360 back from the dead

87GT

OK this is my 3rd attempt at fixing my xbox. I must buy a new one if it breaks again. I have broken 4 of those lame clips to hold the case on already. It does not give the RRoD now.

I decided to remove the X-Clamps holding the heatsinks to the board and put machine screws in. I had to remove the thermal paste off the chips and that was so tedious! All I had was alcohol and q-tips. It took a good hour of scrubbing until the chip dies looked like a mirror. Then after that I had to remove the paste from the bottom of the heat sinks. I had a cut in my finger so the whole time 91% alcohol was getting on it. By the time I was finished I couldn't feel the top part of my finger LOL. After this was applying more paste, putting screws and washers through the bottom of the board, applying heat sinks, and screwing them in. Then you have to let it overheat for a minute to warp the motherboard back into place and set the paste.

GTA4 plays for a good amount of time now. I suggest that no one that has a 360 play with it laying down. Keeping it up on the side lets more air cool it off. Make sure you buy a fan attachment that runs off the back.

I hate microsoft for making me do this shit. Fuck waiting a month for sending it in and getting a referb back. :(

And since everyone on the internet wants you to pay them for the screws I will give you a list of them from Home Depot. Any questions about the fix just ask. Good luck.

Here are the offical home depot part numbers:

Qty - 8 Machine Screw Pan - Phillips 5 x 10mm (DR# - 313) UPC - 030699 801282

Qty - 16 Flat Washer Nylon #10 (DR# - 610) UPC - 030699 869381

Qty - 16 Flat Washer Steel / ZINC Plated 5mm (DR# - 606) UPC - 030699 363087

Just a FYI there are two kinds of the Intercooler for the 360, one has been known to make the 360 over heat and one is the best thing ever for the 360. I know this cause I looked into it b4 buying one last year. The only way you can tell which one is which is the Box it comes in. Only place that sold the bad one as of last Summer was Wal-Mart (Due to buying in Bulk). I forget where I read this but it is worth looking into.

you are now my friend then.....

i thought the elites werent supposed to get the RROD?

They have a smaller chip design I think? It is supposed to not overheat as much. That still doesn't mean it will never overheat. Do you have an external fan for it or a case mod with fans?

They have a smaller chip design I think? It is supposed to not overheat as much. That still doesn't mean it will never overheat. Do you have an external fan for it or a case mod with fans?

They are supposed to have a 65 nanometer chipset, which is supposed to make them run cooler, thus eliminating the RROD. Who knows if it actually worked, though.

Guest mrhobbz
They are supposed to have a 65 nanometer chipset, which is supposed to make them run cooler, thus eliminating the RROD. Who knows if it actually worked, though.

From what I've read the heatsinks are actually attached properly as well.

yeah i have nothing attached to it, but i would consider a fan of some sort. would EB or gamestop be a place to get this?