My loan came through

ODoyle

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Answer these questions.

What will be your 2 main sources of fun...

Dig, roll, autocross?

How much power do you want to make?

How fast would you like to go in a quarter?

How much money do you plan on putting into it?

Are you going to do your own installs?

Are looks: less, more, or equally important to power output?

I want to dig and roll race

I would like to make 400hp

Maybe some low 12s in the quarter my lancer did 17's

I will put money in it when i have it but it still need to be reliable

I like the looks of the TA,TBSS,corvette,Cobra everything but prolly equally

Evo 9. Doesn't take much to get them into the 12's, tons of aftermarket to do any type of racing you want(and get to listen to people wanting to sissy(roll) race you, awd so it's fun no matter what the weather and has a back seat to drag along friends and make them pay for the gas.

I'd go 03/04 Cobra, C5, or GTO. However, I'd use the Civic for rainy days as well. My Cobra doesn't see rain or snow. V8 + RWD = sucky for rain/snow. :(

If you're looking for a non-modded Cobra, good luck. I bought mine two years ago with 11K miles on it and nothing but a CAI. Two years later it's got 16K miles, and only a cat-back exhaust, shifter, and the CAI. I could have it back to stock in a matter of hours and sell it for just as much as I paid for it, if not more. The value of Cobras, especially lightly modded (read "non-pullied"), is holding fast. They are tough to find in this kind of shape.

But I love my Cobra. I like it better than my 2000 Formula it replaced. Great bang for the buck, kind of a sleeper (looks like every other Mustang on the road, I actually like that), and really, there aren't too many 03/04's on the road. I can't remember the last time I saw one other than the one under a cover in my garage. :)

GTO: Also a sleeper, great interior, LSX engine. Most people really like the 05/06, with the LS2, updated hood and exhaust, but if you don't mind the 04 LS1 version, they can be had really cheap.

C5: Looks great, turns heads, LSX engine, just a great car. The reason I never got one is that I wanted a back seat and I didn't want the cops staring at me. ;)

Posting here to largely echo what Sam and Sean just said. I've had both an 03 Cobra and a C5 Z06 - you really can't go wrong with either one.

Some other, related things to keep in mind:

The 03/04 Cobra weighs a bunch more than the C5 Z06 - like in the area of 600lbs more. Roughly translated, that's 60hp you are giving up in just weight alone.

It's exceptionally cheap to make an 03/04 a fairly fast car - catback, CAI, pulley, and tune and you're putting down 450rwhp. Add just a small dry shot to that an you're putting down in the area of 550rwhp. That's bang for the buck.

Shit for Corvette's is expensive - look at it as the "Corvette luxury tax." As Sam said, putting spray on a C5 Z06 will have you kicking ass in no time, but any mods beyond that start to get pricey, and not to mention time consuming.

IMO, the C5 Z06 is much more drivable than an 03/04 Cobra. Not that the 03/04 isn't drivable, it's just that, again IMO, the C5 Z06 was more drivable. The ride in the C5 Z06 is more comfortable - the seats aren't as stiff, and neither is the clutch. For me, the C5 Z06 would make the much better daily driver.

Posting here to largely echo what Sam and Sean just said.

That seems to happen a lot lately. :)

IMO, the C5 Z06 is much more drivable than an 03/04 Cobra. Not that the 03/04 isn't drivable, it's just that, again IMO, the C5 Z06 was more drivable. The ride in the C5 Z06 is more comfortable - the seats aren't as stiff, and neither is the clutch. For me, the C5 Z06 would make the much better daily driver.

I actually agree with that, yes. I like the driver's position better in the Cobra (more upright, not so "sports car low"), but in terms of clutch and other factors, the C5 is more driver friendly. I'm used to a heavy clutch in my '86, so the clutch in the Cobra doesn't bother me... :)

How about not getting buried under a $600/mo car payment at 21? :-D

LOL, I was gonna suggest that, but I have no idea what his guy does for a living. I was giving the benefit of the doubt, that he makes enough for a payment that high, is putting money away for retirement, etc... ;)

I dont have any bills aside from gas,electric and my condo fee so i am living the good life as some people say...i think i have seen sams old vette,and Dr zo6's Vette at quaker and was really impressed...i have also seen mikes's cobra and was impressed...i want shantons opinion on the GTI because those have always had my eye!!

I dont have any bills aside from gas,electric and my condo fee so i am living the good life as some people say...i think i have seen sams old vette,and Dr zo6's Vette at quaker and was really impressed...i have also seen mikes's cobra and was impressed...i want shantons opinion on the GTI because those have always had my eye!!

GTI's are great, pretty easy to get them in the 12's but over 400hp problems start and expensive parts break. Plus fwd is kinda lame for a car that is going to be used for purely fun.

If your looking for a euro, get a 2001.5 audi s4. If you built it up youll be in the 10-11's easy. All you need is a chip, downpipes and fairly cheap k04 turbos (OEM) youll be in the mid 400awhp and hit 11 flats without a problem.

Or you can go all out and get gt28's or 30's and make a ton of power but becomes less reliable.

Thats my plan for next year.

MK4 GTI's can take 300hp daily, APR turbo kits have seen 50k miles on stock internals putting down those numbers with stock like drivability.

But like everyone says you make any more than 300whp in these cars mods start to get exspensive. after 300-350, your gonna need to get a clutch , forged internals and ect.. Not too reliable IMO.

I'm on my 3rd trans.......

I would highly suggest a C5 or a C5 zo6. Buy it cheap drop in a slightly built motor that can handle spray and slightly trans and walk people all day. And I'm sure you can do that with 30k easily.

I got to drive Sams setup one day and to say the least it was a bad mother fucker. Shit if I had it Id drive it everyday.

C5 FTW TrueStory.com

My next car will be a Fastback or a C5.