Need a Mechanics opinion on tools

Tomcat0403

I just bought a 204pc mechanics set to replace the 168pc mechanics set i have. The problem is i compared the two side by side and the 204pc set is missing a few things that might be too useful to ignore. The 168 pc set has two spark plug sockets, more combo wrenches, a longer 3/8ths socket wrench, 3" extensions for all three socket wrenches, bigger sockets (i.e. 21mm over a 19mm max) and more 3/8ths deep well sockets. Benefits to the 204pc set; the case actually holds all of the tools in a more compact area, it has a lot more 1/4" deep well sockets, more allen wrenches, and more smaller 1/4" sockets.

Anyone have an opinion about if differences matter?

well i would do the 204 piece set because i do auto body for a living and the 1/4" ratchet and sockets get a lot more use than the 3/8" because of there smaller size so i would do the 204 and buy the add. like extensions wrenches all the fun stuff because you can never have to many tools its just not possible but stay away from snap on lol a 44 piece socket set cost me $504

1/4 and 3/8 got the fair share of use in my shop. I say just pick one and buy what the other is missing. Def stay away from snapon and mac they make a good quality tool but its not worth the price of sears. There are a few things they make better but the majority of my box is all craftsman.

socket size--i dont know of any bolt on my bike that i use a lot thats bigger than 18mm, other than the rear axle, and steering stem nut. but those are 22/32 mm. i bought those seperately.

box wrenches--don't really use these very much, ill use the smaller ones occasionally not a big deal

spark plug socket -- does your 204 pc have one? if it does then don't worry about it.

longer 3/8" wrench -- if you can't get it off then your either 1) weak or 2) need leverage, you've got that hollow tube in your tool kit you can "add on" if you need to. honestly i dont think this will be a problem.

deep well -- there has only been 2 occasions i have needed deep well, and you were with me. getting the engine out.

extensions -- these are nice, does your 204 have them? if not thats no big deal, just get yourself your own set at autozone for a decent price. and vary your range, don't limit to 3", i have 3" and 6" in my set.

smaller casing -- nice, but are you really cramped for space...

allen wrenches are awesome! but... every since i got my allen sockets i haven't really touched my allen wrenches in a while. also may want to consider adding some torx sockets in your collection.

one other thing to add about the longer ratchet. get yourself a nice breaker bar along with a 1/2" to 3/8" (or 1/4") size converter. problem solved.

o and speedy wrenches are suhweet too :)

ill give you a full report of everything i needed after i tear down my engine and build it back again. but im pretty sure im set.

Craftsman Has the set that comes in a black plastic case with either 3 or 4 red pull out shelves. I have the one with 4 drawers. It has 1/4 3/8 and half. I think it came with metric and standard allens. also 2 spark plug sockets, extensions for all sizes in different lengths. I dont remember how many pieces exactly. I like it cause its all organized and you can easily see when one of your friends makes off with a tool.

It runs around $200 but usually is on sale a few times a year for 179. Might be on sale now or right after Christmas, that's when I bought mine.

The 204 pc does not have spark plug sockets or extensions for all of the ratchets, and dont forget i work on my jeep too, hence the reason for the bigger sockets like the 21mm which i have used on the jeep and the deep wells are used a lot more on the jeep than the short. Hmmm, i would keep both but i dont have the money to do that.

Only thing to buy from snap-on is wrenches. I just think they fit better :dunno:

It's true. Snap-on and Mac have slightly tighter tolerances. The impact is debatable, maybe a couple less stripped out nuts :dunno:

O yea and a set of T-allen wrenches are money. The ones that have the key in the handle are even better.

It's true. Snap-on and Mac have slightly tighter tolerances. The impact is debatable, maybe a couple less stripped out nuts :dunno:

O yea and a set of T-allen wrenches are money. The ones that have the key in the handle are even better.

Unless you have some high tolerance nuts and bolts it wont make much difference. A good handle is where it is at