Rebel XTi, Body Only.

mrs.cos

Just take a picture and in the upper corner of the screen will be a file number for instance mine currently says. 172-8654 That is file 172 picture 8654 This is as long as the camera was set up with continuous counting.

The actual shutter clicks may be higher. i.e. on my camera, the file number is 4006. the shutter clicks in 4031. probably due to me trying to take a photo with no memory card.

If you send me a pictures I can pull it from the exif information.

you can also upload it to flicker and I believe that will tell you as well.

Yes, no, there's no true odometer on the Non-1D's bodies unless you send it to canon to read the file in their repair utility. one can change the count simply by reformatting a new CF and inserting it into the camera and resetting the file numbers. counts are also reset by the factory when the shutter is replaced.

Unfortunately while the exif will show a number, it doesn't contain the actual shutter counts. many times cameras such as my two come brand new with exif data reading 1800+ or 3500+ actuations, but that's due to the testing done as they come off the line.

None of the above is likely applicable here, but I just wanted to put that out there as it's a commonly discussed topic in camera forums all over.

XTi's are rated at 50,000 actuations I believe, but many go much farther. Rapid firing is what kills the shutter more so than single actions. Not sure if it's a heat thing, but that's what the techs will tell you.

The actual shutter clicks may be higher. i.e. on my camera, the file number is 4006. the shutter clicks in 4031. probably due to me trying to take a photo with no memory card.

If you send me a pictures I can pull it from the exif information.

you can also upload it to flicker and I believe that will tell you as well.

Yes, no, there's no true odometer on the Non-1D's bodies unless you send it to canon to read the file in their repair utility. one can change the count simply by reformatting a new CF and inserting it into the camera and resetting the file numbers. counts are also reset by the factory when the shutter is replaced.

Unfortunately while the exif will show a number, it doesn't contain the actual shutter counts. many times cameras such as my two come brand new with exif data reading 1800+ or 3500+ actuations, but that's due to the testing done as they come off the line.

None of the above is likely applicable here, but I just wanted to put that out there as it's a commonly discussed topic in camera forums all over.

XTi's are rated at 50,000 actuations I believe, but many go much farther. Rapid firing is what kills the shutter more so than single actions. Not sure if it's a heat thing, but that's what the techs will tell you.

This is 100% correct. Unfortunatly I wonder how many other people understand this? I think with all the above combined we have probably confused this shit out of him. I think we talked before ever so slightly on the topic. Arent you on POTN?

I need a general assumption of how many click are on the camera and you can refer back to my way to get that info. As long as no services were dont and it was never reset it should be close to out of the box actuations. That will tell me what I need to know.

I know....the information on this subject can be a bit over the top, but it is good to get it out for more folks to realize. I'm on dpreview, Miranda and POTN, but not as much lately.

You can probably use the file count number like you said. I've actually seen more 20D's fail than the XTi's and yet they have the same shutter rating....which of course is like miles on a car....your mileage will vary when it comes to durability and lasting power.

BTW....we got a new Nikon D3 at the office. If ever there were a reason to jump ship, that's the shit to do it for. If it were a car it would be the new Supercharged ZO6 as compared to my POS. ISO 6400 is like ISO 800-1600 on my 1DMKII. Very nice.

This is 100% correct. Unfortunatly I wonder how many other people understand this? I think with all the above combined we have probably confused this shit out of him. I think we talked before ever so slightly on the topic. Arent you on POTN?

I need a general assumption of how many click are on the camera and you can refer back to my way to get that info. As long as no services were dont and it was never reset it should be close to out of the box actuations. That will tell me what I need to know.

I still have my MKII and upgraded my daily shooter from a 20D to the 40D. Eli bought my 20D for his wife.

I actually like the 40D better. Lighter, great focus system...vastly improved focusing, but of course the 1 series still prevails. Image wise, 9/10's the MKII.

Andy's detailing the GXP Tuesday so if there's still some golden hour light left when he's done, I may take her for a photo shoot.

dpreview? is that .com? Ill have to check that out. Im looking for another backup camera. Figured this would be good enough. What are you shooting with now?

edit. yep its .com

Do you guys realize this really isnt helping me sell the camera?

My dad will be locating the numbers, though i am not sure still if i understand how the numbering system works.

Will this number show up in the LCD screen?

I can tell you it's spawned three different people pm'ing me asking about cameras and and you're up to over 114 hits on the link. It will sell.

It's a fair price for a nice body and great sensor....and that's not just a plug, it's true.

If you've not reset the file numbering, the file number will appear in in the top left corner of the LCD as noted above. It will give 360Iroc a good indication of the gear.

Do you guys realize this really isnt helping me sell the camera?

My dad will be locating the numbers, though i am not sure still if i understand how the numbering system works.

Will this number show up in the LCD screen?

We did get a little off topic on you. Sorry for that. Im am interested in your body (camera) for another backup. High risk situations I dont like using my current. Even with a strap around my neck.

Let me ask you this. If you are selling the camera for you dad is there any way of getting it up here to columbus? I would like to check it out.

Upper right corner of image. See this example from an XTi. 8568 is the file number we're looking for.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS400D/Images/Captures/TV2006083115285700-01.jpg

well on my XTi, it doesnt show up, so i dont know where to tell my dad to look at this.

Upper right corner of image. See this example from an XTi. 8568 is the file number we're looking for.

http://a.img-dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS400D/Images/Captures/TV2006083115285700-01.jpg

Just take a picture and in the upper corner of the screen will be a file number for instance mine currently says. 172-8654 That is file 172 picture 8654 This is as long as the camera was set up with continuous counting.

With the picture now available and the discription that I first posted this should be easy now.

With the picture now available and the discription that I first posted this should be easy now.

I really do see what you are saying, but my camera does not show this. (maybe i have changed a setting?)

I will be in dayton picking up the camera tomorrow, to bring back with me.

I will take pics of it when i get home with it.

**edit**

Oh Oh, i figured it out :D i will find out tomorow.

his the display button in the preview mode. it will toggle the histogram and other items on the display.

I really do see what you are saying, but my camera does not show this. (maybe i have changed a setting?)

I will be in dayton picking up the camera tomorrow, to bring back with me.

I will take pics of it when i get home with it.

**edit**

Oh Oh, i figured it out :D i will find out tomorow.

Tim your inbox is full so....

I dont care that its public

Damn it, I think I did get a visual on that. Yeah the equipment that is coming out now is coming way to fast. I actually dont shoot as much as I used to, or would like to. But for some reason I still am buying equipment. With my business going the way it is, Im putting in 6 days a week to make it run the way it should. I have so much work and not enough bodies or time to get it all done. And every week its just gets deeper. Not that Im complaining.