Question for those who have rented

Twistedrx7

After looking for a long time at apartments i had it narrowed down to a few i liked. Well one of them had an opening, so i jumped on it. It was a nicer well kept place.

Well i go to start move some stuff in tonight, and apparently the person below me was cooking some nasty shit because it stuck up my apartment so much i had to leave, i was going to throw up. To top it off at the door landing the molding has about a 1/5 space from the for in two spots. Well i look and there is a bunch of mouse shit there.

I know i can advise the landlord, but do you think that this is enough to break the lease. My thinking is if there is this much shit on the ground this isnt just a recent problem.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c168/twistedrx7/Mice.jpg

I just talked with the landlord and they are telling me that if they cant get to it today it is going to be monday. And that the people below me cook with currey a lot and there is nothing i can do about it.

Now if the smell is enough to make me want to throw up and the mice dropping on top of it, do you think it is enough to break the lease?

I just talked with the landlord and they are telling me that if they cant get to it today it is going to be monday. And that the people below me cook with currey a lot and there is nothing i can do about it.

Now if the smell is enough to make me want to throw up and the mice dropping on top of it, do you think it is enough to break the lease?

demand that they move you ti another unit

talk to the landlord. if they are unwilling to relocate you, look into some type of mediation and work to put your rent in escrow until things work out. they want their money, don't want to battle it out and will eventually come around. I bet once they get the escrow notice, they cave.

IMO though, any place that has mice....GTFO of there! Nasty.

I agree renting is dumb but i do not have enough to buy a house... :(

If you have enough to rent you have enough to buy a house. My mortgage payment is $720 a month and less/even with most 2 bedroom apartments around Columbus.

talk to the landlord. if they are unwilling to relocate you, look into some type of mediation and work to put your rent in escrow until things work out. they want their money, don't want to battle it out and will eventually come around. I bet once they get the escrow notice, they cave.

IMO though, any place that has mice....GTFO of there! Nasty.

The Judge will laugh at you if you try to escrow the rent because of people cooking with currey. You would have to show documented health reasons that you cannot be around it and that you disclosed that at the lease signing and they did not hold up their bargin.

If you have enough to rent you have enough to buy a house. My mortgage payment is $720 a month and less/even with most 2 bedroom apartments around Columbus.

You need to factor in repairs on the house. That costs much more then renting since landlord usually fixes everything for free.

Just talk to your landlord until something can be agreed upon. Maybe they can move you to the bottom floor and someone else up a floor into your current flat? I used to live in a top apartment and then in one on the first floor. You ALWAYS want one at the bottom. Smell is better and also it is colder then one above you. Summer time is a bitch with no A/C when you don't live on the ground.

+ 150 - 200 / MO property tax

+ 75 / mo if you dont have 20% down (mortgage insurance)

+ $$$ for any repairs that come up

+ closing costs when buying, for loan origination, realtor, title, taxes, inspections

I am currently in the process of looking at houses, and I am all for getting a mortgage over renting. In the end you will have equity, an appreciated piece of property that you can do whatever you want with it. But lets not pretend that just because you pay $720 a month on a mortgage that is = to a $720/mo rent payment

+ 150 - 200 / MO property tax

+ 75 / mo if you dont have 20% down (mortgage insurance)

+ $$$ for any repairs that come up

+ closing costs when buying, for loan origination, realtor, title, taxes, inspections

I am currently in the process of looking at houses, and I am all for getting a mortgage over renting. In the end you will have equity, an appreciated piece of property that you can do whatever you want with it. But lets not pretend that just because you pay $720 a month on a mortgage that is = to a $720/mo rent payment

Exactly. And people who bought a couple years ago could be getting that house for MUCH less now and arent exactly looking too brilliant.

I'm not talking about the curry....I'm talking about mice...and it's highly unlikely there's just one mouse shitting in just his apartment.

Notify the landlord of the issue and expectations via certified mail.

Call and file a complaint with the health inspector.

Allow the landlord time to resolve things....generally 30 days.

If the landlord does not make repairs within a reasonable time period, go to court.

If you have problems, PM me. My wife has some connections and has been there done this with clients.

The Judge will laugh at you if you try to escrow the rent because of people cooking with currey. You would have to show documented health reasons that you cannot be around it and that you disclosed that at the lease signing and they did not hold up their bargin.

Well, i bought some air fresheners before work and plugged them in at 230. Came back at 2315 and still smelled. There was a tiny haze when i turned on the light towards the hall. Im guessing from whatever they cooked.

I had them put in a work order, i cannot talk to them until monday. I doubt anyone even came by to check it out.

Im pretty sure as well that there isnt only one mouse. Where there is one there are another 10. I should know i watch disney movies ;)

Should i file a complaint with the health inspector now or wait until the landlord puts some effort into it?

the places right behind the big church? its full of somalians. thats why. i had a friend moved there when they were brand new, and left as soon as their lease was up. i hated going over there.

shoulda just waited for something to open up over here...same price range, i havent seen 1 somalian here.