Boat Parts / Mechanics...

nurkvinny

I have a '90 Funliner 19' Cuddy with a 3.0L Mercruiser. I tried getting her to fire up today, and I have traced the no-start issue to no fuel. I thought it might be the checkball in the tank pick-up hardline, but I am able to suck fuel through the line between the tank and the pump.

I took the fuel pump off, and I can hear some pumping/sucking noises when I press on the lever manually. There was red gunk built up in the semi-clear line in the area circled in red below. Do these pumps fail often? Is there a problem with them losing their prime? Any help is appreciated. This is an awesome boat that I need to make sure is 100% sound; I am putting her for sale as soon as I can get this fixed.

http://www.nurkvinny.com/images/100_2175.jpg

It wasn't 'winterized' as some people would call it, but it was stored in an attached garage that never gets below freezing in the winter. I removed the battery, drained all the water, and stabilized the fuel.

The boat started, idled and ran perfectly late last fall. Today, I cranked it many, many times, with choke on, choke off, no throttle, partial throttle, full throttle, etc. I'm pretty good with starting carb'ed cars, so I figured I would eventually get her started. After no luck, I took the line from the anti-syphon ball fitting to the pump off, and it was still bone dry.

Fuel is not getting to the pump.

Those clear lines are notorious for getting gunk in them. I had to clean the hell out of mine when I swapped in my new motor. The pumps like to gunk up too, though mine didn't have any issues, I just cleaned it when I was having a odd poorly running issue (bad spark plugs from the factory, go figure).

My boat just has a rubber hose that goes from the tank to the pump; pretty simple setup.

• 2 weeks later...

I work as a boat tech at a marina... but I try to avoid working on I/O's

Is fuel getting to the carb? If so I would pump the throttle a good 5 times, start cranking, if it won't start, repeat and keep pumping while you are cranking.

Also, smell the fuel... that is a common problem with boats not starting, also, are u getting spark? Easy way to test is a quick shot of ether if you are alone.

It wouldn't surprise me if you just needed to take the carb apart and clean it.

Also, I am not sure on that particular pump, but fuel pumps in boats are about 90 percent rubber, and deteriorate over time. It shouldn't be hard to take apart and look at. Look for missing/ripped check valves and baffle. If the baffle is ripped you will get gas in the crankcase, i belive that was said earlier.