evidence to support such a claim.

What his legal team will now try to do is claim that the Lexapro constitutes a mitigating factor for the purposes of attempting to avoid the death penalty. In short, it works like this: if the defense can prove that there is a mitigating factor present, with a mitigating factor being anything that may have made it more likely for him to have done what he did (regardless of how seemingly insignificant that thing may be or how silly it may seem to you or I), then, by law, he cannot be sentenced to death. So, at this point, his legal team will bring in all manner of experts to testify about all different sorts of things - how he may have had a crappy childhood, how he was on such-and-such medication, how he thinks the color blue makes him look fat, and on and on ad nauseum - in a last ditch effort to convince the jury that he doesn't deserve to die. In my opinion, it won't much matter who they call or what they say: this jury will likely be swift in delivering a death penalty verdict.

Cliffs: The Lexapro claim isn't supported by the available evidence, but that won't stop his legal team from asserting it as a mitigating factor. In the end, though, it won't matter, as this guy looks to be on the fast track to the electric chair.

Would I let he man off because of that no. But it can trigger mania.

Mania is a severe medical condition characterized by extremely elevated mood, energy, and unusual thought patterns. There are several possible causes for mania, but it is most often associated with bipolar disorder, where episodes of mania may cyclically alternate with episodes of clinical depression. These cycles may relate to diurnal rhythms and environmental stressors. Mania varies in intensity, from mild mania (known as hypomania) to full-blown mania with psychotic features (hallucinations and delusions).

Manic patients may need to be hospitalized to protect themselves and others. Mania and hypomania have also been associated with creativity and artistic

Just so no one is mislead, Thorne is referring to something completely different. There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that this guy in this case was manic. And, even if he was, simply because he was wouldn't necessarily absolve him of responsibility for the criminal acts charged.

Just so no one is mislead, Thorne is referring to something completely different. There's absolutely no evidence to suggest that this guy in this case was manic. And, even if he was, simply because he was wouldn't necessarily absolve him of responsibility for the criminal acts charged.

I agree I was pointing out a example of what Lexapro can do.

I felt that it could have been a mitigating factor. Do I think he made him all out go nuts Nope. But there were undlering issues or else they would not have already been attempting to treat him.

I think he should goto jail personally just because his death will be 10x more painful.

Still after reading everything I feel this guy should be executed. No need for him to be in jail for life paid by the tax payers.

You don't mess with someone's kid. You just don't do it. There is no reason to rationalize this anymore.

Wow I don't even have to insult you, Your statements alone take care of most of it. Address my earlier statement about roofies. Ohh wait thats Valid argument, Lets call that thorne gibberish. It's so easy to take the quick out and insult my grammar. But I bet even with my lack of grammar I obviously have the higher adaptitiude here. Would you like to post your ASFAB Numbers. Because everyday you see IT guys going to the military, No you don't WHY? Because we make killer money in the private sector. Wait idiots can't do that.

Do me a favor don't respond to this because all your going to spew is your bull shit. I will read the earlier part of this thread and take that as your response.

If you want to address my previous argument regarding roofies go ahead.

For being so smart you would think that you could type and spell. I could care less how book smart you are, you're the type of retard that has no common sence. And you obviously made that clear when you had a beetle, but I'll do you a favor and keep you from crying. And personally, I could care less about how much money you make. I never joined the Army for money, and nobody does. Thanks again billy bad ass.

Here are my thoughts; again, Cliffs are provided at the end.

Cliffs: The Lexapro claim isn't supported by the available evidence, but that won't stop his legal team from asserting it as a mitigating factor. In the end, though, it won't matter, as this guy looks to be on the fast track to the electric chair.

Thanks for the response. I know what the defense team is trying to do, just wondered in your experience if you'd be able to support the claim. I personally don't think that the jury would buy the mitigating factor... I also think that any good defense team could come up with such a factor for each person that was ever prosecuted (stupid DSM IV-TR). Again, thanks for the opinion :)

~Jenn

p.s not that i'm defending anyone but Thorn ANY idiot can make money... they just have to be determined!

For being so smart you would think that you could type and spell. I could care less how book smart you are, you're the type of retard that has no common sence. And you obviously made that clear when you had a beetle, but I'll do you a favor and keep you from crying. And personally, I could care less about how much money you make. I never joined the Army for money, and nobody does. Thanks again billy bad ass.

Since this has no response thats valid please check your PM as I think this is a issue between me and you and not all of CR. I wrote a entire message out but decided to pm you instead.

Thanks for the response. I know what the defense team is trying to do, just wondered in your experience if you'd be able to support the claim. I personally don't think that the jury would buy the mitigating factor... I also think that any good defense team could come up with such a factor for each person that was ever prosecuted (stupid DSM IV-TR). Again, thanks for the opinion :)

~Jenn

Jenn, sorry, I didn't mean to come across as though you didn't understand the issues regarding mitigation; I wrote that stuff more for the others who may have read my response and aren't as informed about mitigating factors and so forth. :)

~Jenn

p.s not that i'm defending anyone but Thorn ANY idiot can make money... they just have to be determined!

determination is required for anything in life. It also requires some skill to be determined about, A person who sits on the bench and don't try is an idiot but someone who's out there grinding away at life I would not define as an idiot.

This thread is not a pissing contest about money honestly I was making a point regarding skillsets. If you notice scott did not post his asfab (I think thats the name). When I did mine I can tell you that I would be working in cryptography (In the rear with the gear).

I do respect scott for putting his life on the line to defend his country I just disagree very much so with his lack of understanding of Pyschotropic drugs. I never once said lexapro caused him to do this. I just felt it was a factor in the situation.

My whole argument was that the the Pysch system needs revamped. There is no doubt in my mind that this dude had major issues. Otherwise why in the hell would he do what he did. It's just a shame it could not have been caught and a child saved.

If the guy was on meds or not, he's a shame to society and does not deserve freedom. As tax payers, we should not have our money go to helping him live. He even said he felt terrible after he hit the poor little girl and yet he still went ahead with the tragedy.

determination is required for anything in life. It also requires some skill to be determined about, A person who sits on the bench and don't try is an idiot but someone who's out there grinding away at life I would not define as an idiot.

This thread is not a pissing contest about money honestly I was making a point regarding skillsets. If you notice scott did not post his asfab (I think thats the name). When I did mine I can tell you that I would be working in cryptography (In the rear with the gear).

I do respect scott for putting his life on the line to defend his country I just disagree very much so with his lack of understanding of Pyschotropic drugs. I never once said lexapro caused him to do this. I just felt it was a factor in the situation.

My whole argument was that the the Pysch system needs revamped. There is no doubt in my mind that this dude had major issues. Otherwise why in the hell would he do what he did. It's just a shame it could not have been caught and a child saved.

1st: Skill is not always involved with making money. I.E. Mr. Smith is homeless and is determined to buy him a meal (or a beer), he stands on the corner of Broad and High and begs for money till he gets said amount needed. That takes no skill what so ever (if he didn't know how to spell he could have someone else write the sign for him). Or Ms. Lee works at Mcdonalds and is sick of her minimum wage paycheck so she decides to try and save money to earn money. She saves the loose change from all of her purchases and decides to put invests in a CD once she has reached $1000. She will get return from that CD then decides a different on a investment (i.e. stock) and gets a return on that.... etc. That is determination, not skill because even when it comes to the stock trade to make (potentially 'mad money') she can go to a broker.

2nd: If you scored so well on a test and boast about said score, you might want to state the name (or acronym) correctly. It's the ASVAB: Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery.

3rd: If you are attacking Scott for his lack of 'understanding' in a subject, why not inform!?! Do you tend to listen to people who attack you about your grammar? (obviously not) You are not going to change anyones mind by attacking them personally or their beliefs. Just because you don't agree with something he says does not mean that he is wrong!

Look at Tilly's origional response to my question... "as it is my opinion that there is presently insufficent evidence to support such a claim. Of course, there are plenty of studies that demonstrate an increase in particular symptomatology in association with the initiation of a psychotropic agent." When it comes to drugs/medication that obviously chages the chemical make up of the body (ESPECIALLY the mind) it is extremly difficult and almost impossible to conduct a study on a population of induviduals who are of the exact same checmical make up and/or experienced the same situations. You can come pretty close, but not exact.

Cliffs: No skill is required to make money. Don't say you did well on a test that doesn't exist. Don't attack someone personally for a 'lack of understanding', simply inform and your day might go a bit easier.

Thanks,

Jenn