To keep or sell?

DrEvil3264

Hey guys I just wanted to get your opinion on an issue that ill be dealing with soon. I want a reliable car, preferably a new one. Ive already picked out a pretty basic 08 Mazda 3 but the payments arent where I need them to be. My dad's company car is about to expire and they are going to let him buy it for a rediculously low price of between $4000 and $5000. Its an 06 Grand Prix GT with the supercharged engine, but it does have over a 115000 miles on it. Regardless hes going to buy the car, but should we sell the car which would most definitely end in a several thousand dollar profit, and then put that towards the new mazda which should bring the payments down to where I want them. Thanks for the replies guys

The mazda I was looking at and pretty much made my mind on is $16,335 before taxes. Talked to the guy, and buying it zero down stretching the payments out would be around $280-$300 a month. I need to get that down to around $200, oh yeah and im not interested in the KIA, if im going to be shelling out money every month for a car I want it to be for a car that I really want. KBB on the grand prix private party value is almost $10,000, so i figure if i could get anywhere close to that it would be several grand in profit.

Guest mrhobbz

KBB... != real world prices..

The mazda I was looking at and pretty much made my mind on is $16,335 before taxes. Talked to the guy, and buying it zero down stretching the payments out would be around $280-$300 a month. I need to get that down to around $200, oh yeah and im not interested in the KIA, if im going to be shelling out money every month for a car I want it to be for a car that I really want. KBB on the grand prix private party value is almost $10,000, so i figure if i could get anywhere close to that it would be several grand in profit.

No, they discontinued the GTP in 05 in turn put the S/C in the GT's removed some GTP goodies and sold it as the lower trim to the GXP which was then the top trim level.

IMO, buy the co. car, curb it, take the money and buy a 1-2 year old Mazda or Honda and be done with things. I wouldn't buy new anything. Lease, yes, but buy....buy used. I could give tons of insight on that but I'll leave it to my personal last purchase...

Used Minivan, titled 8 mos prior with only 4,400 miles. Saved $11k off the price vs brand new.

if it is supercharged wouldn't it be the GTP then?? if its a GTP keep it and use that for a daily.

Guest mrhobbz
No, they discontinued the GTP in 05 in turn put the S/C in the GT's removed some GTP goodies and sold it as the lower trim to the GXP which was then the top trim level.

IMO, buy the co. car, curb it, take the money and buy a 1-2 year old Mazda or Honda and be done with things. I wouldn't buy new anything. Lease, yes, but buy....buy used. I could give tons of insight on that but I'll leave it to my personal last purchase...

Used Minivan, titled 8 mos prior with only 4,400 miles. Saved $11k off the price vs brand new.

x2.5

Don't buy a kia, ur probably better off buying a scooter. remember, you get what you pay for.

KBB of $10k on that car doesn't mean it will actually go for that much. Remember the economy is slumping. I would suggest you take the car to CARMAX so you can at least get an idea of what you will get if you just want to dump the car. If you can sell it to CARMAX and get at least 1k extra it might be worth it. But keep in mind eveytime you buy a car you are going to pay taxes.

in the end its probably not worth the hassle. You are 21 and don't need the hassle of a car payment either.

Yeah I see what you mean, but im just worried about the reliability of the car. Although it was on the company's wallet, the wheel bearings have gone out twice on the car, and it was also plagued with some electrical issues. These were fixed but all the repairs over the course of the cars life cost several grand. I just dont want to have a money pit on my hands.

Actually the Mazda3 holds its value quite well if he could pick up a 07 same model, simular options, and low miles for a little over $14k. Then the question comes do to will he get a better interst rate with used apposed to new. From what I remember my brother (car salesman) telling me USed cars will have a higher intrest rate compared to a new car.

Guest mrhobbz

CARMAX? :| I would have to say you fail now.

Don't buy a kia, ur probably better off buying a scooter. remember, you get what you pay for.

KBB of $10k on that car doesn't mean it will actually go for that much. Remember the economy is slumping. I would suggest you take the car to CARMAX so you can at least get an idea of what you will get if you just want to dump the car. If you can sell it to CARMAX and get at least 1k extra it might be worth it. But keep in mind eveytime you buy a car you are going to pay taxes.

in the end its probably not worth the hassle. You are 21 and don't need the hassle of a car payment either.

How about you buy your dads 06 grand prix and drive it. 4-5k for that car is a steal. Why not just drive that?

If you can only pay 200 a month with no money down your going to get murdered by the interest. Youll end up paying 20k+ in the end.

06 =5k

08=20k

Is the difference worth 15k?

Besides maybe your dad will let you make payments without interest.

CARMAX? :| I would have to say you fail now.

No its called being smart, CARMAX being the worse case senario as far as what he can expect to get out of the car so he doesn't get stuck with it.

yeah don't buy new...you will ose 2-3k just driving it off the lot.

Depends on the car look at resale values when getting a car.

you will lose cash when you drive it off the lot but if you get a brand new car you will know that it wasn't abused during its break in period and are able to upkeep on all its maintenance. I know I plan to keep my civic for a long long time so the initial drop in price is worth it, on top of the fact that interest rates are lower on new cars.

If you sell your car after 2 yrs yeah you are going to lose money.

I use my parents as an example. They had a Mitsubishi Expo, love the damn thing (298k miles now). Bought it new in 1994 and still drive it. They loved it so much they got another one in 2002, with only 98k. The owner showed maintenance receipts and everything....we had such good luck with the other one what could go wrong? damn thing started consuming oil in 10k miles. This story is how I justify buying a new car.

From what I remember my brother (car salesman) telling me USed cars will have a higher intrest rate compared to a new car.

Typically. Though my fiancee just picked up her Audi, 06 A4 for zero down, 60 months, 0.9% financing. Better than buying a new car.

Wtf are you talking about? Chesround Kia Town, 249$/mo

He can't even afford that. And who the heck would want to be caught in a Kia? I'd rather drive a 10 year old Honduh w/ the typical wheel well rust that a new Kia.

Seriously, $200/month @ 60 months @ 7% = 10k loan...buy a used car.

I say keep the Grand Prix.You may end up putting some money into the electricals every now and then, and you will probably have to do another hub or two(easy DIY job, BTW), but that motor is easily good for another 100,000 miles or more, and it'll be a hell of a lot more fun to drive, not mention more comfortable and better looking than a Kia...

I say keep the Grand Prix.You may end up putting some money into the electricals every now and then, and you will probably have to do another hub or two(easy DIY job, BTW), but that motor is easily good for another 100,000 miles or more, and it'll be a hell of a lot more fun to drive, not mention more comfortable and better looking than a Kia...

Quoted for TRUTH :cool:

If you can only afford a $200/month car payment, you have no business owning a new car.

I hate to say it but I agree.

If you can only afford $200 a month for ANY car I wouldnt be having a car payment. PERIOD. Just think if something happens to it and you need to spend $600 to fix it, then youre probably screwed.

I would buy wise on this one, you dont need to screw over your credit that young.