BMW 5 series vs Prius

Lustalbert

This was very interesting, but since deisel costs more I guess I would pick the prius. However you'll never see me in one of those, or the BMW for that matter. but that really says something for diesel powered cars and why europe seems so interested in them.

I would go for the BMW. According to the article they spent .45 euro more to drive the Prius. Classy car versus econo tin can and the tin can does worse on the drive.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Bgbdbn/2005_BMW_5Series_01.jpghttp://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Bgbdbn/prius2.jpg

I'd really like to see Diesel + Hybrid :burn:

http://www.osuchallengex.com/

The Ohio State team's architecture involves replacing the stock engine and transmission with a GM 1.9 liter turbodiesel and a 6-speed automatic transmission. Coupled to the engine is an integrated starter/alternator (a small electric motor at ~10kW); we have chosen to use the KollMorgan IMA. Furthermore, the rear axle is powered by a large 67kW electric drive made by Ballard found in the electric Ford Ranger. For battery power, we are using 1.3 packs from the Toyota Prius hybrid equaling a nominal voltage of 300 volts and about 6 Ahrs capacity.

but who buys an expensive luxury car and gives a shit about mpgs?

I would go for the BMW. According to the article they spent .45 euro more to drive the Prius. Classy car versus econo tin can and the tin can does worse on the drive.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Bgbdbn/2005_BMW_5Series_01.jpghttp://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/Bgbdbn/prius2.jpg

Luxury car buyers don't worry about mpg's. IMO those that spend more than 40k on a car and worry about mpg's prolly can't afford the car to begin with.

same with homes...if you buy a big house and worry about the heating bill then that's not likely your only worry. besides insulation is to comfort whereas mpgs is to cost of ownership.

Umm... everybody?

Who buys a house and gives a shit about insulation?

Luxury car buyers don't worry about mpg's. IMO those that spend more than 40k on a car and worry about mpg's prolly can't afford the car to begin with.

same with homes...if you buy a big house and worry about the heating bill then that's not likely your only worry. besides insulation is to comfort whereas mpgs is to cost of ownership.

I'm not saying the mpg is going to make or break the deal everytime. But imagine you are shopping around for a 5 series, mid class Benz, Cadillac CTS, or whatever else is in the same group, and a you look at this version of the 5 series and notice it gets 50mpg. Being worried about mpg or not, you can't just ignore that.

I think BMW would make a killing if they offered the 520d in the states... especially as a lease car.

Guest GMoney
People forget how bad the batteries in the hybrids are for the enviroment. The chemicals and energy to make them, then dispose of them when they are dead. Its way worse on the enviroment than anyone even knows.

I don't believe they would sell very well here. Likely less than VW Sales People who buy $50k cars buy luxury and performance. Now way a customer going into MAG is going to be happy with a 177hp 5 series. Do the math and difference per year in fuel costs is pretty low. A caddy CTS vs. a BMW at 50 mpg based on today's costs for gas and diesel which is about $.85 gal higher, is only a savings of $550 per year for a 15,000 mile per year driver.

Again, show me a BMW owner that will take a Turbo Diesel 177hp 5 Series over a CTS or like vehicle.....not going to be many. Hell $550 per year isn't much to even working stiffs driving a Civic. I do believe luxury car buyers here in the states would ignore that.

Besides, the study is way skewed given the two vehicles compared. The delta was like .9mpg and that's on mainly open road. Put that car in a suburb or London and forget it.

I'm not saying the mpg is going to make or break the deal everytime. But imagine you are shopping around for a 5 series, mid class Benz, Cadillac CTS, or whatever else is in the same group, and a you look at this version of the 5 series and notice it gets 50mpg. Being worried about mpg or not, you can't just ignore that.

I think BMW would make a killing if they offered the 520d in the states... especially as a lease car.

The failure rate on the Prius batteries is extremely, extremely low. I worked for Panasonic and the life of these batteries is expected to exceed the life of the car. it's a huge win for Panny. Given that the recyling programs around re-use nearly 100% of the battery components. It's not like folks are going to just be dumping a dead/wrecked prius without the toxic batteries being removed first.

There are even hacks on the various forums that show how to regenerate old ones. Production costs are not that high either. It's a series of battery's / old technology.

The new lithium batts are right around the corner. We had several test cars in NJ at HQ. Lots more life per charge and higher mpgs for sure once they hit real world. You don't hear much about Panny batteries, but honestly, they are major technology players in that world....they just don't market them well at all. Ask any Toughbook owner. I run my wife's PC for 7-9hrs at full brightness with movies playing with no issue.

People forget how bad the batteries in the hybrids are for the enviroment. The chemicals and energy to make them, then dispose of them when they are dead. Its way worse on the enviroment than anyone even knows.

Rather than get all steamed up yet again about people buying into the anti-hybrid bullshit being piled on by the entrenched gas-only automakers, I suggest you do a google search for "hybrid fud". Practically every single "Hybrids are bad" argument I've seen so far is refuted in an article on the first page. Quit being sheeple, and do your own research.

Edit: The delicious irony of this article being posted on Slate today is not lost on me.

what Honda really needs to do is come out with an improved version of the regular Civic that can get gas mpg comparable to the early to mid 90's 1.5l motor that was rated at 39/50mpg. Bet they'd sell well today. My neighbor had one and now wishes he never sold it. Heck I remember back in the mid 80's the HF model was rated at 40/48.

Rather than get all steamed up yet again about people buying into the anti-hybrid bullshit being piled on by the entrenched gas-only automakers, I suggest you do a google search for "hybrid fud". Practically every single "Hybrids are bad" argument I've seen so far is refuted in an article on the first page. Quit being sheeple, and do your own research.

Edit: The delicious irony of this article being posted on Slate today is not lost on me.