Best all around performing car for 10-15K

hpfiend

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/reviews/justdriven/6678736/0305_1+1999_To_2003_Ford_SVT_F150_Lightning+Front_Drivers_Side_View_Burnout.jpg

Hmmmmmmmm? It's in your price range.

I wouldnt call 12mpg HIGHWAY a dd, not at 3.50-4$ a gallon.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we have a few winners-

Corvette C4: What I know- relative easy to work on but lots of electrical gremlins, very stiff/very squeaky rattling ride... love the v8 though.

BMW E36: Know virtually nothing other than the fact it is german and parts are expensive- everyone I have ever talked to has loved thiers though-

Audi S4: have heard front suspension is a problem other than that nothing- twin turbo v6 sounds like a nice combo- is german as well parts $$$$-

VR4/Stealth TT - Also nothing but for some reason I dont get the feeling that they are reliable.... why do these cars have more of a cult following than general enthusiast following?

I owned a 1993 vr4 and right now i have a 2000 s4. the vr4 was very reliable, i only had the typical maintenance issues with it, wheel bearings, driveshaft carrier bearings...once i fixed those it took everything i threw it it like a champ. It was my daily driver for 3 years.

Ive had the S4 for over a year now and I have nothing but good things to say about it as well. Parts aren't too bad in price, ive found that the labor is what gets you. Ive pulled the motor and trans out when i upgraded the turbos and it wasnt too bad at all. On the front suspension the ball joints like to go bad, i replaced mine which means you have to replace the entire control arm...and you might as well do all of them at the same time. Easy job...little pricey but not bad

M3=weaksauce

E36 M3 was not a bad car at all, i spent a loooong time trying to decide over an M3 or S4, eventually the turbos won the choice. it's fairly nimble, i just didn't like how you really had to wind the gears out, reminded me of an S2000.

As for a C4, i know they can be made to handle and made fast, but the interior, wow. going from a C4 -> C5 was a huge step forward in cabin comfort and ergonomics. i'd definitely say the M3 > C4 when it comes to interior comfort.

typical audi response. Please not i support the s4, but for the price you can get more from the m3.

it sure is...lol

are you talking about an e36 or e46? You can buy almost 2 s4's for the price of 1 e46 and have both be faster than the m3.

e36's you pretty much have to turbo to get anything out of it am i right?

it sure is...lol

are you talking about an e36 or e46? You can buy almost 2 s4's for the price of 1 e46 and have both be faster than the m3.

Do you realize the S50/52/54 engines have one of the highest BMEP ratings of naturally aspirated performance engines out there -- only to be rivaled by forced induction platforms??

When BMW gives you an engine already pulling nearly 100HP per litre -- there isnt much you can do!!

The M motors are stout, feed them the right octane and you'll have no problem making 400-500-600-700whp. Hell, E46 M cars are making in the 600's-700's through factory long blocks.

it sure is...lol

hummm don't get me wrong as I'm an Audi guy at heart and really either is a solid car... but my best friend had an 99M3 and his one of his girlfriends had an '00 S4 and stock for stock there was nothing in it. (240hp and 3100lbs for the M3, 265hp and 3300lbs for the S4).

now throw a $500 chip in the mix for the Audi and it's a different story...but the M3's still got the handling advantage.

I'd have to think that at the age of both cars we're talking about that the potential maintenance costs of the S4 would be much higher due to the Fragile early K03 turbo's.

Andy

side note...did you do K04's or something more interresting when you upgraded?

oh...and I know where there's a REALLY nice Silver B5 S4 for sale if anyone is after one...I was shocked at how nice it was actually and that doesn't happen often.

Andy

yes...i would be considered stage 3- i guess.

Atleast I've never had to replace my dash IP. :p

The S4 has a BMEP of 16.27 BAR, quite good, but that puts it inbetween a cobalt SS (17 BAR) and a Mustang Cobra (2003) @ 14.3 BAR. For comparison, the Evo IX roughly has 24.6 BAR...

The S52 has 13.75 BAR, which puts it above the F430 (13.56), the 07 Z06 (11.57), and the Viper 8.3L (10.99)

If you cant appreciate the performance of the M motors...you are straight up ignorant.

it sure is...lol

e46 is way over priced right now.. i am refering to a e36.. which seem to be going around 10 for a clean one, and they respond very well to the turbo upgrade.

e46 is way over priced right now.. i am refering to a e36.. which seem to be going around 10 for a clean one, and they respond very well to the turbo upgrade.

Yea, the e46 with a turbo kit on it makes about 800whp on 8psi. Very impressive, too bad the kit will set you back 32 grand