02 mustang k member install, what to support engine?

BDHG940

We are getting ready to install a k member in my 02 gt and trying to find the best solution to support the engine. We were thinking of just using the engine hoist but think thats going to get in the way trying to pull the old one and install the tubular one. Let me know if anyone has any hints or tips they wish they knew before you started your install

Guest Hal

Hoist is the easiest. The first time I did it I used a bottle jack and 2x4. Support it at the very front of the oil pan (where is bolts to the timing cover.

The hoist will get in the way unless the car is high enough. I did mine once with the hoist, and I did Kurt's with a hoist.

Lock the steering wheel with the key off. You need to make sure not to rotate the steering linkage.

The top bolts (frame to k) are 18mm. An impact is best to get those off.

The back bolts are 15mm. No impact needed.

The engine mount nuts should be 21mm.

The control arm bolts are 21mm and 24mm if I remember. Impact is good.

Caliper to bracket bolts are 15mm.

Guest Hal

One tip, have two people or a floor jack. The stock k is heavy and sucks when you are alone.

If you need any help or have any questions, let me know.

Guest 614Streets

A good thing to use is a sling. Better for fwd cars but still can use on RWDhttp://cgi.ebay.com/Engine-Transverse-Bar-w-Support-Arm-Auto-Car-Tools_W0QQitemZ180238011441QQihZ008QQcategoryZ43998QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Slides across the engine bay rests on the inner lip of the fenders and you can sling it to the oem hoist hangers brackets.

On Corys 03 I used my transjack.

A good thing to use is a sling. Better for fwd cars but still can use on RWDhttp://cgi.ebay.com/Engine-Transverse-Bar-w-Support-Arm-Auto-Car-Tools_W0QQitemZ180238011441QQihZ008QQcategoryZ43998QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Slides across the engine bay rests on the inner lip of the fenders and you can sling it to the oem hoist hangers brackets.

On Corys 03 I used my transjack.

We always refer to them and a top side engine cartel. That’s what I plan on using when I do my K-member that way you can still raise the engine some it has to go up to get the engine mounts in place.

Guest Hal
We always refer to them and a top side engine cartel. That’s what I plan on using when I do my K-member that way you can still raise the engine some it has to go up to get the engine mounts in place.

Not necessary on the Mustangs. I personally think it's easier to just use the bottle jack or hoist.

nice thanks for the info, I we were worried the hoist would get in the way but I guess we will try and tackle the project with it then.

I have all the parts so hopefully if I can get a few friends over and get this 5.0 out of the garage, might try and do it this weekend

Guest Hal
nice thanks for the info, I we were worried the hoist would get in the way but I guess we will try and tackle the project with it then.

I have all the parts so hopefully if I can get a few friends over and get this 5.0 out of the garage, might try and do it this weekend

Move the arm all the way to the 1/2 ton point to keep as much of the legs out at possible. Raise the car as high as possible and it will slide out to one side. If you decide it's just too much of a hassle let me know. I'm sure I can fit another one in my garage for a couple hours.

I mean we have lifts and all air tools, etc, only problem is finding room to work on everything. Hal what would you charge to do the k member install. before I decide to rip into this thing, I might consider just paying someone. Its GMS k member, control arms and coil overs... Let me know