Removing tires without a tire changer?

Stampede

Do you want to keep your wheels?

I do it all the time at work for heavy equipment, but that's on wheels that are steel, and already fucked/scratched up, so a couple prybars on them won't make a difference.

I'd love a tire machine here, though. Would make my life MUCH easier.

Three prybars, and a sledgehammer, and yes, you're gonna hurt yourself.

If you try teaching yourself to remove a tire with prybars, without someone to show you how, I guarantee you're gonna get smacked with a prybar with the full force of the metal bead behind it. Believe me, that's gonna bruise to the bone.

The sledgehammer is for breaking the bead off the rim. You just gotta smack it as hard as you dare on the sidewall until the bead breaks.

OH, BTW, the smaller the wheel, the harder is it to break the bead. If you get smacked with the prybar, make sure you post pictures of the bruising...

if you want the wheel to look pretty when your done its not possible if its just an old atv wheel or a wheel barrow / equipment tire let the air out and then use a hammer to bash the bead down off the rim then go to work with a pry bar

your farther aheaad to just have a tire shop like NTB (shameless plug) do it

Pretty easy. Just use pry bars or find someone with the correct tools for the job. They look like pry bars, but have special ends to help in the process. I've done it a lot of times since up here I get charged between 25 and 35 per tire. Back home wouldn't waste the time when I could get it done for $4.

Also good way to unseat the bead is to place wheel on ground and drive over rubber with heavy truck.

Evan

its really not that hard.

Deflate the tire, break the bead on both sides with your foot by laying the wheel on its side and stomp that ish. Use a pry bar and work the tire off over the lip of the wheel... That's really all that's to it. Ive taken tires off and installed tires this way fairly quickly when I didn't have a machine.

its really not that hard.

Deflate the tire, break the bead on both sides with your foot by laying the wheel on its side and stomp that ish. Use a pry bar and work the tire off over the lip of the wheel... That's really all that's to it. Ive taken tires off and installed tires this way fairly quickly when I didn't have a machine.

I want video of you breaking beads with your foot.

Guest Hal
I want video of you breaking beads with your foot.

I want video of him breaking a 50 series tire with his foot. I think the only one I could break with my foot would be a Wrangler that was barrel stacked for a year.

Guest Hal
I would love to see anyone remove something below 50 series without a tire machine. After that, I want to see them install the same series tire.

I have taken a 2x4 and laid it against the bead and rolled up onto it with another car, that can break the bead, or shoot the board out. Then without some way of supporting the rim its almost impossible to finish breaking it down. Just take it somewhere. Unless its something oddly big, or low profile I'd break it down for you cheap, say $3, at my shop.

I would love to see anyone remove something below 50 series without a tire machine. After that, I want to see them install the same series tire.

Amen. I have done 30-40 tires when our machine was broken. We would only touch steel wheels (and back then, a 70-series was the lowest thing out there).

Come over and try breaking my 38x10.50's with your foot:-) I usually use a bottle jack and press it between my trail trucks bumper and the ground to get them unseated.

I have done 33x10.50's with a 3lb hammer though, but that was a good bit of swinging.

Evan