1999 Grand AM SE... Dead?

Tim1647545497

Ok, car has like 130k on it, oil changes pretty often, but has had a few streaks of driving with the oil light on. Other then that the car makes me love pontiac. Learned how to drive in this car. Ok, I need help on figuring out whats wrong. The car has had no engine, drivetrain problems what so ever. Driving down the road, 35mph, the car loses power. As in i was hitting the gas, with no effect. Like the car was off, but it was still on. No go power, i let off gas and hit again, there's power. Later on down the road, same problem, but the car stalls. After a second, it starts i drive it like 5 miles home. Sit the car in the driveway, tested like twice in the next few days to see if it was drivable ( drove around the block) But after the second time, it stalled, and wont start. What could be wrong? Oh yeah, while testing the car, when hitting the gas, it sputtered sometimes, gave me power sometimes and sometimes no power at all. I am hoping its something i can fix on my own. So i need help. I would appreciate some good advice, Thank you.

I'd like to add:

It's a Grand-Am. Fix it and sell it. You'll thank me later.

I could NOT disagree MORE!

Keep the Grand Am as a MF beater is for nothing else!

The Misses has an '02 w/ hardley ANY issues (bad key cylinder) and I have an 88 Grand Am Beater.

Fix it, keep it, beat the fuck out of it!

:D

KillJoy

Lol, ** true story. This car has been through the shit and back. My dad and Grandfather said they " checked " the fuel pump and its working. But if this whole time its been a BS filter, or pump for that matter im gonna be pissed. I thought it was gonna be 150-200 fix. And didnt see the need to fix right away with a truck and another car in the household. Correct me if im wrong and you know better then me, but isnt the fuel pump on these in the gas tank? So how can you check it without taking the gas tank off?

Guest 614Streets
Lol, ** true story. This car has been through the shit and back. My dad and Grandfather said they " checked " the fuel pump and its working. But if this whole time its been a BS filter, or pump for that matter im gonna be pissed. I thought it was gonna be 150-200 fix. And didnt see the need to fix right away with a truck and another car in the household. Correct me if im wrong and you know better then me, but isnt the fuel pump on these in the gas tank? So how can you check it without taking the gas tank off?

Tim it is checked with a fuel pressure gauge :)

On my car, you can get the fuel pump out of the tank by removing the back seat; there's an access hatch there, so you don't have to drop the tank.

Don't know if yours has that "feature" or not, but might be worth checking...

• 2 weeks later...
Ok, well now that i have what i think to be a good diagnosis on the car. Is there anyone one here with some free time, that wouldnt mind helping/showing me how to replace a fuel filter/pump. I learn quick and i would appreciate some knowledge being dropped on me.