Have you been summoned for Jury Duty?

RiceBurner

Have you been summoned to serve on Jury Duty?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been summoned to serve on Jury Duty?

Huh. I like Jury Duty. I like being involved in the judicial process and being a public servant' date=' even if just for a couple days. It's a small price to pay in my opinion.[/quote']

I agree. I'm split I hate the idea of showing up, sitting for hours and not being called. I'm trying to set a good example for my daughters by doing what is right and not complaining about it. I hope if called it's not a ex on trial for murder, how bizarre would that be...

:eek:

Dude that's funny! Was yours for your County court also?

What's funny is it tells you if called not to discuss any details with anyone, even other jurors, wth? I thought there was something called deliberation, Perry Mason you lied.

Yeah its for Summit county court. I'd kinda like to do it but I really need to work

you know what though, even if you say you are racist and hate everyone im pretty sure you still have to go for 5 days and sit in the pool... you just wont be picked to be on any juries.

ive done it, and i would do it again.

• 1 month later...
I'd just say I'm racists towards every race even my own. I think aliens are the only legit race. Real aliens, not those illegal wannabes from Mexico.

I say basically the same thing but I HATE EVERYONE!! If your in court and need a jury your GUILTY!:D

Okay I did my civic duty and registered to vote now I'm paying the price.

I received Notice to serve as a Petit Juror for the entire month of January.

I have training and they did post-pone it until March but a freakin' month?

Yeah, I got a letter once, it was delivered like 6 weeks late cause my mail person SUCKS, obviously I was not able to respond in time. all the numbers on the mailing were automatic BS recordings, and the response time had expired, there was nothing I could do. nothing ever happened.

• 2 years later...

:zombie:

Those folks that have been summoned, did you ever bother to look up the online record of the person you were tasked with indicting/convicting/acquitting? Do you think you should have access to that information? Would it bias you to the point were your judgment would be unfair?

I only ask because I've been following this case:

Judge orders removal of online records in murder case

if i personally thought someone was guilty, but the prosecutor did not make their case, then would vote not guilty.

its not my job to make a decision on my personal feelings, its my job to make a decision based on the evidence presented in a trial.

The legal system is inefficient, but generally errs on the side of caution.

I do not think jurors should have access to any information that's not deemed relevant and admissible at trial.

My knowledge of the Federal Rules of Evidence is relegated solely to a little handbook I consult for objections during mock trial competitions, but the state rules are substantially the same.

"character evidence" is only relevant in certain situations. Even in a murder trial, it depends on the circumstances. Someone can be a total a-hole and still not be guilty of "murder" as its defined by criminal law. The facts of the particular event in question should be all that matter.

I'll give you that "Justice is blind" (or should be), but these are PUBLIC RECORD. So, regardless of if/when the information was obtained by an individual, that information should be there for any and all to obtain.

The motion to remove the public record, is ALSO a public record. So, I could also look that up and now wonder "what are they trying to hide"? I know I'm not a lawyer or anything, but I thought prior-convictions to bear some weight in court (or is that just in the sentencing portion?)

Beyond all that, just the fact that these events are being reported in the news, is exposing A LOT more people to this specific case than if they would've just rolled the dice and asked the jurors if they had looked at the prior record during interviews. I would guess that a lot more people read the news than go online and look at court dockets... this whole effort to remove the online docket has essentially backfired causing even MORE publicity.

IMHO I don't think jurors should be allowed to access information outside of the court room. I know that some juries or locked in due to it being a high media case. We are all individuals and respond to information differently.

I always find it laughable when an attorney says something they know is going to be objectionable and the Judge tells them to dis-regard what they just heard, seriously...is there a purge button in my mind that I am unaware of? Ah perhaps the Vulcan Mind Meld...