New Autox class..."SMS"

Dr. Apex

OVR is finally introducing a new class due to demand called "SMS, or Street Modified Sport". Basically it's for those of you that get put into "Street Mod that allows R compound tires a place to play with other cars on street tires.

Are you in this class??

In most any case where you have turned up the boost of your car, added some displacement, swapped a motor into your car or have a built motor with aftermarket parts you will end up in SM. The SM class normally allows R comp tires but this class will restrict tires to 140 treadwear rating or higher for street tires. There is almost no limit to tire size or how much power your car makes like SM normally allows.

This will be considered a normal class where you can accrue points but I'm not sure if there will be a year end trophy. This is a supplemental class and only exists here and a few other regions use it, it is not a nationally recognized class so don't expect to hear about it at the Pro Solo or National level and plenty of regions may not have this class.

OVR has created it based on the number of people interested here to meet demand and help with newer people that can get thrown into a very fast SM class almost too soon to be competing with well prepped cars and drivers.

The details are still being finalized but this class will be available at the next event. If your not sure your going to be eligible just ask on here, or when you get to the event the Tech people will get you sorted out.

AJ, I'll have to ask as I don't know what all types of car they are going to allow in the class we have SM and SM2 for the 2 seater cars, I don't think they are planning on a SMS2. I'll find out.

Matt, yes, you now have no excuse so you better show up now!!! :D

Gotta be Stas?? Only one I can think of. And when I'm there in the Laser there's only so much I can do with that old thing and yes there are much faster drivers out there than me!!

I'd love to do another Governers Cup with a technical course like last year in the S2000 only this time without rain and see what happens!!

AJ, 2 seater cars have always been classed to them selves in SM and ST and it's going to stay that way. If they allow 2 seaters in SMS it opens up a big can of worms of big power cars like yours and awd turbo Porsches which could be unfair. Plus the turnout of 2 seat classes has been very low the past few years so an SMS-2 is not an option.

Basically, SM2 and ASP are your options. Though if you run all the points events you'd stand a good chance at a class win because of the low turn out. Not the funnest way to win but that's the way it is.

Guest Kidneyboy
I think i may head over to SMS if it is around next year. Gotta wear out my R compounds [all 8 of em, unless someone wants to buy a set of 225/50-14 hoosiers]

AJ, 2 seater cars have always been classed to them selves in SM and ST and it's going to stay that way. If they allow 2 seaters in SMS it opens up a big can of worms of big power cars like yours and awd turbo Porsches which could be unfair. Plus the turnout of 2 seat classes has been very low the past few years so an SMS-2 is not an option.

Basically, SM2 and ASP are your options. Though if you run all the points events you'd stand a good chance at a class win because of the low turn out. Not the funnest way to win but that's the way it is.

well i guess i'll just keep it in ASP as i don't have the mods to keep up in SM2 yet. i do have a question about update/backdate that i will PM you about later.

^Got your pm and replied. Your car might be a perfect candidate for this new class. They will get you sorted out when you attend your first event.

The SMS class is available this coming sunday so ask for it when you check in at registration as it may not be listed online yet.